Close

1. Rick's Avatar Member
    Name
    Rick
    I imagine that many of you are like me and enjoy several different hobbies.

My other hobby is carving birds. I took it up a couple of years ago and have found it to be one of the most enjoyable and relaxing hobbies I've ever done. All my work is done useing either Dreimel or Fordom tools and I almost always use basswood.

I entered my first competition last weekend. It was an international event held in my home town and I won several ribbons, including one first place.

What are your other hobbies?
    Attached Images Attached Images What Other Hobbies Do You Enjoy-107-jpg 
    QUOTE QUOTE #1

2. ScaleMotorcars's Avatar Administrator
    Name
    Daniel
    I build Steampunk contractions. Mostly ray guns from solid brass with lights and sounds swiped from toy guns. Heres a few of my builds. I also have a site but its acting up right now.
    Attached Images Attached Images What Other Hobbies Do You Enjoy-p_0001-jpg  What Other Hobbies Do You Enjoy-p_0006-jpg  What Other Hobbies Do You Enjoy-dsc03411-jpg  What Other Hobbies Do You Enjoy-dsc09034-jpg  What Other Hobbies Do You Enjoy-dsc03427-jpg  What Other Hobbies Do You Enjoy-steampunkfan-png 
    Last edited by ScaleMotorcars; 06-07-11 at 02:13 PM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #2

3. bills69camaro's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    bill
    I enjoy doing artwork, pen and ink and airbrush What Other Hobbies Do You Enjoy illustrations. I also
    enjoy photography but I'm no Skrebneski. One of these days I'll get
    back to more artwork but for now all my free time is spent building
    model cars.

Bill
    QUOTE QUOTE #3

4. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Wow! I didn't know how good you guys were. The birds are exceptional, Rick. Congrats on the win. You definitely deserved that.

Dan, that's one of the most unusual builds I've seen. The style is fantastic as is the workmanship.

Here's what I do when I'm not hacking plastic. First, I play jazz guitar. This is the one I play. It was hand made in NYC in 1939.

I also paint the backs of leather jackets ala WWII style as well as some of the group and squadron What Other Hobbies Do You Enjoy patches. Here's a sample of some of the work I've done over the years.

Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #4

5. 3.Star's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Michael J.
    You guys are all doing real art in your other hobbies. For myself being not that talented, my freetime is spent with rides on my motorcycle and car, when not modelling.

Admiring your skills and work
    Michael
    QUOTE QUOTE #5

6. arimart's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    Angelo
    My greatest hobby, apart from strolling with my classic, has always been American comics. Almost unknown in Italy in the early seventies. A subscription to Daredevil in 1972, then started buying them from dealers'ads on Marvels and DCs. No web, only mimeographed catalogs that took one month to arrive after I had sent the famous SASE (self-addressed-stamped-envelope). And three months to receive goodies via slowboat, apart from the month for my Postal Money Order to clear. But how fun and inexpensive it was...
    Most famous dealer was Howard Rogofsky; Ripoffsky his nickname, tape is not a defect his motto.
    And, since I have no ability, I bught then sold or traded beauties I had better keep for myself, but who could imagine then. A mint copy of Spiderman #1, cost me $125 in 1974, sold it for the equivalent of $250. Sigh....... A "pristine mint", that was the definition then of a newsstand fresh copy, of Green Lantern #76. Cost me $10 from Robert Bell, was a theft, sold it for $20, was a bigger theft. Sigh again...
    But still have a mint lot of Silver Surfer nos 1 thru 18, was so anxious to read them - not yet reprinted here - I had them airmailed for $25, lot costed $18, was a totally insane thing. Will take them to the tomb.
    I have a wantlist, but better keep it buried in my mind, am no millionaire...
    Stock random pics of some from my collection, only pity is I have to keep books in dark and fresh environment, a risk even to turn pages for fear to downgrade. What a shame for a "true believer" (Stan Lee's from the Bullpen Bulletin if someone remembers)
    Attached Images Attached Images What Other Hobbies Do You Enjoy-ss1-jpg  What Other Hobbies Do You Enjoy-ss4-jpg  What Other Hobbies Do You Enjoy-ff48-jpg  What Other Hobbies Do You Enjoy-gl76-jpg  What Other Hobbies Do You Enjoy-cptnamerica113-jpg  What Other Hobbies Do You Enjoy-spidey8-jpg  What Other Hobbies Do You Enjoy-hos92-jpg  What Other Hobbies Do You Enjoy-mis53-jpg  What Other Hobbies Do You Enjoy-wood-rocket-moon-jpg  What Other Hobbies Do You Enjoy-mmanchuwood-jpg  What Other Hobbies Do You Enjoy-fc62-jpg  What Other Hobbies Do You Enjoy-fc71-jpg  What Other Hobbies Do You Enjoy-lbcolemask1-jpg  What Other Hobbies Do You Enjoy-lbcoleterrtal13-jpg  What Other Hobbies Do You Enjoy-swampy7fc-jpg  What Other Hobbies Do You Enjoy-swampy7bc-jpg 
    QUOTE QUOTE #6

7. arimart's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    Angelo
    PS Symbol @ was for "each", "apiece". I first encountered it just on comic book catalogs, was unknown in Italy, didn't understand it at once (had to ask).

Spiderman #31 thru 40, vg cond., $1.50@ 'way back in 1973.

Did you - younger - Americans know?
    QUOTE QUOTE #7

8. ScaleMotorcars's Avatar Administrator
    Name
    Daniel
    Jeff I just love those old bomber jackets.

Ive never been much of an paint & brush guy. The entire paint what you see gets a little lost on me. I tent to stick to things I can either glue, solder, weld, tape or just stick gum under..... The Steampunk stuff can be a bit odd for some people, especially those that think its more of a lifestyle. Just Google it and you'll see what Im talking about. For me its just a blend of my tech side working with computers and building SMC and my antiques side having been an antiques dealer for the last 20 something years. Besides my kids think its the coolest thing ever. Really how many kids can go around saying their dad builds rayguns...
    QUOTE QUOTE #8

9. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Daniel, now I'm going to tell you something that will knock your socks off. Back in the late 1930's until 1946, my mother was a color separator at National DC comics. She also did some of the coloring when needed. She handled some of the comic books that today require a house mortgage to buy like Batman #1 as well as Superman #1 including the Action Comic that Superman first appeared in before Superman #1. Not only that, but when I was 5 years old learning to read in 1955, my first books were comics. My father had a store that sold comic books from 1949 to 1965. In the 10 year period I read comics, I held in my own hands Spiderman #1, Hulk #1, Fantastic 4#1 and Justice League #1 as well as countless Captain America, Wonder Woman, Flash What Other Hobbies Do You Enjoy , Aquaman and Green Lantern comics. If I had what passed through my little hands, I would be a rich man.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #9

10. arimart's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    Angelo
    Jeffrey everybody has a basement or an attic crammed full of dusty things. Give a good look please, find these two then let us deal....1st Silver Age comics (FF and Spidey followed)
    Free accomodation free car for a long holiday in sunny Italy if very fine or better!
    Cheers
    Angelo
    Attached Images Attached Images What Other Hobbies Do You Enjoy-showcase_4-jpg  What Other Hobbies Do You Enjoy-flash-105-jpg 
    QUOTE QUOTE #10

11. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Oh wow. If I find those two comics in my basement, I only will know one thing. I'll know that I'm in somebody else's basement. Finding those would be incredible. I did have the chance a number of years ago to buy a Batman #1 in fair condition but I couldn't afford the $2000 price tag at that time.
    QUOTE QUOTE #11

12. arimart's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    Angelo
    Jeffrey, old comics are so naive and nice and important. Your mom probably worked on these too. What a pride ;)
    Attached Images Attached Images What Other Hobbies Do You Enjoy-worldsfair1940-jpg  What Other Hobbies Do You Enjoy-worldsbest-1-jpg 
    QUOTE QUOTE #12

13. Tage's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Daniel
    I also waste my time with photography and pocket billiards. Mua ha ha...
    Duke of Burl
    QUOTE QUOTE #13

14. gbritnell's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    George
    One of my other hobbies besides modeling and miniature engine building is artwork. It's hard to find the time to do them all but here's some of my drawing/paintings.
    gbritnell

QUOTE QUOTE #14

15. Lancair IV's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Rob
    I just started Home Brewing after my wife gave me a Mr. Beer for our 25th wedding anniversary.

Took about a month to make the Blonde Ale, and was well worth the wait. Good stuff. Getting ready to make 2 gallons of Cowboy Golden lager next week.

Rob Byrnes
    Novi, Mi.

On the Bench
    1:48 Monogram B-17 Flying Fortress (Extreem Detail)
    Scratch build Lancair 235

In the planning Stages
    1:48 US WWII Bombers B-26, B-29

Recently Completed
    1:48 Accurate Miniatures P-51
    1:48 Accurate Miniatures P-51A
    1:48 Accurate Miniatures P-36 Apache
    1:48 Tamiya P-51D
    QUOTE QUOTE #15