Close

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Since I wasn't going to finish my contest entry, I decided to fool around with something else on the "to do" list. Here are a few pictures of Big Al (1/8 scale Allison 1710 v-12 aircraft engine) built in its aircraft configuration. It's supposed to go into a P40 diorama I'm building. I decided that if I were going to build a 1/32 scale Allison in the engine bay, I'd need a big 3D reference. This be it. It's not complete but fairly close to completion. Several more parts need to be added as well as a bunch more plumbing Big Al comes Alive and wiring.
    Attached Images Attached Images Big Al comes Alive-dscn0259-jpg  Big Al comes Alive-dscn0265-jpg  Big Al comes Alive-dscn0273-jpg  Big Al comes Alive-dscn0274-jpg 
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #1

2. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth
    HFC Now that is looking good. How about a peeny the next picture for a sense of scale.

Ken
    QUOTE QUOTE #2

3. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Thanks Ken. You're right, I forgot my scale guide. I've got the kit itself together but now it's off the add a couple of hundred bolt heads, the rest of the wiring and an engine stand. At some time in the near future, I'm going to try and add the P40B timing case and prop stem. I've got to scratch build Big Al comes Alive that but it doesn't look too difficult. I'll get some more pictures tonight and post those.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #3

4. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Here are some more pictures with all the parts from the kit assembled. Now the real work begins. I've started to add the bolts, rivets and nuts but it looks like I haven't made a dent. I also have to make some aluminum closure plates to go over several ports. My research really doesn't show a lot of plumbing Big Al comes Alive and wiring on a static engine so I'm going to do it up like that. Im also going to be adding some weathering Big Al comes Alive for realism. The next thing I'll need to do is make a wooden engine stand like I did for the TDR Big Al comes Alive 426.

Now for a review of this kit. First of all, would I recommend this kit to builders. The answer to that question is a resounding--- YES. Despite the usual concern about the grainy surface which was really not that much of a concern, the model is a faithful recreation of the Allison V12 1710. If you need to know how to take care of the graininess, just look at all the work sydeem (Syd Deem) and Daytonatim have done with their TDR Big Al comes Alive models. The graininess is highly manageable and not much of an obstacle to a good result.

Would I recommend this model to a beginner? The answer is also a resounding yes. This is a very good kit for a beginner to learn how to handle a TDR Big Al comes Alive kit. With a bit of sanding Big Al comes Alive on mating surfaces, the fit off all parts is fantastic. The parts are not too delicate and made fairly strong without being overly thick and clunky. I only broke one small edge on one part and that was because of one of my own pinheaded actions and not the fault of the kit. The number of parts is not excessive and frustrating to a beginner.Even if no superdetailing is done, the finished product still looks great for display.

For the advanced builder, this kit offers tons of potential for superdetailing and literally begs for it. The sky's the limit on this point. There is plenty of good research material on the net to show what goes where. If more help is needed, I have some additional pictures that I'm willing to share with anyone who needs them. If anyone needs detailing help, I'd be happy to help there also. You did a great job with this one TDR Big Al comes Alive . Would there possibly be an offering for a nice Merlin or a Pratt and Whitney 2800? hint hint.
    Attached Images Attached Images Big Al comes Alive-dscn0276-jpg  Big Al comes Alive-dscn0278-jpg 
    Last edited by hot ford coupe; 01-29-11 at 11:28 PM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #4

5. Shel's Avatar Active Member
    Hi HFC,

That's a very nice job. I'm glad to see you're building it in its original aircraft version. It's going to look pretty sharp when you're done I'm sure.

Shel
    QUOTE QUOTE #5

6. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Thanks Shel. I'm still adding bolt heads and nuts to the modedl. There's still some wiring to do but I've got that almost done. I'm working the engine stand so it can stand alone.
    QUOTE QUOTE #6

7. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    I've finished the engine stand so now I have something to rest the model on so I can finish it. My biggest problem is that each time I look at my research, I find something else to add. I have a funny feeling that I'll always be adding something to the model so you can consider it finished. More picures to come when I can get the lighting better.
    Attached Images Attached Images Big Al comes Alive-dscn0311-copy-jpg 
    QUOTE QUOTE #7

8. strevo's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Steve
    Wow Jeff. Looks great!
    "Success and failure are the same choice; only attitude determines the difference." Ross A. Halliday
    QUOTE QUOTE #8

9. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Thanks Steve. I just made the rounds today at Hobby Lobby, Michael's and Hancock Fabrics. I found some cool supplies and ways to improve the model some more. More pics to follow.
    QUOTE QUOTE #9

10. rob8802's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Robert
    That Allison looks great.There just something about the all v-12 that just make's the hair on the back of my neck stand up when it comes to life.Great job on the stand also.
    QUOTE QUOTE #10

11. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Thanks to all for the kind words. Just to let you know, Big Al is now complete. It's configured up as close as I could get to a P40 engine. Some of the things I added are spark plugs, plug wires,the plug wiring harness tubes (brass) the water pipes at the front of the heads, a lot of nuts and bolts, the aluminum mesh over whatever that thing is in the rear of the engine, sundry pipes and tubes and the engine stand. It's not weathered yet but I might do that later on and at a later date, I will try to fabricate the transmission and timing cover over the front of the engine. I'll be here to answer anyone's questions on this assembly. Thanks for looking in.
    Attached Images Attached Images Big Al comes Alive-dscn0312-jpg  Big Al comes Alive-dscn0314-jpg  Big Al comes Alive-dscn0316-jpg  Big Al comes Alive-dscn0318-jpg  Big Al comes Alive-dscn0325-jpg  Big Al comes Alive-dscn0326-jpg  Big Al comes Alive-dscn0332-jpg  Big Al comes Alive-dscn0329-jpg  Big Al comes Alive-dscn0334-jpg  Big Al comes Alive-dscn0338-jpg  Big Al comes Alive-dscn0339-jpg  Big Al comes Alive-dscn0341-jpg  Big Al comes Alive-dscn0343-jpg 
    QUOTE QUOTE #11

12. semijoe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    joe
    this is a beauty of an engine. jaw dropping out come

ive contacted tdr Big Al comes Alive for a 1/12 version. very nice person to talk to.

would you happen to have pictures of the build ?
    QUOTE QUOTE #12

13. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Nice job on the Al Jeff.....you gonna scratch build Big Al comes Alive a plane to it in, LOL.
    Remember, it will be so big it will need it's own zip code.
    Grandpa McGurk.....Steppin' Large and Livin' easy.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #13

14. Tage's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Daniel
    Nice work!
    Engines are my favorite build.
    QUOTE QUOTE #14

15. Daytonatim's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Nice to see one of our babies grow up into a fine looking model!!!!!

Good Job Jeff!!!!
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity, lick it once and you will suck forever.....!!!
    QUOTE QUOTE #15