Close

1. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Hello all,

Has anyone an informed opinion about the 356 models that came out last year? One is a "snap-together" and the other a more detailed glue together model? Both are 1/16th scale. Made by Revell The 1/16th scale Porsche 356 models of Germany I expect the quality to be pretty high, with maybe an extra effort to do justice to a German icon.

-Don
    -craftsmanship is a lifelong project of
    self-construction and self determination
    QUOTE QUOTE #1

2. jbwelda's Avatar Member
    Name
    jbwelda
    They are pretty low level to my eyes, especially for the large scale. The engines are a joke and hardly even worthy of extra detailing. What i don't understand is how they call that coupe a 356B when to my knowledge a B had a single grille on the rear lid, not two, two were the upgrade for the C, and also all the door and trunk lines are too angular for a B, again more like a C. Now it MAY be that a pre-C 356B prototype was sold the last year of production, i do seem to recall something like that, but the much more common configuration for the B was other than what is shown in the model of the supposed B coupe. I owned 3 356Bs over the years, as well as a pre-A coupe and a C coupe, as did a number of my friends, and this was the first thing that struck me (after the total simplicity of the model rendition) about the model: why call it a B coupe when it is obviously much more a C coupe. Check out Fujimi The 1/16th scale Porsche 356 models EM 356 B/C for more correct looking 356B gear.

The other thing that stuck me looking at reviews of the two kits was that the "snap" kit doesn't really seem all that simplified vs the glue kit. Especially in the engine compartment, there are a few more pieces in the glue kit but overall that lump doesn't really resemble much of any Porsche engine i ever had. They could have at least engraved some cooling fins on the cylinders and made an attempt a real looking carbs.

As it is, meh, next.

jb
    Last edited by jbwelda; 05-29-19 at 02:26 AM. Reason: auto spell was changing "coupe" to "couple"!
    QUOTE QUOTE #2

3. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Thank you for the heads-up! Disappointing but informed! Thank you!
    -craftsmanship is a lifelong project of
    self-construction and self determination
    QUOTE QUOTE #3

4. jbwelda's Avatar Member
    Name
    jbwelda
    Well we all have different expectations, and different standards, so I think you should still check some others opinions. Some may actually embrace the simplicity and lack of detail. Still, to me anyway, the larger scale demands increased detail and I was fairly disappointed by what I saw on the coupe especially, and I was having a tough time recognizing a B coupe in what seemed to me to have most of the features of the later C. I just thought the "new" Revell The 1/16th scale Porsche 356 models should have done better especially if they were doing it in a larger scale. I have never actually seen the contents of their 1/16 VW kits but my understanding is they much more detailed.

jb
    QUOTE QUOTE #4