Close

Has Pomboworks died a death? They bought out the Wingrove Plans Service.
Goal amount for this year: 518 USD, Received: 160.00 USD (31%)
Scalemotorcars is a free and open community devoted to scale modeling. The heart and soul of Scalemotorcars is our global community of over 10,000+ contributors, millions of readers, and donors like yourself – all united to share unlimited access to reliable information. Your donations keep Scalemotorcars freely available to everyone.

This years bandwidth costs, hosting service, domain registration, software licensing fees, and maintenance cost have a balance of $518 due by the end of August. Please help us keep Scalemotorcars growing by making a donation today.
Thank you.

Has Pomboworks died a death? They bought out the Wingrove Plans Service. Has Pomboworks died a death? They bought out the Wingrove Plans Service. Has Pomboworks died a death? They bought out the Wingrove Plans Service. Has Pomboworks died a death? They bought out the Wingrove Plans Service. Has Pomboworks died a death? They bought out the Wingrove Plans Service.
Accepted Payment Types

1. Bugatti Fan's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    Noel
    Hi Guys........Anybody know if Stephen Pombo is still operating? No replies to any emails I have sent although his website is sti!!.operating and my emails are not getting rejected. He bought out all the plans service from Gerald Wingrove in order to keep the service going after Gerald retired. I understand that he sent plans to some buyers then suddenly stopped for no apparent reason, and since then cannot be contacted. Anyone know of his whereabouts, or if he has sold the plans service on?
    QUOTE QUOTE #1

2. Jens Andersen's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Jens
    Hi Bugatti fan.
    Yes ! Stephen Pombo has almost evaporated right after he bought Geralds plans and masterpatterns etc. My guess is he still has the copyrigt though.
    I was in contact with Stephen and after I told him I made masterpatterns for Alfa Romeo 2300 and 2900 myself and after advice from Gerald made my own plans wich is not that difficult he seemed surprised and asked me to send him pictures ... After that I never heard from him again and Pomboworks has changed / disappeared .
    If its his choice to ceep all the goods in his drawer its his right to do so. I learned then he was an inventer and had several patents so maybe the project is of no interest for him anymore. At that time there were a lot of Starwars models and other stuff he built on the internet.
    It could just be he chose not to go further with the Wincol services as he has other projects .
    I agree its a shame though .
    After that Gerald always directed people to the Blueprints on the internet and a lot of portfolio is available on the internet too.
    In his Books is several plans and I even found factory drawings of AlfaRomeo one time. Simon More’s books has plans in them and the best portfolios available .
    This is only AlfaRomeo I know but we can do without Stephen Pombo
    Jens Andersen
    QUOTE QUOTE #2

3. Bugatti Fan's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    Noel
    Hi Jens, thank you for the further information about Stephen Pombo. Do you happen to have a postal address for him. I know of a couple of publishers here in the UK who run plans services and may be interested in buying the plans service back from him and running it as intended. From what I heard from another source, Pombo had a nervous bteakdown some time ago, that may explain his site being dormant for ages.
    Kind regards Noel Smith
    QUOTE QUOTE #3

4. Jens Andersen's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Jens
    I will try look for it but I changed my computer since then :(
    I think it was still Wincol at that time . Spombo@ is my best bet today.
    Its a splendid idea to buy them back and I thought of too but could not find him again .
    He had an agreement not to use them as a moneymachine . They should be available for hobbyist and because af that Gerald was reluctant to talk about it or to give out his emailadresse . In fact he felt cheated somehow :( .. sad story .
    Aparently Stephen had partners who might know of his situation. I did understand some of his patents was for a “smart” headset .
    I found information about a Boba Fett helmet with that gadget installed Stephen aparently “invented”
    That would be sad if he sits in a mental institution not knowing of the treasure be bought back then .
    Could it just be the SPombo who made the Vortex car ?? I think so .
    To help out I emaled Vortex and 3 Wheelers to see if he is there !
    English is not my everyday language I hope a small wrongspell or misplaced word is in order ;)
    Where there is a will there is a Way
    Jens Andersen
    Last edited by Jens Andersen; 06-26-19 at 05:28 AM. Reason: Additional information
    QUOTE QUOTE #4

5. Bugatti Fan's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    Noel
    Thanks for the further into Jens. Please let me know if you find out anything else.
    QUOTE QUOTE #5

6. Jens Andersen's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Jens
    No response at all .. sorry
    Jens Andersen
    QUOTE QUOTE #6

7. Jens Andersen's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Jens
    I just had a Pleasent talk with Stephen Pombo .
    Im sure he wont mind I pass the news. This way the modeling community wont have to speculate any more.
    Stephen sadly got sick diagnosed with Parkinson shortly after he bought the plans therefore he had to stop with the plans service and use what energy he had on his work .
    The good news is its his intention to start up again in a few years when he retire.
    He will then make the Wingrove plans available again together with other plans and parts he is developing .
    It is my understanding he he now works with CAD and 3D printers so he might have some interesting projects ready for the future.
    I am 65 and work like the old Boys but Im amazed what is possible today . CadScans and 3D printers..I feel them blowing in my neck already . However I think there will still be work to do for someone like me and those working like me 😉.
    I hope this clears up the mystery of the vanished Wingrove plans. Its all good !
    Jens Andersen
    QUOTE QUOTE #7

8. Bugatti Fan's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    Noel
    Thank you for the further info Jens. Was your contact with Stephen Pombo by telephone, email or by normal post? what is the best way to contact him now?
    QUOTE QUOTE #8

9. Jens Andersen's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Jens
    Please hold your horses !
    Stephen Pombo is a private man and a successfull businessmann and I have no doubt it is his intention to make the plans available in the near future .
    If he puts the lot up for auction it could just run Wild and fetch a lot of money. He has all the rights to plans and portfolio together with the masterpatterns !
    Im here to help but Im not going to give out my contacts and as I understand its against the forum rules.
    I dont know any of you privatly and I work as a modelbuilder proffessionally .
    Modelbuilder Jens Andersen. Denmark
    QUOTE QUOTE #9

10. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Hello Jens, changing the subject just a little, apologies Noel, regarding the other modelers on Mr. Wingroves website?

Are you able to contact any of them?

Francisco Pulido, and Tom Kirn, and the gentleman who made the Voisin?
    QUOTE QUOTE #10

11. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    It would be great to get them here, on this forum.

To further display their works, and maybe to hear their experiences with the Wingroves?

They all would be most welcome!
    QUOTE QUOTE #11

12. Jens Andersen's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Jens
    With that I can help :).
    In Modelmakers Showcase on the Gerald Wingrove site he wrote a small note on top about the scratchbuilders he found worth mentioning and how to contact them .
    He was a Craftsman who didnt stop for anything to get the job done with simple tools and his magic hands. Him and Phyllis traveled the world to collect data for their projects.
    His last build the ship “Falls of Clyde” was his last masterpiece . The tools he made for that build is small beautys and artwork in itself.
    A wonderfull helpfull person and an extraordinary talented craftsman. Thats how he should be remembered!
    I hope you will be able to find the builders and have them tell their story !
    Jens Andersen
    QUOTE QUOTE #12