Close

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
  1. Deuces-wild's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Guido
    Can anyone come up with a cool idea on how you can chrome kit parts at home without using paint??? I'm willing to bet that ladies who craft nik-naks at home know the secret. I wish I had time today to scroung the net, but I gotta get going to work. If anyone finds anything, please post it here.... Thanks in advance!!
    Be nice or else ~1~**
    QUOTE QUOTE #1

2. ScaleMotorcars's Avatar Administrator
    Name
    Daniel
    I know a way but its not cheap. Do a google search on vacuum metalizing.
    QUOTE QUOTE #2

3. Herman's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Herman
    The only ways of metallizing I know are paints of all sorts (with alclad Chrome your own parts being a nice option), Chrome films (Bare Metal Foil, or even cheap kitchen film) and chroming metal parts with DIY kits of all sorts. Plastic can onl be done by vacuum metallising, see www.vacumetal.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #3

4. Deuces-wild's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Guido
    Thanks Dan! I'll look into it. I was thinking along the lines of chem dip tanks, but on a much smaller scale. Guess I'll have to learn about the processes involved in chroming plastic.
    Be nice or else ~1~**
    QUOTE QUOTE #4

5. ScaleMotorcars's Avatar Administrator
    Name
    Daniel
    Theres also a spray chrome procedure but again, expensive... And theres this stuff. Alsa Killer Chrome. From what Ive heard its fairly good but I dont know how well it would work on plastics. I think it needs to be baked..
    QUOTE QUOTE #5

6. ScaleMotorcars's Avatar Administrator
    Name
    Daniel
    I just read the steps for the Killer Chrome. The stuff seems allot like Alclad Chrome your own parts withouth the airbrush Chrome your own parts but it might be worth trying out if you have a bunch to chrome.

Check this link here on SMC for a video's of the Spray Chrome and below that the Killer Chrome.

Spectra Chrome is best from what Ive read and there might be someone local that could do it cheap. If you opt for the Killer Chrome its about $100 for a full kit.

SPRAY & Killer CHROME
    Last edited by Don Garrett; 10-18-07 at 06:40 AM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #6

7. slingshot's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Here’s a thread from the site I used to work on where a guy did an excellent job using bare metal foil Chrome your own parts and talks about his technique. He did an excellent job of making the aircraft look like aluminum and also hiding the seam where the foil overlapped, that definitely take some practice, I still haven’t got it down yet although I haven’t tried much. I wonder how well it would work with chrome foil? It’s a two part article.

http://www.largescaleplanes.com/arti...p35_partI.html

http://www.largescaleplanes.com/arti...35_partII.html
    QUOTE QUOTE #7

8. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    I like those articles. It may take some practice but I think it might work for some applications. Most BMF Chrome your own parts I've seen always looks crinkly on small models. This aircraft really looks pretty good.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #8

9. Deuces-wild's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Guido
    Quote Originally Posted by ScaleMotorcars View Post
    Theres also a spray chrome procedure but again, expensive... And theres this stuff. Alsa Killer Chrome. From what Ive heard its fairly good but I dont know how well it would work on plastics. I think it needs to be baked..
    Thanks for the link Dan. I'll do some reading on it this weekend.
    Be nice or else ~1~**
    QUOTE QUOTE #9

10. Bob Cline's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Bob
    Quote Originally Posted by ScaleMotorcars View Post
    The only thing Killer Chrome does is kill your wallet!

Last winter 3 of us ACME club members got together and made a side by side comparison with it, Alclad Chrome your own parts and Testor's metalizers. We used plastic spoons as a test base.

The results of our subjective, but unamious, test was that Killer Chrome came in behind Alclad Chrome your own parts and more or less tied with the Testors.

All products were air dried. The results were without clear product to be used over the Killer Chrome. When we applied the clear it made it look like your typical hardware store aluminum paint.

The test was conclusive - save your money. One poor guy in the club was out over $100 for the KC!
    No Lathe, No Mill, No CNC
    QUOTE QUOTE #10

11. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Thanks Bob. You just saved a bunch of us a hundred bucks. I haven't played around with the Alclad Chrome your own parts yet but I did find a way to make the Testor's metalizer Chrome your own parts work better. There's also the SNJ stuff. The company was supposed to go out of business but at the eleventh hour, someone bought the company and is still producing the stuff.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #11

12. Herman's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Herman
    That's an interesting test. Next thing that comes to my mind: Most chrome parts need some handling afterwards to be mounted on the car. (or in case of a Bugatti: everything under the hood is alu, polished alu, chrome and polished steel).

Does Alclad Chrome your own parts , Killer or Testors stand up to the handling?
    QUOTE QUOTE #12

13. ScaleMotorcars's Avatar Administrator
    Name
    Daniel
    Thanks BOB... Good stuff to know and your right that killer chrome is a killer on the wallet.
    QUOTE QUOTE #13

14. Deuces-wild's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Guido
    Well... I guess the killer stuff is a no no Back on the drawing boards. Thanks Bob!
    Be nice or else ~1~**
    QUOTE QUOTE #14

15. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    I don't think any one of them will stand up to heavy handling without a sealer coat. That's where you get the dulling effect. I have some experimenting to do.
    QUOTE QUOTE #15