Close

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Mr.Tin's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    Martin
    Hi all, I have been thinking about moving from working model boats, which I don't really do much, to static models of my favourite classic speedboats. Now whilst I can make an engine well enough and have done before, I would rather be doing the boats and then buy in and detail the engine.
    For some boats it would be a Big block, some small block, easy enough, but are there flathead Fords or Flathead mercs available? Is there a 1/24th scale Packard V 12 or a Curtis v 12. RR merlin or Griffon? I'm told that Chris Craft engines (mainly flathead 6s and 4s) are truck engines with marinising parts. Can they be bought from truck kits?

All suggestions gratefully received.

Cheers,
    Martin
    A man needs a plan...and a shed
    QUOTE QUOTE #1

2. Richard Bartrop's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Richard
    For car engines, there are the Revell Supplies of 1/24th scale engines from model cars for model boats... and AMT Supplies of 1/24th scale engines from model cars for model boats... Parts Packs, one of which included an Allison V-12, and was recently re-issued. Replicas & Miniatures also does some nicely detailed engines and vintage performance parts to go with them.

If you don't mind buying a whole car kit, Revell Supplies of 1/24th scale engines from model cars for model boats... makes the nicest engines, and their recent '40 and '48 Ford kits have some of the nicest flatheads, as does Lindberg's '53 Ford.

The Monogram Packards have straight eights, but the only Packard v-12s I know of are either 1/16, or 1/35
    Last edited by Richard Bartrop; 10-29-18 at 06:50 PM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #2

3. Mr.Tin's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    Martin
    Richard, that's a very helpful reply. I'll chase those up. Many thanks.
    An Alison would be most helpful.

Martin
    QUOTE QUOTE #3

4. Richard Bartrop's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Richard
    No problem. I know Airfix made a 1/24 Spitfire, but I don't know if you want to get a whole plane just for the engine.
    QUOTE QUOTE #4

5. Mr.Tin's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    Martin
    That's what I was thinking! But I might be able to borrow a Merlin from somebody and cast a resin Supplies of 1/24th scale engines from model cars for model boats... copy.

Thanks again,
    Martin
    QUOTE QUOTE #5

6. Nortley's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Buck
    Flatheads? Our '59 Chris Craft Cavalier (the cardboard Chris) had a 283 with a flame suppressor instead of an air cleaner, and wet exhausts that spit water all over anything aft of us on start up. Dad fixed that with a pair of Stromberg air scoops on the outlets pointing down. If you want a classic, Testors has/had a 30's Cadillac with a V12.
    Scorpio - Builds models the way the prototype should have been built.
    QUOTE QUOTE #6

7. Richard Bartrop's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Richard
    The Testors kit is a V-16. It's a reboxing of the Italeri 1933 Cadillac V-16, and as for as the engine goes, both Monogram and Jo-han had Cadillac V-16s that were much better.
    QUOTE QUOTE #7

8. Mr.Tin's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    Martin
    The problem is knowing if the Chris Craft engines were based on road vehicle engines. Although I have a lot of books on the subject, I don't recall seeing anything about what, if any, the CC engines were based on. I have no problem making these engines, just problems getting any drawings, hence my original question.
    The Alison would be very useful and the Flathead V8s. For the more modern rebuilds, any of the "ordinary" V8s are useful, especially Chrysler hemi and Chevy big blocks. The famous Riva is just a Big Block with marine additions.
    The only marine V 16 I know of was the Miller in Miss Detroit.

Nortley, when you say a 283, was that a car based engine?

Martin
    QUOTE QUOTE #8

9. Egon's Avatar Moderator
    Name
    egon
    Look at this video: https://www.chriscraft.com/our-story/heritage/
    But they say nothing about engines. You can google vintage engines

Last edited by Egon; 10-30-18 at 04:12 PM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #9

10. Richard Bartrop's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Richard
    Google comes to the rescue. 1/24 resin Supplies of 1/24th scale engines from model cars for model boats... Merlin engine http://www.firerods.nl/product/124-r...-resin-engine/
    QUOTE QUOTE #10

11. Mr.Tin's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    Martin
    Thanks, gents. I have a chum in California who says I can get stuff sent to him and then he'll pack it and send to me in UK for a lot less than "they" want in the adverts. We've worked that flanker before!
    Now I have to find some suitable kits and resin Supplies of 1/24th scale engines from model cars for model boats... companies. Richard, many thanks for that link. I also found a Ford Flathead V8 for very little money (dollars).

Cheers,
    Martin
    QUOTE QUOTE #11

12. Mr.Tin's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    Martin
    Just ordered the Merlin kit. Many thanks for finding that. Now to get the Ford Flathead sent to my chum.
    Cheers,

Martin
    QUOTE QUOTE #12

13. Nortley's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Buck
    The Chris Craft engine was a Chevy small block, the seller in 1961 called it a "marine converted Corvette engine". It was original to the boat, and looked just like a car engine, in blue, with a square bronze screen instead of an air cleaner, and humongous looking exhaust manifolds that mixed the once-through cooling water into the exhaust stream. Apparently the setup held some quantity of water after shut down, hence the need for those Stromberg scoops. Dad always ran it dry after trailering. We liked to ski, so had a prop that might give us 50 mph on a good day, but it would pop five skiers up like so many corks.
    Scorpio - Builds models the way the prototype should have been built.
    QUOTE QUOTE #13

14. Mr.Tin's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    Martin
    Thanks, Notley. Knowing it was a Corvette engine helps as there are so many, I can never tell one from tother.

What about the straight 6s and 4s? Were they based on some old auto flathead design? Or the Chrysler Crown 6?

Cheers,
    Martin
    QUOTE QUOTE #14

15. Richard Bartrop's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Richard
    Corvettes used Chevrolet engines, so that should broaden your options. AMT Supplies of 1/24th scale engines from model cars for model boats... 's 1941 Plymouth kit has a flathead 6. As for 4s, Revell Supplies of 1/24th scale engines from model cars for model boats... 's 1929 Model A pickup and 1931 Model A coupe have what's probably the most detailed Model A engine you're likely to find, and even come with some period correct performance parts. Replicas & Miniatures sells a set of Thickstun head covers for flathead V-8s. They're a popular dress up item among the vintage hot Supplies of 1/24th scale engines from model cars for model boats... rod crowd, but it's my understanding that their original purpose was to keep water out of the ignition in marine engines.
    QUOTE QUOTE #15