Close

Thread: Pocher Kits

1. RGH's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Rick
    This is a tip for those looking to purchase a Pocher kit. Makes no difference where from, just know what you are paying for. In the beginning Pocher spared no expense for the cottage parts they farmed out for the kits. Older FIAT kits came with the chains assembled, these are very, very rare kits to get ahold of. A thing to look for is the parts are in a plastic shelf in the box. That's just one example. The older kits had Nickle plated Pocher Kits parts, ie: the Rolls Royce grill shell.
    Almost all screws were SS. Now as time would go from the 70's into the 80's that would begin to change. The soldier work started being sloppy, the parts were cheaply chromed and the blued steeled parts were replaced with cheap stamp pieces. What I am getting at is this. In todays market you can get burned on a Pocher kit. The plastic is not what most used and becomes very brittle and is very easily broken/warped. So when you see that factory sealed, ONS listing, ask some questions. That label on the flap when you pull the lid off gives a year the kit was mfg'd. I see kits going for over $2800.00 that are the cheap junk kits sealing for 10 times what the really good ones are worth. Do not get me wrong, one is free to ask whatever they deem fit. But for those who know better, they pass on those rare, NIB/sealed, kits. I know collectors now who will as me not buy a sealed kit. You might be buying a sealed box of junk! And paid thru the nose to do so! But if you look hard at the kits and ask for pictures, you can determine if this is the kit you want or not. Example, I am working on a Rolls Royce that I saw the seller said his Grand Father had purchased and never built. That's a good sign. Upon receiving a kit that I paid less than $300.00 for, I received a un-started, complete, older version w/all chrome parts Nickle plated Pocher Kits , the hood ornament is Sterling Silver and all screws are SS. There is a newer version listed right now, stamped metal, breakable screws, brittle plastic, scratched clear parts and the guy is asking $1800.00 . As was once said, a fool is born every minute. I get a laugh at the listing from overseas that is a country that if you had a problem, you can kiss your hard earned bye bye, and they ask the highest prices listed, buyer beware! Just some food for thought, there out there and can be had for a fair price. Just be careful and ask the seller questions. If they baulk, pass it up!
    Rick
    When all else fails, read the instructions.
    QUOTE QUOTE #1

2. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Definitely!

Ask for lots of pictures, and do not be put off by someone who won’t break the plastic film.

20 plus years ago, in my shop, we had the capacity to re-wrap any box. It’s cheap!

AND, kits, especially Pocher kits, are sometimes shipped missing stuff, or damaged.

I once had a $400.00 kit sent to me “factory” sealed, that had my own note in it explaining what was missing, and why it was being returned! This was between me, a retail shop, and the importer/distributor. With two years between the two events.

Things happen, ask for pictures.
    QUOTE QUOTE #2

3. RGH's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Rick
    Quote Originally Posted by MODEL A MODEL View Post
    Definitely!

Ask for lots of pictures, and do not be put off by someone who won’t break the plastic film.

20 plus years ago, in my shop, we had the capacity to re-wrap any box. It’s cheap!

AND, kits, especially Pocher kits, are sometimes shipped missing stuff, or damaged.

I once had a $400.00 kit sent to me “factory” sealed, that had my own note in it explaining what was missing, and why it was being returned! This was between me, a retail shop, and the importer/distributor. With two years between the two events.

Things happen, ask for pictures.
    Wow, I have to admit I have never had that to happen. I have sold a kit to see it turn up on eBay for twice what the seller paid for it. But hey, that's their right I guess. I agree, ask for pictures.
    When all else fails, read the instructions.
    QUOTE QUOTE #3

4. Bugatti Fan's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    Noel
    The older kits were better generally, and as time went on Pocher cut costs on various parts within their kits. That is not to say that a splendid model cannot be built from a later issue kit with inferior parts. Personally, I feel that the Rivarossi produced kits were not all that they were cracked up to be when compared with the 1/12 scale Tamiya Pocher Kits kits for example and do need experienced model builders to do them justice. There must be lots of started and abandoned old Pocher kits out there where the would be builder bit off a bit more than they could chew due to modelling inexperience. Things like the cheaper inferior screws supplied in later issue kits breaking are cause for a lot of grief. Model railway suppliers are a good source of tiny screws, nuts and bolts of good quality. It is a good idea to see what the screw sizes are and obtain a miniature tap wrench and taps to suit, and run the correct tap through every threaded hole in the kit. Believe me this will save a lot of grief when building these kits. I think that Model Motorcars Pocher Kits can supply them, or any good model engineering supplier.
    Last edited by Bugatti Fan; 09-13-20 at 07:01 AM. Reason: typos
    QUOTE QUOTE #4