Close

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Mr.Tin's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    Martin
    Having finished the brass master for the Vincent Black Shadow in 1/6th scale I need to find a fine tube that can be slid over oil unions and pipes, etc. Between 1mm and 1.5mm internal diameter, black, ideally. I'm sure someone must use something like that somewhere.

Thanks,
    Martin
    A man needs a plan...and a shed
    QUOTE QUOTE #1

2. Egon's Avatar Moderator
    Name
    egon
    Are you talking brass pipes, look for thinwall pipes, a picture of problem would help
    QUOTE QUOTE #2

3. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    I assume flexible? What OD?

Many ways to go.

A picture or two would be helpful.
    -craftsmanship is a lifelong project of
    self-construction and self determination
    QUOTE QUOTE #3

4. Mr.Tin's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    Martin
    1.5 ish ID and very little more OD, flexible plastic, preferably black. It's for the oil and petrol pipes that need to slip onto the carburetors and oil banjos.
    Oil pipe tube, etc.-img_2643-jpg
    The only picture I have that isn't in a book is this. The pipe goes on a banjo connection bottom right. Oil pipes do similar things too.
    Martin
    QUOTE QUOTE #4

5. Egon's Avatar Moderator
    Name
    egon
    There are some small plastic air pressure tubes for control of machines, I have some from cars, but they are 3 mm.
    Inside a ligther is a small tube, use a solid plastic rod perhaps, rubber Orings, lots of other things could be used just look around and you shall find.
    QUOTE QUOTE #5

6. Mr.Tin's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    Martin
    Has to be thin wall, flexible, to go over the spigots that stick out from the cast banjos. 1.5mm ID, say 2mm OD max.
    I just thought with all the large scale car fans there would be an aftermarket supplier you all used for hoses, cable etc. Hollow ones that is.

Martin
    QUOTE QUOTE #6

7. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Drip irrigation lines, as used in green-houses, is black, flexible, but probably too thick.

Black ABS or styrene Oil pipe tube, etc. rod could have the ends hollowed out easily enough, and be heated lightly to preform into what-ever shape.

Same with solder, and then paint black?
    QUOTE QUOTE #7

8. Mr.Tin's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    Martin
    I really can't see anyone hollowing out solid rod or solder! Not kit buyers anyway. They're going to expect to just slide it on and cut to length and have it follow a typical gentle curve like the real stuff.
    There used to be a toy that was all the fashion when I was a kid and again a few years ago called Scooby Doo. It was basically lengths of coloured fine tube which you wove into patterns and made key fobs, etc.. I can't find it anywhere now, but that would have been perfect if painted black.
    I find it astonishing that nobody makes something along these lines any more.

Martin
    QUOTE QUOTE #8

9. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Hello Martin, Do you need full length tube? -it really is easy to hollow out the ends of many materials. Most plastics and certainly solder can have its end trimmed square and by hand work a chosen drill bit, worked back and forth, between thumb and pointer to hollow out enough to fit your parts.

Several modelers here simply use brass wire and insert rather than capture.

If your interested in the finest tube, McMaster Carr, sell one foot, and three foot lengths of Stainless Steel "Hypodermic" tubing.
    Last edited by MODEL A MODEL; 11-16-18 at 06:47 PM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #9

10. Egon's Avatar Moderator
    Name
    egon
    Use heat shrinkable tubing on an olie metalrod, then remove the tubing after.
    QUOTE QUOTE #10

11. Mr.Tin's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    Martin
    Thanks for that, but it's flexible that we need. I just ordered some clear tube intended as fuel tubing on models, but it may be too small in bore. I really don't see someone who's paid hundreds of pounds for a kit sitting drilling the ends of plastic rod or solder to try and slide it over a spigot. I can see the drill going out the side and the spigot breaking off and we'd have to run a mould for just the oil/fuel banjos in it. Somebody MUST do hollow tube with a thin wall that's flexible even if it's not black. I checked Detail Master Oil pipe tube, etc. but they don't even say if their stuff is hollow or solid. The one I've found on a Pocher site is 2mm OD and 1mm ID which is probably too small, but worth a try. It would look so much better if it correctly went over the spigot, not IN it.

Cheers,
    Martin
    QUOTE QUOTE #11

12. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    if your not particular about the color, most of the "Super Glue" companies offer very thin tubing for getting their glue into tight spaces, its 0.89mm OD, and very small ID.

But it poly-something and is a translucent "white" in color.
    QUOTE QUOTE #12

13. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    An issue with most tubing, or wire is the natural flex that most exhibit. Brass and copper, and aluminum can be annealed or bought sometimes, "dead Soft" This allows you to form your loom with out battling the materials tendency to not take the curves that you want.

Again solder will hold most shapes without an argument.

Another thought is O-Ring material? It can be had in several diameters, and at different lengths. It glues very well with the "Super Glues" Its black and very flexible.

A hot Oil pipe tube, etc. pin could hollow the ends, or trim to flush and glue its end to what-ever?
    Last edited by MODEL A MODEL; 11-16-18 at 07:32 PM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #13

14. Mr.Tin's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    Martin
    Ah, now that's a good idea! And a very worthwhile one. I like the hot Oil pipe tube, etc. pin idea too. I'll look into what sizes they do.
    The superglue applicators are something I thought of but are way too small. I need to get something on a 1.5mm diameter spigot.

Thanks, gents.

Martin
    QUOTE QUOTE #14

15. QUOTE QUOTE #15