Close

1. RGH's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Rick
    I am a avid Pocher car builder/collector/seller. I have had so many of them, some here would think I was crazy. I started buying them in the 70's and still to this day, I purchase. Now please allow a old man to rant. As I do as I do about everyday, I prowl eBay for that deal on a Pocher kit. And they are there if one looks hard and ask questions before you hit Buy Now. But guys, the ship charges are just plan stupid. ie: $150.00 to ship, really, what you using a SST to fly to my State. They say things like, handling charge, careful packaging and time ship, timely ship, what the he hocky sticks is timely ship got to do with it. Saw another asking over $1100.00 w/$175.00 f/ship. Really, a started, you have no idea if all is there, you get the usual I do not build them and can not say for sure if complete. You can bet the farm the thing is not complete. And Lord help if you see un-opened, hey, I can go to a guy and he will vacuum seal any box I need done, not that I do because that's just mean. This allows the price to double over the current going prices! Then you look at the sell record and see the guy has been selling on eBay since last month. Ok, can you trust this. I purchased a built Pocher Alfa for $350.00, described as complete and in great shape! Of course, you get the No Return in the description. What they do not know is a refund is due because the description was not honest. Remember I said great shape, the car had been dropped from standing height onto the four wheels. The seller admitted he thought it was in good shape, he knew before selling! The frame/suspension was a bust and could not be salvaged. So after dealing with all this, you get the $175.00 ship charge. I thought eBay put into place a check and balance to keep a buyer from getting ripped from over the top ship charges? I will tell you now, I know better, I know what it cost to ship, heck sent a kit to Russia one time thru UPS, and the charge was $300.00. The buyer was given the price after requesting and I went to UPS to inquire as to the amount for shipment to him. That was and is to this day the most I received for a ship and it all went to UPS! The average price thru UPS and that is with them selling you the box, packaging material/popcorn, their now gas charge and ship is around $75.00 from one sea board to the other. Ok, so too all who are thinking about trying your hand @ a Pocher kit, you know what to exspect to pay to ship, if more than $75.00 and that's a lot, you are getting your arse ripped! Nuff said. To all a good nite!
    When all else fails, read the instructions.
    QUOTE QUOTE #1

2. Egon's Avatar Moderator
    Name
    egon
    I hear you Rick, the postal charges have raised a lot, and if it's ebay shipping program it's just foolish, they don't give a shit about your packed.
    I have earlier wanted some who could send a packet from US to EU as a gift, there are no tax on the arrival.
    We need a reliable service to small money.
    But there will always be some scam artist out there, to sad, this coming from a honest Dane.
    I thinking about a ship container service, if that could work, in a ww union of scale builders, like us all here, ...... any idea someone ?
    QUOTE QUOTE #2

3. Nortley's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Buck
    Over the last couple of years I have had to ship stuff back to the manufacturer for service on a too regular basis. The items are about the weight and cube of a Pocher kit, and of similar value. I am able to use the original boxes instead of having to buy or find boxes and packing material. Even so, there is about an hour's work into packing them right. Then going to ship them off, and the shipping with insurance itself, to the same side of the USA is a not inconsiderable expense. Shipping foreign must be horrendous. On the other side of the coin, I've bought a number of kits on eBay. Most packing jobs are mediocre but adequate, some are works of art, and some consist of a wrap of paper around the kit box which was lucky to make it to my mailbox. Before I'd lump seemingly expensive S&H into the ripoff category, I'd look at the package. A carefully packed rare model arriving intact is worth something, to me anyhow.
    Scorpio - Builds models the way the prototype should have been built.
    QUOTE QUOTE #3

4. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Agreed, but how do you get the other guy to your standards?

I have received packages with great care for something almost of no value, and on the other side, I have received something of great value barely wrapped.
    QUOTE QUOTE #4

5. Nortley's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Buck
    You can only tell ex post open. One idea is to look at the seller's other items. If it's mostly models, you have a chance. If it's a lot of odd stuff with a couple of models, that's the equivalent of a garage sale table except you can't look.
    Last edited by Nortley; 02-14-20 at 07:37 PM.
    Scorpio - Builds models the way the prototype should have been built.
    QUOTE QUOTE #5

6. RGH's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Rick
    I hear and agree with all the comments. The problem is not the USPS or any other shipping company. I agree, UPS can hit you hard. I have sold at least 30 Pocher kits and used both UPS and USPS and other than the crazy price charged for a ship to Russia, the most I have ever paid was $75.00 to the other side of the CONUS. I seem to remember eBay made a big to do about the very same thing I am pissed about. A seller charging a whimsical charge and then thinking a line of BS will make one accept they are ripping you off. Sadly, the only way now to buy Pochers is eBay. I now contact the seller and make it clear I am interested, but if they can not make the ship charge in keeping w/the norm. No deal. And it is not just Pocher kits, the charges from Japan can be stupid too! But hey, guess like everything in todays Politically Correct World, you the buyer are just screwed!
    Rick
    QUOTE QUOTE #6

7. RGH's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Rick
    So far the kits (Pocher) I have bought have came well packaged/sealed. But I too have had some other types received in a package that looked like a 2 year packaged for shipment. I have found better to contact and make it clear you will return if there is damage because the person sent a item not wrapped/packaged properly. IE: I just received a set of scale plans for a ship. Paid dearly for these, was shipped in a paper tube. Not cardboard, paper. The thing was folded in half and twisted. The plans were a loss. Contacted the seller and demanded my money back or replace. My beef is a seller on eBay thinks they can charge whatever and it is ok. I was contacted by a seller from eBay and asked how does one figure the ship charge. It is easy really, eBay will do all that for you upon entering a zip and letting eBay set the ship charge. All one has to do then is print a ship label. But like everything else in todays greedy world, some on eBay have figured out they can make a few extra buck from the ship charge. eBay once made a big deal about this and said they would enforce stricker ship charges, but alas, that went the way of the world, sounds good but never made a reality!
    Rick
    This was in reply to Model a Model
    Last edited by RGH; 02-15-20 at 09:27 PM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #7

8. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Hello, the bulk of my purchases now, are books and magazines, which are almost always well packed, and fairly charged. (Shipping cost wise)

I have in the past purchased tools and accessories, which were more or less well treated. One item was an old vise that had been an “heirloom “ , father to son to son to daughter! Wanted a good home and someone who would use it, not display it as part of a collection.

It’s over 150 years old and gets used a lot!

I also have bought several of the Wingrove Folios off eBay. Where else could you get these things?
    QUOTE QUOTE #8