Close

1. Rick's Avatar Member
    Name
    Rick
    I've just done a three day blitz of some car museums and the Grand National Roadster Show in the Los Angeles area and thought you'd be interested in what I saw.

Our first stop was the Nethercutt Collection. This is a private collection owned by the family that owns Merle Norman Cosmetics. The museum tour is free and its a must see.
    There's about 200 cars on display in two buildings. One building is a walkabout and the other is for registered tour's only. We were fortunate that we were able to get into both buildings and believe me this collection was the highlite of our three days. This collection is a must see if you are in the L.A. area. Check their website for more information.

Our next stop was the Peterson. I'd heard a lot about it, but to be honest it was disappointing. Haveing said that, I'd still recommend it if you are in the area because they continually change the displays.

Our third stop of the day was at the Wally Parks NHRA Museum. Like the Nethercutt, this is a must see anytime you are in the Los Angeles area. The collection of cars and memorabilia may seem small but there's a wonderfull history of drag raceing in this building and you could easily spend half a day doing the tour.

We spent Friday and Saturday at the Grand National Roadster Show at the Pomona Fairplex. I'd been to the Roadster Show years ago when it was in Oakland but to see a show thats in seven arena size buildings is quite an experience, especially when you include several hundred cars parked outside on the grounds. All the heavy hitters were there competing for the big trophy and the quality of the builds was amazing. There was even a handbuild Boydster style deuce that was said to have cost over one million dollars to build. To say it was perfect is an understatement. One of the more interesting buildings was the Suede Palace that was full of rat rods. In addition to the cars, their whole "culture" is really cool. Unfortunatly, the model car display, which has been huge in the past, was a complete bust this year. There were none on Friday and on Saturday afternoon about a dozen small scale cars were on display. Last time I went to this show there were over 200 models shown.
    UPDATE: according to another site, a bunch of models showed up later Saturday.

You can visit the three museums anytime, but for my money doing it during the GNRS was a great experience. Even if you go to a show this big only once, it will be an experience you'll never forget.
    Last edited by Rick; 01-26-09 at 06:50 PM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #1

2. Rick's Avatar Member
    Name
    Rick
    Here's a few shots of the Nethercutt. Sorry about the quality, but this will give you an idea of how incredible the collection and the buildings are.
    Attached Images Attached Images GNRS, Nethercutt, Petersen & NHRA Museums-012-jpg  GNRS, Nethercutt, Petersen & NHRA Museums-016-jpg  GNRS, Nethercutt, Petersen & NHRA Museums-017-jpg  GNRS, Nethercutt, Petersen & NHRA Museums-021-jpg 
    Last edited by Rick; 01-26-09 at 07:21 PM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #2

3. ScaleMotorcars's Avatar Administrator
    Name
    Daniel
    You did get to see the collection. To bad I'm on the east coast now I could have shown you all around So-Cal. Man I hate missing GNRS and the Pomona car show. I still need to get around here and dig in weeks for a project car.
    QUOTE QUOTE #3

4. Daytonatim's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    I got to visit the Peterson Museum about 12 years ago. The one thing I remember the most about it was a "display" they had for Ferrari. If you pushed the button on the display you got to hear a vintage mid 60's V-12 rip through all its gears!!

It would send chills through you!!

Do they still have that display there?
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity, lick it once and you will suck forever.....!!!
    QUOTE QUOTE #4

5. ScaleMotorcars's Avatar Administrator
    Name
    Daniel
    I don't think so. They change displays all the time.

One of my favorite visits was with the Bugatti Royal on display. They had the nerve to display it on a huge auto turntable.

It made a sound also but but not a good one. That turntable wasn't built for a car that size. Can you image a Royal turning slowly around as its platform steadily creaks and grinds. Its enough to send chills down your spine.
    QUOTE QUOTE #5

6. Rick's Avatar Member
    Name
    Rick
    Anybody who wants to visit the Petersen should first check with them to see whats on display as it changes regularly. On our visit, the hot GNRS, Nethercutt, Petersen & NHRA Museums rod section was closed because they were changing it. I'd probably pass on this museum next time and spend more time at the NHRA Museum.
    QUOTE QUOTE #6

7. Tage's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Daniel
    In the mid 1970's I visited the Briggs-Cunningham musem.
    I got there early and was the only one there beside Briggs-Cunningham himself.
    Got a very personal tour, and was allowed to sit in the Bugatti Royal he had on display.
    The photos do not do this auto justice, it is so well proportioned do do not grasp how huge it is until you stand next to it and the top of the tire comes all the way up to your crotch. Didn't get to sit in the GT40, . It was a memorable tour.

I wonder if his collection is still together?

The Bugatti you mention, may be the one from the Briggs-Cunningham musem.
    They are NOT a common automobile.
    Last edited by Tage; 01-27-09 at 12:51 PM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #7