Close

1. JunkGTZ's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Larry
    I was taking my daughter to the local library to show her around. She's special needs and wants to be a librarian's assistant so as part of her summer internship we've been looking at book stores and how they are laid out and then the library for comparison. Obviously book stores are thick with coffee table books on things such as muscle cars, etc. and I'm not as interested in those so much but I always love a good backstory about interesting cars and people. In the new arrivals rack at the library was "Faster" by Neal Bascomb. It's about Rene Dreyfus and the Delahaye 145 and how European racing in the 1930's was shaping up to be a nationalistic battlefield. Dreyfus was Jewish as well as being French and Hitler's Germany set about dominating racing as a show of their national superiority via the powerhouses of Mercedes and Auto Union. I'm looking forward to digging into it.

Another book you might enjoy is "Go Like Hell: Ford, Ferrari, and their Battle For Speed and Glory at Lemans" by A. J. Baime. His book is also the subject of the documentary on Netflix entitled the "24 Hour War" as well as the source of some of the storyline in the "Ford vs. Ferrari" movie. There is much more detail in Baime's book about Ken Miles than the movie got into.

I'd be interested to hear of other books about the and the people who made them if you know of any.
    QUOTE QUOTE #1

2. Nortley's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Buck
    Michigan Madman by EJ Potter is a great auto-, ok, motorcyclo - biography of a drag racer. Any work which contains Enzo Ferrari's account of a test drive with Tazio Nuvolari, which may be the best few paragraphs of racing literature.
    Scorpio - Builds models the way the prototype should have been built.
    QUOTE QUOTE #2

3. JunkGTZ's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Larry
    Thanks. I will check them out.
    QUOTE QUOTE #3

4. JunkGTZ's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Larry
    Just finished the book “Faster” mentioned in my first installment of this thread. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Found this clip on YouTube of the Grand Prix de Pau w Rene Dreyfus at the wheel of his Delahaye 145 Grand Prix car. Enjoy!

QUOTE QUOTE #4