Close

1. TRMC's Avatar Member
    Name
    Chris
    Hello,

This is my first post, but I have probably dealt with some of you in the past through other means, I am the owner of "The Rare Model Shop"

Anywho, I have just come into possession of a 1/5 Scale Ferrari 250 GTO, which is the original RAE (startline) Prototype.

The plan is to change the prototype into a full 1/5 Replica, MY current problem is sourcing CAD drawings to have an interior, engine and underbody machined or 3D printed.

If I fail in sourcing CAD drawings I will have to buy the 1/6 GMP engine, have it scanned and enlarged to 1/5, same with the interior working off a 1/18 Model.

So my two questions are :
    Does anyone have full 250GTO CAD drawings for sale or by agreement?
    Apart from the engineless Amalgam, would the CMC 250GTO 1/18 contain the most detail, or can you recommend another?

Picture below of it next to my 1/8 Javan Smith w196.

QUOTE QUOTE #1

2. Egon's Avatar Moderator
    Name
    egon
    That's a real wopper you got there, nice one, have you asked Ferrari ? searched blueprints, this size need some details in and out, lights ect. good search.
    These guys must have some: http://www.ferrarispares.co.uk/250gto.build.html
    Drawing of inside: https://www.motorsport.com/vintage/n...808547/808547/
    Last edited by Egon; 08-18-18 at 11:15 AM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #2

3. TRMC's Avatar Member
    Name
    Chris
    Hello,

Thank you for the reply, Unfortunately, Ferrarispares don't have any drawings, they used a 1/12 to replicate most of their work.
    They must be out their somewhere, it's just a case of finding them!

The 1/5 will have to be replicated anyway as I plan on keeping the actual prototype a prototype, and then possible produce a few 1/5s as a limited run to match some of the iconic GTOs available (the 112) etc etc
    QUOTE QUOTE #3

4. ScaleMotorcars's Avatar Administrator
    Name
    Daniel
    Sorry for the late reply. I recently started back up on my Mechanical Engineering degree so time is short. Both should be scaleable.

Check this link.
    https://cults3d.com/en/3d-model/various/ferrari-250-gto
    and this one.
    https://www.yobi3d.com/q/250GTO
    and this one.
    https://www.stlfinder.com/?search=fe...20250%20gto%20
    QUOTE QUOTE #4

5. ScaleMotorcars's Avatar Administrator
    Name
    Daniel
    This one looks complete but its expensive at $350 for just the files. Still, it would save a ton of work modeling it.

https://www.cgtrader.com/3d-models/c...767gt-complete
    QUOTE QUOTE #5

6. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    These are useful links! Thanks!!
    -craftsmanship is a lifelong project of
    self-construction and self determination
    QUOTE QUOTE #6

7. ScaleMotorcars's Avatar Administrator
    Name
    Daniel
    Between those sites, you should be able to find just about anything available to 3D print.
    QUOTE QUOTE #7

8. TRMC's Avatar Member
    Name
    Chris
    Brilliant thank you, I spent a bomb getting a 250GTO model scanned to get the data!

The only issues I found with these sites (as I am looking for a few different model as well) Is that most of them are made as 3ds max models only so in 3DS Max format, and even though they say "contact for STL", I've had one of the people reply saying it isn't available in a 3D printable format but only as it was made in 3DS Max for visulisation purposes.

I am a million miles away from being an expert on this area, how hard is it to change from 3Ds to STL, and what sort of costs are involved in changing it so it is 3D printable before I start spending money on something that's not worth the time .

For example one reply I had is :

"Hello, The model by itself is not available in a 3D printer compatible format. It has XXX objects but whoever is gonna print it can merge them into less. To tell you the truth, it was meant for visualising, you need to find someone someone that can make a 3d print Solidworks (or whatever software using) compatible model out of a 3ds Max model. Unfortunately, I cannot help you with that. Yes, it is scalable."

I have edited the message a little to remove personal data.
    QUOTE QUOTE #8

9. ScaleMotorcars's Avatar Administrator
    Name
    Daniel
    That makes it a little rough but it is possible. So basically someone would need to add a thickness to every part that was not built with one. Most 3d printers can only print parts that are at least 0.25mm.

Converting the 3Ds to STL is no problem but like I said everything would need to be adjusted for 3d printing.

If you google the process it's not hard just time-consuming. You could get the model and download 3DS Max free trial. Import each part and Shell it so it has a thickness then save it as STL.

Ill be getting my 3D printer in about a month. When I do Ill try and do a tutorial on how its done and post to the Digital Workbench forum.
    QUOTE QUOTE #9

10. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    That's a great idea!

I'd be very interested in a tutorial!
    -craftsmanship is a lifelong project of
    self-construction and self determination
    QUOTE QUOTE #10