Close

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. Well, y'all may know (or not) that my daily driver is an '03 Ranger. Just paid it off, too.

Thought I had a pic in my photobucket, but you all know what a Ranger looks like. Kinda boring. So it's time to spice it up a little. I've always loved '59 Caddy tail lights, and now that I'm back at the carbon-fiber shop with access to tools and materials, it's time to make that happen!

4-inch tube made at the shop yesterday. One wrap of 1/2-oz fiberglass for a smooth finish, followed by 2 wraps of 3K carbon for strength. It cuts with scissors.

Negative form that I'll use to scribe the cut lines on the existing lenses. Then the tubes will go in. I started to build some housings, then had an aha moment and decided to just hack up the old lights. Much easier and there'll be no problems when it comes to the install.

The finish turned out moderately awesome. The key is to tightly wrap the form (in this case a PVC pipe) with mylar before the layup. That way you get a mirror finish, and you can get the wrap off the pipe.

Sneak preview. The lights shipped yesterday!
    This don't look like no expressway to me! - Jake Blues
    QUOTE QUOTE #1

2. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Now that's what I call a big model. Nice job with the carbon fiber OB! Sure beats my ol' school sheet metal, hammer and dolly techniques.

You gonna do a sunken power antenna too? Please post more....this old dog never stops learning.
    Grandpa McGurk.....Steppin' Large and Livin' easy.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #2

3. The project is still in early days, so there's not much else to tell.

We get too much snow to do a sunken antenna, and the paint is still in pretty good shape, so any major hacking will have to wait. I'm confining it to easy bolt-on stuff for now.

I'll have to get some rattle cans mixed so I can paint the taillight pods, and I'll start on a roll pan soon. That one will be a full-on foam/fiber creation with sunken backup lights.

I know I'm taking the easy way out making this a bolt-on, but there's no access to the tail lights from the backside, so doing a proper job of it with welded sheetmetal is impractical, and I don't have a welder anyway. I'm plenty good with plastic, so this way it's do-able and only a couple screws will give away the fact that it's a bolt-on.
    QUOTE QUOTE #3

4. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Nuthin' wrong with that. Jeff did a lick and stick on his PT cruiser.
    I have a primo '96 SWB F-150 driver that will get slammed....but other than that...just bolt-on's and easy mods.

Now that I'm retired I'm doing a ground up rod for myself. Mostly glass and wood for the body. So if not too troublesome, I may be picking your brain from time to time about the carbon fiber?
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #4

5. Herman's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Herman
    I am sure OBH can jump in with advise, and if I see the question, I will try and respond as well... (I am a wholesaler of stuff like carbon, epoxy 1:1 kustom project , polyester, etc in the Netherlands)
    QUOTE QUOTE #5

6. Ask away, Grandpa. CF is pretty much like fiberglass, only a lot stronger.

Got started on my roll pan, but didn't have time to run down to the shop to finish it. It's an hour each way and I don't wanna miss dinner.
    QUOTE QUOTE #6

7. Here's a look at what the tails will look like:

These are the abandoned foam cores

Foam core of the roll pan:

Wrapped in carbon:

(no resin 1:1 kustom project pics, with a 20-minute pot life you gotta work fast)

In the vacuum bag:

This sucks. Hard.

QUOTE QUOTE #7

8. It's on like Donkey Kong!

No turning back now...

Tubes installed

Left side is almost ready for paint
    QUOTE QUOTE #8

9. Color me impatient:

Right side's still sportin' a single, but I'll put that right soon enough.
    QUOTE QUOTE #9

10. Here's some detail shots:

Lenses push in from the front, retained by screws in the side of the chrome bezels

Molex plugs

Ready for installation

Now to tackle the roll pan and body-color the front bumper.
    QUOTE QUOTE #10

11. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Ah yes.... Flash 1:1 kustom project Gordon's shuttle has arrived. Excellent install Busted.
    How hard did the Caddy lights slap the piggy bank around?
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #11

12. Grandpa, the lights were about $100 shipped Priority, not a bad deal at all.

Hacked some more out of the roll pan, sanded a couple hours and painted:

I know you can buy 'em, I just wanted to see if I could pull it off.
    QUOTE QUOTE #12

13. Almost done now. Roll pan is mounted:

Backup lights:

I'd originally planned to use some small utility lights as backups, but didn't like the way they looked. So I epoxied the original bulbs to the metal bases (bulb unit clips into the gray base, so they can be changed) and made these bezels from RC car wheels and lenses from out of a gumball machine. Yes really.

Last edited by Old Busted Hotness; 09-04-09 at 11:27 AM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #13

14. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    I like it! Did you add a tag light?
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #14

15. Sort of... There's an OEM light embedded in the foam next to the tag. It doesn't throw much light; there's no way you could read the tag at night, but it [I]is[/I] a light. Legal? Possibly. I don't drive at night much so I ain't too worried.
    QUOTE QUOTE #15