Close

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Rick's Avatar Member
    Name
    Rick
    I was browsing one of the small scale forums and found a great thread called "Lets See Your Engines". There's five pages full of photos of some great small scale engines built by forum members.

We have a great variety of engine builders here, so........"Lets see your engines". It dosen't matter if they are automotive, motorcycle, boat or plane. As long as they are large scale, finished or not, kit or scratchbuilt, show us what you've got.
    QUOTE QUOTE #1

2. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth
    Here is my scratchbuilt out of brass engine 1/16th scale. This was my first attempt at an inline engine while teaching myself how to work with brass.

QUOTE QUOTE #2

3. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth
    This is my current project in progress, a seven cylinder for a N2S Stearman biplane. Again scratch build Lets See Your Engines using brass in 1/15th scale. Still lots of work to do. I pace myself bewteen building engine components and the rest of the plane; presently on the upper wing.

QUOTE QUOTE #3

4. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth
    This is the rotary engine I built for my 1/15th scale Sopwith Camel; again all brass. This engine rotated with the propeller versus the radial which was stationary.

Here is a closeup showing the warning plate. "In the event of the propeller or engine being removed gun MUST be retimed." This kept propellers from being shot off. Kind of makes you wonder how many were shot off before the warning plate was put on. On some planes these were also attached to the front of the cowl.

Last edited by xken; 01-21-09 at 11:39 AM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #4

5. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Oh my....are you checking these out Mario? Simply incredible.
    Grandpa McGurk.....Steppin' Large and Livin' easy.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #5

6. Rick's Avatar Member
    Name
    Rick
    Amazing!! You must be very proud.

How about letting us follow along on your next build.

Lets See Your Engines
    QUOTE QUOTE #6

7. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth
    How about letting us follow along on your next build.
    Already posted here a while back, visit link below in Large Scale Planes.

http://www.scalemotorcars.com/forum/...-stearman.html
    QUOTE QUOTE #7

8. Tage's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Daniel
    Don't forget the little competition we had last August...
    http://www.scalemotorcars.com/forum/...17-2008-a.html
    QUOTE QUOTE #8

9. sydeem's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Sydney
    I had hoped this kit would help me in my quest to build a stock 1934 flathead engine in 1/8 but the accessory parts were strictly 1948 version so I am no further along than before.

The kit was extremely easy and fast to assemble because all the parts snapped into place. The only glue really required was to assemble the block. The kit used metal die cast block sides (maybe so they could put Die Cast in big letters on the box). Everything was pre-painted and well detailed as shown by the distributor picture. The only parts I repainted were the fuel pump assembly, the pan (black just to add some difference) and the carburetor assembly because there were gaps needed filling as shown. I did detail paint most of the bolts.

If somebody can point me to a 1/6 flathead hot Lets See Your Engines rod engine kit it might make a neat before and after display. Seems like all the 1/6 kits are big block or other makes.
    Attached Images Attached Images Lets See Your Engines-1948-flathead-left-jpg  Lets See Your Engines-1948-flathead-jpg  Lets See Your Engines-block-jpg  Lets See Your Engines-block-assy-jpg  Lets See Your Engines-distributor-jpg  Lets See Your Engines-oil-breather-jpg  Lets See Your Engines-hawk-flathead-box-jpg 
    Syd
    QUOTE QUOTE #9

10. Bob Cline's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Bob
    Is this what you're looking for. If so, PM me and we'll discuss.
    Attached Images Attached Images Lets See Your Engines-fh-speed-jpg 
    No Lathe, No Mill, No CNC
    QUOTE QUOTE #10

11. sydeem's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Sydney
    That is some nice sculpting Bob but I bet it is in 1/8. It would make a nice late 40s early 50s hot Lets See Your Engines flathead but I was more thinking of one of the 1/6 kits and hoping someone would say that "X" is really the same as an early flathead with extreme horsepower just to put alongside the stocker with minimum effort. That Hawk kit just fell together almost overnight.

Really what I want to do someday is build an original 1934 three window with mechanical brakes etc. I just never seem to get the details right for the chassis. I did come close earlier with the engine but am going back to better detail it now.
    Syd
    QUOTE QUOTE #11

12. Bob Cline's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Bob
    Syd,

It's 1/6 to fit the Hawk 1948 FH.
    No Lathe, No Mill, No CNC
    QUOTE QUOTE #12

13. Tage's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Daniel
    I chose to do this as a used, but loved engine.

I hope the photos will speak for themselves.

from this...
    Attached Images Attached Images Lets See Your Engines-3rd-2009-ipms-jpg  Lets See Your Engines-426_hemi_left-jpg  Lets See Your Engines-426_hemi_left_front-jpg  Lets See Your Engines-426_hemi_right_front-jpg  Lets See Your Engines-426_hemi_right-jpg  Lets See Your Engines-426_hemi_right_rear-jpg  Lets See Your Engines-426_hemi_rear-jpg  Lets See Your Engines-426_hemi_left_rear-jpg  Lets See Your Engines-carbs-jpg 
    Last edited by Tage; 11-15-12 at 03:47 AM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #13

14. Tage's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Daniel
    No Comments?
    QUOTE QUOTE #14

15. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Yep.
    Spring has sprung and the grass is rising. Time for family picnics, gatherings and honey do lists....summer time is just around the corner and the surf is picking up.
    Nice job on the Hemi it's looking sweet......that leaves us old farts to mind the store.
    Grandpa McGurk.....Steppin' Large and Livin' easy.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #15