Close

1. Bugatti Fan's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    Noel
    Recently learnt that Scale Auto Magazine will be ceasing publication, their last copy scheduled for October this year 2020.
    I think that Kalmbach will be integrating Scale Auto into their companion publication Fine Scale Modeler, a general subject scale modelling magazine.
    QUOTE QUOTE #1

2. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    I have been expecting this! The August issue, is only sixty pages long if you count the covers. The content is fine, actually this particular issue is pretty good. But there has been "something" missing for a long time?

I carried the magazine in my shop, and sold 80 to 100 of each issue, all through the 80's and into the 90's. Back then it was Scale Auto Enthusiast, and making models was a favorite pastime for many. -Not any longer.

There production quality is a Kalmback standard. But advertisers are fewer, (20!!!) when in times past it could be north of 50 or 60!!) and most magazines do not survive on subscriptions alone.

The hobby shop directory is sad! Not their fault of course, but I used to advertise in both Scale Auto, and Fine Scale Modeler, and during the best of times, this directory was two or three pages long! This latest issue is not even a half page! - and has 10 entries.

An aside? Were you saddened to see Automobile Quarterly die? -I was! Big time!! -or- Auto Aficionado the short lived sister publication to Cigar Aficionado?

And where is Rodder's Journal? I haven't seen an issue since February? I hope they're ok!

Locally, California, I cannot find the Automobile, (the vintage one).

All we can do is hope that the new merger with FSM, will help bolster up a very nice magazine. -I do hope so.

-Don Sutherland
    -craftsmanship is a lifelong project of
    self-construction and self determination
    QUOTE QUOTE #2

3. Nortley's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Buck
    Today the Scale Auto Contest Cars 2020 advert arrived in the mail. For the first time in my memory, it did not include a subscription renewal offer.
    Scorpio - Builds models the way the prototype should have been built.
    QUOTE QUOTE #3

4. Richard Bartrop's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Richard
    Automobile Quarterly was my favourite car magazine, and I was sad to see it go. What I thought was odd about its demise was that they were talking up their plans right up to the end, and even after they stopped publishing, their website went on for years with word about what was happening.
    QUOTE QUOTE #4

5. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    I think they were confident about finding a new publisher, and then in denial about the situation. "We can't fail?" "We're the best!"

It is hard to accept, when you have worked so hard at something, and been acknowledged as being a stand-out magazine. Then to find that there is no one to step up, and carry the torch!

So? We don't see Duesenbergs, Pierce Arrows, or Delages anymore. -and no more Automobile Quarterly.

Barbarous times!
    -craftsmanship is a lifelong project of
    self-construction and self determination
    QUOTE QUOTE #5

6. Bugatti Fan's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    Noel
    Don, the Automobile is still in print. I have seen it in WHSmith Stationers and Booksellers the UK equivalent of your Barnes and Noble I believe. Might be worth a look on the web re subscription? It is a nice magazine covering mostly vintage autos.
    QUOTE QUOTE #6