Close

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
  1. ScaleMotorcars's Avatar Administrator
    Name
    Daniel
    Ok guys. Im all for free speech and I keep the forum open to just about anything you guys want to chat about but I have gotten some complaints about this thread. So... Please play nice...

2. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    And SA pays their contributors quickly too.
    Build what you want and build it for yourself, the rest will follow... - Mark D. Jones

3. Bugatti Fan's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    Noel
    The moderator has asked for this subject to be toned down a bit due to receiving some complaints. Request noted as there was no intention to actually offend any thread readers.

4. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    Just sharing firsthand experiences and trying to inform.
    If someone has a different point of view I don't see why they wouldn't share it in the interest of clearing the air.
    Build what you want and build it for yourself, the rest will follow... - Mark D. Jones

5. Bugatti Fan's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    Noel
    Agree with what you say Scalemaster. I guess that the complainants may prefer to remain anonymous, but the moderator (who I have to say has been very reasonab!e regarding free speech) has a duty to act on them.

6. Bugatti Fan's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    Noel
    Not heard anything of late, so I guess that Model Cars Magazine may not yet have got on track. Maybe time to sell the title on to an established publisher.
    Cannot see it surviving if it goes on like it has since 2016 and subscribers carry on losing confidence as well as retail outlets.

7. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    It's been more than four and a half months since Gregg offered the lifetime subscriptions and they have been sold out for about two and a half or three months.
    Nothing has happened, no real updates except for the same excuses. I think he pulled one more scam knowing the magazine was going under. At best a contest issue from 2017 is about the only thing that might get published.

I wonder if he has tarnished the brand so badly no other publisher would want to touch it?

8. Bugatti Fan's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    Noel
    Jo NZ, the forum being referred to is Model Cars Magazine's own forum.
    The forum itself is lively, but suffers I feel from over zealous moderators having locked 3 threads recently querying about the magazine's output.
    Any reasonable questions asked about the magazine and when or if will it get back on track are locked down before any meaningful discussion can take place.
    One moderator intimated that some of the questions were being asked by (in his words) 'magazine haters'. Well, if magazine haters are guys who have paid annual or more recently life subscriptions up front and the deliveries going so far out that they are questioning it, their queries locked and being termed a magazine hater is well out of order.
    I think it has been forgotten that the title of the forum is actually Model Cars MAGAZINE Forum so questions about the magazine's progress (or lack of) should be aired as long as the questions are not rude or aggressive.
    Anyway, who knows whether the magazine will survive or not? A massive cash injection does not appear to be the answer, so maybe the only route is a complete sell out to an established publisher.
    Last edited by Bugatti Fan; 11-01-19 at 01:45 PM.

9. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Well? I just received my latest issue!

#206 with my expiration issue being 223!

I expect to be reading MODEL CARS in my golden years!

10. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    A rehash of older contests, all of which have been covered by other magazines? No mention of the best of show model from the last GSL is consider "full coverage"? Color me unimpressed.
    And that issue according to Gregg ate up the majority of the money brought in by his lifetime subscription Ponzi scheme.
    While I too still have a subscription, I do not expect to see another issue delivered to me and am doubtful to anyone else.

This was sent to me last night by a friend. It was posted in the drag racing section of the MCM forum and was quickly scrubbed/deleted.

JustMark has posted a topic, The Truth

Posted in Drag Racing Models
    Former member that rejoined to tell people the truth about the "future" of MCM.

I'm amazed at how blindly people here defend Gregg in his attempts to fleece them, especially with this "lifetime" subscriptions garbage. I don't know if people here are being willingly obtuse, or are actually that naive.

Well, though this likely won't stay up long, it's past time you all learned the truth about MCM & the type of operator Gregg Hutchings is.

Here's the first cold, hard fact: Unless Gregg manages to hire another qualified layout artist &/or sell MCM to another publisher like he did with Golden Bell, the chances of ever seeing another issue of the mag are about the same as those of a snowball surviving on the surface of the sun. And it's not just lack of funds or his health issues. Gregg has said himself that he's not competent enough to design & work up the layouts or to get things going to print up another issue. Those last two issues he eked out after Harry died? They were completely laid out, prepped & made ready for print by Harry.

Speaking of Harry, you know all the "tears" Gregg has shed since he passed. They're phony, every single one of them. When Golden Bell owned & published the magazine, they sent Gregg the money to distribute to the contributors, Harry, etc. The last year that GB owned it, from March through October, while Harry was battling terminal Stage Four cancer, Gregg kept the money owed Harry. Harry finally had to go around Gregg to Larry Bell, owner of Golden Bell to get paid what he was owed. Gregg has done nothing but cry crocodile tears over Harry's passing, as he was literally stealing from a dying man.

That's not the only example I have of Gregg not paying people. I've talked with another former contributor who's still waiting for payment for his work that was published in the magazine in November 2015. I know another former long time contributor who stopped writing for the magazine after Gregg tried to get him to write for free, "for the good of the hobby". That person is now a regular contributor to Scale Auto. And, this isn't a new occurrence because of Gregg's current financial situation, as another long time contributor to Scale Auto approached Gregg almost twenty years ago to see about submitting some articles, only to have Gregg ask for them to be gratis, "for the good of the hobby". Needless to say, this person never wrote a single thing for MCM, but has written for SA for years now. And for the record, both of the latter two people have articles in the latest issue of SA. And Gregg's "for the good of the hobby" line really means for the good of Gregg, as he tries to scam yet another person. Another former contributor I know has yet to be paid for his last few articles.

And, contributors are not the only ones Gregg tries to stiff. Here's a tidbit from MCM's Facebook page, when Gregg was trying to sell MCM T shirts last year, Gregg's comment first:

"I am amazed at how fast the new t-shirts are selling. Pretty soon I'll have to make another batch of them, hopefully even more sizes! Thanks guys, this has been a great boost for me. Not only for the sales, but for the support! Mahalo nui loa!"

And a reply from a hobby shop owner:

"Wish we could get a response from you regarding the fact that we received a bill for the latest magazine issue back in February but have yet to receive our shipment of magazines at our hobby shop. After reaching out to you for a fourth time, I hold out little hope of ever hearing from you. But I suppose t-shirt sales are more important than the hobby shops and customers that have been supporting your endeavor for years."

How many other hobby shop owners has he done this to? If i were this person, I'd be contacting a lawyer myself. If you're so inclined, you can go to MCM's FB page & read that yourself.

Now he's trying to get the mag going again with these "lifetime" subscriptions" More facts for you; since he seems to be relying on the money from that, as he has no mention of any plans to increase ad revenues, or improve point of purchase sales at hobby shops & the like, this scheme is just as ludicrous as anything else he dreams up. He wants to sell 200 "lifetime subscriptions" at $150 each. That would raise $30,000. Gregg's on record as saying it costs around $10,000 to publish, print & distribute one issue. This means that would bring in enough funds to published three issues. If enough other revenue isn't raised from other sources besides those "lifetime" subscriptions to continue, those three issues would cost each subscriber $50 an issue. That's some pretty expensive magazines. I know, I know, we all spend that much & more on kits, supplies, etc. The difference is, once we do, we have something tangible to show for it. Here, you're throwing money down a hole in the hopes of getting something in return.

Now, Gregg is also on record as saying this on this very forum:

"What a lot don't understand, or can't grasp, is the fact the with the direct dealer sales, MCM can pay for itself, each issue, if I can get the dealers to pay on time.

No other magazine that I know of can say this.

They all go through distributors, who now charge 60% of the cover, plus poundage fees.

I do all the invoicing, billing, accounting, etc., MYSELF.

There is no middle man, or anything that gets in the way of that cash flow.

Does this not make sense?

No, it doesn't make a lick of sense. Because if you combine the direct dealer sales with the money brought in by subscriptions, putting out issues should not be a problem, should it? Oops, there's that little deal of a hobby shop receiving a bill last year, never getting any magazines & not being able to get in contact with Gregg to straighten it out.

Wait. This stunningly doesn't address the fact Gregg has admitted that he's incapable of putting out a magazine for all the money in the world right now. So either it's a money problem or an output problem. Actually it's a Gregg problem, and money, hired-in help, and anything else you can think of can't save MCM from him. Go ahead & flush that money on a "lifetime" subscription. I have some Enron stock to sell you if you have any cash left over.

Going back to Gregg wanting articles for gratis. I'm sure some of you are sitting there saying to yourselves "Why I'd gladly write for Gregg for free to get the mag going again!" Have you ever written anything for publication before? Harry told me horror stories of how much proofreading, editing & correcting he had to do to unsolicited articles to get them suitable for publication. I seriously doubt Gregg is capable of doing that. Nine times out of ten, when you ask for something for free, you get exactly what that entails.

I know, you don't believe me. Well, Harry & I conversed via email both before & after I left MCM, & one thing he told me is that all Gregg was responsible for in getting each issue out was his little editorial & the "What's New" section. And yet the mag was habitually late due to Harry waiting for Gregg to contribute those two things, (along with waiting for another contributor, who usually just recycled his old work for SA on MCM), often months late. Often times, after waiting months for the editorial, Harry would just write one himself, under Gregg's name, so they could get the mag out. Now, if Gregg couldn't be relied on to contribute those two things, what on earth makes any of you think he's competent enough to actually put the mag together, get it printed & get it distributed. When he had Harry, (& before that Jairus Watson), doing the layouts & putting everything together for him, he could produce a magazine. He's neither competent nor qualified enough to do it on his own.

Stop & consider this; the fact that Gregg is trying to raise money to publish the magazine is not only a ponzi scheme, in that he's trying to get money from new "investors", (subscribers), to appease his old "investors", but if he gets the cash & uses it to try to publish the mag & fails, how do you think he's going to be able to refund your money?

Gregg first hooked up with Golden Bell Press to print & distribute the mag, then wound up selling everything to Larry Bell, & was just the titular editor. When GBP shut down, Gregg was given the mag back gratis, & then he whines that GBP didn't send him the subscription monies they got when they owned MCM. People, that's not how this works, that not how any of this works. Money collected under Golden Bell's ownership belongs to Golden Bell, not Gregg. But Gregg is only focused on getting money.

I'm not surprised the mag is dead. I'm more surprised that the forum is still alive. Heck, even before Dave Ambrose tried the failed software update he said this:

"It will let us work on the solution as the current software is so out of date that the vendor doesn't want to try diagnosing any problems with it. "

Now, unless there's not enough money to properly upgrade & update everything, why are they using obsolete software? This is just another example of the folly of trying to get the mag going again.

People, the bottom line is that trying to revive MCM is the equivalent of trying to resuscitate a six month old corpse with mouth to mouth. It's simply not going to happen.

I know, many of you won't believe this, will be angry with me, call me a troll, etc. Everything I've put up here is cold, hard truth, from the sources that Gregg has taken advantage of, (or tried to), over decades. I have no agenda, no axe to grind, no grudge. I'm just tired of seeing the constant attempts to take advantage of people that happens here.

11. s.e.charles's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    s.e.
    I chuckled at this reply on the mc forum: peteski
    MCM Ohana

Members

2,703 posts
    Full Name:Peter W.

Posted Tuesday at 12:58 AM (edited)
    My club used to regularly sent the photos from our annual model contest to Model Cars for years, even after the magazine went into what seemed like hibernation, but we finally gave up, and stopped sending our photos in few years back. Scale Auto Contest Cars Annual is always more than happy to publish our photos (although last few years we had a problem with them giving proper credit to the photographer - me). But the photos were published.
    Hey Gregg, if you look through your archives, you might find lots of old unpublished model contest photos - you might consider publishing a "Retro Contest issue" with never before seen photos of some cool models.
    Edited Tuesday at 01:00 AM by peteski

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/t...mailed/page/2/

12. jbwelda's Avatar Member
    Name
    jbwelda
    Wow "scalemaster", you seem kind of bitter.

Just thought I would point that out, its becoming more and more evident as you and your "friends" attempt to pile it on.

So, whom could have built the "Best of Show" for GSL that you so obliquely reference? Well its right there on page 61: Best of Show: Mark D Jones, left hand drive gulf super-seven.

Anyone you might know? Seems kind of self-referential, doesn't it? Kind of self promoting? I mean the way you just slipped that coy reference in there? Yes Scalemaster, you won the Best of Show and that was indeed something to be proud of. But what you are doing right here is called snatching defeat from the jaws of victory, at least in my eyes.

There is also one photo of it on the "On the Table" (or whatever it was called) section. Actually a pretty nice photograph, especially relative to the over saturated black ink on most of the pics in this section of the magazine.

So its not like it was ignored, but if you recall, the photographer packed up and left by Saturday night, and judging results weren't revealed until the next morning. You have probably noticed that is par for the course for most contests: photos of the winners are often not taken during the show and everyone has dispersed by the time awards are actually announced.

I don't think there was some conspiracy to not feature that car, spectacular as it may be, in the magazine that you are not impressed with anyhow.

You mentioned: "This was sent to me last night by a friend. It was posted in the drag racing section of the MCM forum and was quickly scrubbed/deleted."

That was sent to you by a "friend", named JustMark? Isn't that a fairly transparent pseudonym for someone else?

And why would it be posted under the Drag Racing subforum? It doesn't seem to have anything to do with drag racing. Seems it must have been posted there, by your "friend", for the sole purpose of evading the moderators for some short amount of time, and that amount of time was shorter than expected? But somehow your "friend" managed to capture it during that short time and send it to you?

Your biases are showing big time, you and the Bugatti fan. But I love following the drama spread over numerous web site forums by the pair of you. Seems very Trump-ian to copy that post by another(?) disgruntled presumably one-time writer here...its the same old same old referencing the same two people by and large, and whom could those two people be? Oh, my. If you don't want to have anything to do with MCM and its owner then maybe you shouldn't have anything to do with them, and stop cyber stalking them with these innuendo filled posts.

You build spectacular models, you should stick to that and leave the self-referencing, self-aggrandizing, self-promoting, self-martyring and most of all the transparently ghost written posts to those with less talent.

I just hope you realize these sort of public campaigns do nothing but reduce your stature in the eyes of many people, here and in all forums you post this sort of libel in. (Alleging a "ponzi scheme" is a serious charge and not to be taken lightly.)

For the record I am not a huge fan of the subject of such vindictiveness but I do admit he continues to try his best to fulfill his commitments. I give him credit for a vision and at least attempting to make the vision come true. And I support those attempts with some cold hard cash when it seems necessary. Go ahead and laugh then, but to some of us a few bucks here and there is not the end of the world and certainly no reason to go on vendettas spread over many years and many forums.

When I was in Jamaica I picked up a folk saying: "We come fe drink milk; we nah come fe count cow." You and your friends JustMark and the Bugatti Fan should think about that.

I am sorry I haven't contributed much to this site, I have not been building large scale models for a while, but just thought I had to interject some alternate reality into this conversation. I hope it is not taken the wrong way, I mean it as constructive observations from the peanut gallery.

thanks
    jb
    Last edited by jbwelda; 11-23-19 at 01:39 AM.

13. s.e.charles's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    s.e.
    uncle fester!
    Last edited by s.e.charles; 11-22-19 at 08:00 AM.

14. Bugatti Fan's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    Noel
    JBWelda made made some comments about Scalemaster and myself on his post and referred to an old Jamaican saying, about 'drinking the milk rather than looking at the cow'. Well my only response to this is that in my particular case MCM drank the milk ( my Peterbilt Duel Rig article that they commissioned and published way back in November 2015 ). And left me looking at the cow ever since (that is despite several chases I have still not been paid the 400 bucks they still owe me for it after 4 years now). So maybe this will get things into more perspective from my viewpont.

15. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    It's more than a little disconcerting that the moderators allow libelous and outright false statements from jb welda about me to be posted, but my rebuttal to try clear up his misunderstanding of the reality was not allowed to be shown?
    Why was he allowed to post his opinion based on incorrect assumptions, but I am not allowed to respond?

Again to be clear, I do not know who "Just Mark" is and it is NOT me.

Since this post was allowed and since jb has been editing his post in an attempt to try to talk down to me, or "pile on" as he says, it's only fair that I'll try to offer my original response the same way.

Well JB,
    You seem quick to assume (incorrectly) an awful lot there. First off as I mentioned in that post, I did not write that MCM post that I shared, it was sent to me by a friend. Maybe you need to reread it without so much bias yourself? I am not "Just Mark" and I do not know or even have a clue who he is.

Since I did not receive a copy I asked a few friends who had access to the magazine and they told me it was odd that the GSL BOS winning car was absent from the coverage. I don't know why they would say that if what you are saying is true, but I trusted them and that is what I based my comment on.
    If I'm so self serving why do you think it is that I did not claim ownership of said model when asking the question?
    It was an observation of the coverage of the magazine (again as it was told to me) not an attempt to "self promote" as you incorrectly state. Pardon me, but I read a lot of bitterness in your diatribe.

I'm not sure how "Trumpian" applies in this case or why you would use it here; injecting politics into this discussion seems like an unwise attempt to besmirch those you disagree with. Since I looked up the meaning of the word, should I take it as you think I am the President of Car Modeling? Thank you! But I chose not to run a long time ago...

I am not cyber stalking anyone and you are way out of line for accusing me of doing so. Apparently, (by your words) you have confused me with someone else (maybe the person who wrote the post on MCM?) and some of your post makes zero sense in the context of this discussion, but it does read as bitter drivel that I won't waste any more of my time trying to decipher.

One last point; there is no innuendo in my posts. I think I made my points clearly. In that vein some of what you wrote comes off rather hypocritical while you are accusing others of what you are doing. You come here only to blast others you disagree with and then hide behind the false claim of "constructive observations". Maybe you should take some of your own advice as it fits what you are doing far more than than what you are falsely accusing me of. You can be an MCM/Gregg supporter all you want, but there are many of us who were burned and had content essentially stolen from them by Gregg and we are equally entitled to our point of view as anyone else. We don't call those supporters out and try to shame them as you are attempting to do here. We have stated facts and not went off on opinionated personal attacks. Don't like the message? It's not the messenger's fault.

You can respond to this, (as I'm sure you're inclined to), but I will not respond to you any further. Your attitude and flaming/trolling in your post makes it clear that you have an issue with me (or someone who you think is me), and as long as you are of the mindset that Gregg is "just a guy trying to put out a magazine" and are willing to dismiss the cheating of contributors by him, we will be at odds and you'll just have to live with it. Have a nice day.

BTW, A Ponzi scheme is a form of fraud that lures investors and pays profits to earlier investors with funds from more recent investors. The scheme leads victims to believe that profits are coming from product sales or other means, and they remain unaware that other investors are the source of funds. And that is exactly what the lifetime subscription did.
    Last edited by ScaleMaster; 11-23-19 at 10:58 AM.