Close

Best wax & polishing compound to use on models
Goal amount for this year: 518 USD, Received: 415.00 USD (80%)
Scalemotorcars is a free and open community devoted to scale modeling. The heart and soul of Scalemotorcars is our global community of over 10,000+ contributors, millions of readers, and donors like yourself all united to share unlimited access to reliable information. Your donations keep Scalemotorcars freely available to everyone.

This years bandwidth costs, hosting service, domain registration, software licensing fees, and maintenance cost have a balance of $518 due by the end of August, (extended to the end of Septembers). Please help us keep Scalemotorcars growing by making a donation today.
Thank you.

Best wax & polishing compound to use on models Best wax & polishing compound to use on models Best wax & polishing compound to use on models Best wax & polishing compound to use on models Best wax & polishing compound to use on models
Accepted Payment Types

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Martin_G's Avatar Active Member
    Hi Guys,

What do y'all think is the best wax & polishing compound to use on a large scale kit painted with 2 part Lacquer Best wax & polishing compound to use on models paint (color coat & clear coat Best wax & polishing compound to use on models ) in order to get a real nice shine with no orange peel Best wax & polishing compound to use on models or other imperfections.

I mostly use Tamiya Best wax & polishing compound to use on models or Model Master lacquer Best wax & polishing compound to use on models paint on bodies & frames. I use the MM "Ultra Clearcoat" . It does ok but I think it could be a little better with the final finish.

I sand Best wax & polishing compound to use on models between coats using 1500 then 2000 grit.

If anyone has a favorite wax or polishing compound then let us hear your thoughts or share your technique!!

Thanks,

Martin
    QUOTE QUOTE #1

2. mouppe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    I use Micro-mesh products. They used to make a kit for modellers which contains 6 sanding Best wax & polishing compound to use on models pads of various abrasions, a polishing compound and cloths.

Can't remember where I bought it...maybe Micro-Mark?

Mouppe.
    QUOTE QUOTE #2

3. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    MicroMesh Best wax & polishing compound to use on models !! That's the company that makes those sanding Best wax & polishing compound to use on models pads. I didn't remember who made those pads but they're excellent. I've also seen the Novus Best wax & polishing compound to use on models products which I believe is a two part process. They put the final shine on the finish. The last thing I would do is put on a good quality car wax.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #3

4. mouppe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    HFC,

I remember using Turtle wax on my yellow Alfa, and the green colour of the wax stained the paint job slightly. I think sometimes the car waxes can be a little too harsh for modellers' paint and I would be cautious about using it again on a light colour.

Mouppe.
    QUOTE QUOTE #4

5. Martin_G's Avatar Active Member
    I thought that lacquer Best wax & polishing compound to use on models for models was basically the same as used on a full size car except the formula won't soften or melt styrene Best wax & polishing compound to use on models plastic.

What kind of paint did you use that was stained by the wax(enamel, lacquer Best wax & polishing compound to use on models , acrylic Best wax & polishing compound to use on models )?

Best wax & polishing compound to use on models
    QUOTE QUOTE #5

6. mouppe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    It was enamel Best wax & polishing compound to use on models paint and I would only ever use lacquers in the future. I suspect that the enamel Best wax & polishing compound to use on models was not 100% dry, but nonetheless I have found lacquers to be superior in every way.

Mouppe.
    QUOTE QUOTE #6

7. Buildlarge's Avatar Established Member
    Novus Best wax & polishing compound to use on models and Micro-Mesh both are great products. But they alone are where many stop, however after all that work, seal the job with a coat of good ole car wax, and as has been pointed out this can stain a uncured paint job. Before you use that car wax, try on a test piece before you apply to that project you have been working f/the past year. Novus Best wax & polishing compound to use on models and Micro-Mesh both are sold as polish, however they really act as a buffing compound that remove micro imperfections that results in a shine, but the wax really seals the job and protects the finished paint job. Why would anyone think it would be any different than for 1/1 Best wax & polishing compound to use on models autos. Work the wax slow, do not just smear on and use a baby diaper to buff out. If you decide to take a short cut by using any elect tool to buff, do so @ the models risk. The results of a slick paint job is in the prep, application, finish, cure Best wax & polishing compound to use on models and sealing (waxing), this adds up to a Show Stopper Finish.
    QUOTE QUOTE #7

8. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    You got that right, Rick. I definitely wouldn't use a wax with a color in it. The stuff I'm talking about is white and mostly liquid. I would also use it very sparingly and go easy with it. If anyone has a really good product, let us know. the more education we can get, the fewer boo boos should result. I'd hate to lay down a gorgeous paint job only to have it eaten up by a wax product.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #8

9. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth
    Try this I use this on my XKE it wipes on then hand buff off with no buildup, no kerosene base resulting in white areas. It is a little pricey and is usually only available at body shop supply outlets. I have used this for years with great results.

Ken
    Last edited by xken; 08-12-09 at 06:47 AM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #9

10. I use rocks.

This don't look like no expressway to me! - Jake Blues
    QUOTE QUOTE #10

11. There seems to be a consensus in some circles to always use clear coats on everything.
    Maybe this covers up bad paint application, I don't know, but I wouldn't use it on a subject that wasn't likely to have a lacquer Best wax & polishing compound to use on models on the real car. For instance a vintage Rolls, an Alfa or Bugatti wouldn't have had clear lacquer Best wax & polishing compound to use on models whereas a more modern Corvette or suchlike may have had and it is certainly needed with metallics especially of the base coat Best wax & polishing compound to use on models variety.

Micromesh Best wax & polishing compound to use on models and Novus Best wax & polishing compound to use on models 2 are favourites but I haven't had much luck with Novus Best wax & polishing compound to use on models 1 which I found tends to dull the finish a little and that's annoying. 'The Treatment' wax made by Treatment Products Chicago is a very good Carnuba fine wax and is readily available but if you are using Automotive acryllics Turtlewax Colour Magic is very good. That may sound surprising as it is a coloured wax but as it very fine the colour doesn't have to match the paint exactly. I have black, white, red, yellow and green and use all of them occasionally and it does tend to cover tiny imperfections. Always test a little, as usual, but using a darker shade of the wax than the paint actually enhances panel lines without having any effect on the paint itself other than giving it a shine.

................just thought I'd add my two penny worth even if it is a little controversial.

Martin
    QUOTE QUOTE #11

12. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Martin, first...thanks for the informative opinion. It all gets back to the individual modelers. I think the important thing here is that the individual suits himself. There are many finishes out there and for the most part, produce excellent results.
    Ultimately it's going to be up to them to "discover" what works best for them.

Airbrushes and real world finishes aren't every one's cup of tea....that's understandable, however by presenting them all here on the forum we can hopefully save the builder from repeating some of our mistakes and he has the opportunity to pick and choose...that's the best game in town.
    Grandpa McGurk.....Steppin' Large and Livin' easy.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #12

13. 87fierogt's Avatar Active Member
    i like to use the ice synthetic wax and i am almost 100% positive they make rubbing compound also along many other things. this stuff makes paint shine like you wouldnt belive. it doesnt leave any chalky white stuff if you leave it sit to long. it is expensive compared to alot out there but it comes with a very soft pad made for it and if your useing it for models it will last you years. my dad has the same bottle he bought right when it came out and he still has just under a 1/4 left and he uses it on the black fiero/his ram work truck,the 90lx stang,i use it on my car, and all except my car gets it once a month it makes the fieros paint look very deep
    QUOTE QUOTE #13

14. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    O.B. I'm amazed at the skill and precision you mustered up to apply the rock chipped, well used finish.
    Grandpa McGurk.....Steppin' Large and Livin' easy.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #14

15. Herman's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Herman
    the only thing I have waxed so far was a Bugatti by Pocher, with a slightly dull and aged or attacked black paint of unknown origin.

I just used some Farecla fine compound, and Farecla wax to shine her up. This brought the shine back perfectly. So for me regular automotive stuff is OK.
    QUOTE QUOTE #15