Close

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
  1. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    Keep in mind Gregg used to be my friend many years ago. My wife and I even put him up overnight when he was in town. But he turned on me several years ago. I still don't know why for sure, and as nasty as he was I was surprised when I confronted him about it four years ago and he claimed to not remember or even know what I was talking about.

The first words out of his mouth last weekend when he saw me in the hallway were disrespectful and rude. So I chose not to have a conversation with him.
    Plus I didn't need to ask him anything because I know from past experience his responses would be lies, deflections and/or useless platitudes.

Many of the others at the show either don't know or chose to ignore his dishonest ways. (This I know from conversations with many of them.) I suspect the ones who were cordial to him just want a chance at having the "fame" of getting a picture with their name in a magazine, oblivious to the fact it will never happen in that one.

He blew smoke up their, well, you know. The two main responses were ignoring him or schmoozing.
    Build what you want and build it for yourself, the rest will follow... - Mark D. Jones
    QUOTE QUOTE #31

2. Bugatti Fan's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    Noel
    Liked Mr Charles' post and tongue in cheek remark about car modellers possibly 'Genuflecting as they passed by Gregg' at the GSL
    Has he become the Patron Saint of Car Modellers all of a sudden or something? Most saints are history and Gregg will be no different when the magazine goes under.
    Scale Master's latest post just about says it all.
    Lifetime subscriptions to what appears to be an obviously failing magazine? Someone is having a laugh!
    Same old record! Same old platitudes! Same old excuses! Same old etc. etc.etc.
    For someone pleading hard times a return air fare from Hawaii and hotel bill must have come from somewhere?????
    Last edited by Bugatti Fan; 05-17-19 at 10:47 AM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #32

3. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    Don't you know? Gregg is a Legend! (In his own mind.) Just ask him.
    He may be well known in some circles, but the reality is what he's known for is not what he thinks or dreams it is.
    Build what you want and build it for yourself, the rest will follow... - Mark D. Jones
    QUOTE QUOTE #33

4. Bugatti Fan's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    Noel
    When I chased up Gregg for my authors fee some time after my commissioned Due! Rig article went to press I thought that he was a genuine guy struggling a bit after going it alone. I offered that he pay me in kind with some out of the box review stuff, kits, resins, photo etched, decals etc to the value of the 400 dollars owed to me. All I got was a refusal of that option, and to date remain still unpaid since November 2015 thus showing his true colours.
    I guess that there are many other authors who have been stiffed like me who will no longer write for that magazine. The standard will drop and so will the readers. Subscribers have had a raw deal despite all of the lame excuses, platitudes lack of professionalism as a commercial magazine and empty promises.
    The Writing Is On The Wall. !!
    QUOTE QUOTE #34

5. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    So for his Ponzi scheme to work he said he needs a set amount of people to buy the lifetime subscriptions.
    What if not enough people buy into it? Will they get their money back?

Even if he gets the full amount of people to buy in, watch and see how he changes the rules since the math doesn't work according what he has claimed his costs are.
    I wouldn't be surprised if he makes it an online only deal, no hard copies to print, more cash in his pocket, but not what he sold.
    QUOTE QUOTE #35

6. Bugatti Fan's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    Noel
    Bob Turner did the Maths a couple of years ago on the MCM Forum. Naturally the thread it was in was quickly removed even though hard mathematical facts were presented!
    Surprise, Surprise !!!! Looks like someone is in denial.
    QUOTE QUOTE #36

7. s.e.charles's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    s.e.
    a substantial amount of the population is clinging to the premise our entire hobby will vanish if the forum ceases to exist.
    QUOTE QUOTE #37

8. Jo NZ's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Jo
    What forum?
    QUOTE QUOTE #38

9. s.e.charles's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    s.e.
    just got home for lunch and found this in my email inbox:

Model Cars Magazine, Lifetime Subscriptions
    Many of you have wondered what’s going on, not only with the magazine, but myself as well. Well, it’s good news, and bad news. First the bad news. This past February I had my eighth back surgery, when a spinal stimulator was implanted, and so far, it’s been a failure. During the test/trial period in January I went through had really good results, but so far, the permanent implanted one has not given me the same results. Hopefully, it’s a matter of some fine tuning, or reprogramming, but for now, it’s still laying down most of the time, I’m on way too many pain pills, and now I’m just trying to deal with it.

Now for the good news. With this surgery behind me, and no real hope in the near future for any long-lasting relief, I’m going to be going full steam ahead as if it’s not going to stop me. I’m putting all my efforts into getting the magazine back on track, back on the newsstands, and back in your hands. However, I need your help. I’d like to offer a limited amount of Lifetime Subscriptions to our loyal readers to get the next three to four issues printed and mailed out. This will only be for 200 subscribers, for a limited time. There will be some neat swag to offer, Lifetime Member Model Cars Magazine patches, dash plaques, and t-shirts, and the big news will be unlimited access to all the current digital back issues that we have.

So, what’s a Lifetime Subscription going to cost? Right now, after crunching the numbers, we are looking at the Lifetime Subscriptions to run $150. This will raise the capital we need to really get going, and to hire some help so that we can work on the rest of the digital back issues. Currently, we have easy access to all digital files only back to 2012, but we have all digital files down to 2003, but they have to be converted in a time-consuming process. Long story short is I first did the layouts for the magazine using the computer program called Quark, but I lost the original CDs/DVDs for the first three years. The 2003 and later files need to be converted from Quark to InDesign using proprietary plugins that have been purchased.

Some have asked about the viability of doing a lifetime subscription offer, and that that would hurt or affect subsequent renewals. With a “regular” magazine, that may be the case, but one thing about Model Cars that makes us special is that with our direct dealer sales, those sales almost pay for the full printing and mailing of our regular issues. Granted, once our numbers go up, and they will, we will be better equipped to deal with the increased circulation, and go after even more newsstand and dealer sales.

I hope this all makes sense. I’m not trying to pull anything over on anyone. I want to make this magazine work, and if the past twenty years have shown you guys one thing, it’s that I don’t give up. Twenty years, wow, that’s a long time. This October 2019 will be our 20-Year Anniversary, and that will be huge and special issue.

I'm finishing up the Contest Issue (#206), and it's taking a whole lot longer than I thought it would. Man oh man, I really miss Harry P. He did so much work on these layouts, designs, and putting all the contest issues together, I honestly forgot how much work goes into not only the issue, but each individual show coverage. Hopefully I'll have the whole issue wrapped up in a week or two from now. The cover image below is a rough draft of the issue, and it will probably change once I get all the show coverages put together.

Thank you for taking the time to read this. If you want to become one of the only 200 lifetime subscription members, you can go to: www.modelcarsmag.com/lifetime and use the PayPal form. I’ll also set up in the next few days a mail-in form for those that like doing things the old fashioned way.

Mahalo nui loa (thank you very much)

Gregg

straight from the horse's mouth. complete with authentic Hawaiian salutation, which in itself is probably worth $150.
    Last edited by s.e.charles; 05-22-19 at 12:06 PM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #39

10. s.e.charles's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    s.e.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jo NZ View Post
    What forum?
    the model cars magazine has their own forum. it is purported by some to be the best forum in all of forumdom.
    QUOTE QUOTE #40

11. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    Harry Pristovnik did the work Gregg is taking credit for.
    In fact, according to Harry, Gregg did more to undermine and essentially sabotage the magazine and created all the delays himself in spite of the work Harry was doing.
    Then Gregg cheated him out of being paid; see a pattern?
    The last three articles I did for MCM were only done because Harry guaranteed me he would make sure I got paid after begging me for 2-3 years. (I knew not to trust Gregg.) I still have the apology email from Harry after Gregg screwed both of us.
    QUOTE QUOTE #41

12. Richard Bartrop's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Richard
    Quote Originally Posted by s.e.charles View Post
    the model cars magazine has their own forum. it is purported by some to be the best forum in all of forumdom.
    So many real modelers.
    QUOTE QUOTE #42

13. Bugatti Fan's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    Noel
    Richard Bartrup's statement 'So many real modellers'. Must be referring to the forum. Plenty of active modellers use it as in itself it is quite lively. Cannot say same for mcm magazine that looks about to fail completely. If magazine goes down not sure how the forum will be affected. Will that disappear too if the magazine goes it not being run as an independent entity?
    Some misguided souls would seem to think the hobby will collapse of mcm and the forum goes. NO! It will not! Kits and bits will still be made, and alternative forums and magazines will simply be migrated to, period!
    QUOTE QUOTE #43

14. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    I still post there, only to share with others and offer advice when asked. Whether I post there or not has no affect on the magazine being published or failing; that's all on Gregg.
    This hobby was around looooong before MCM and it will be around after too. Since MCM hasn't been published for so long can anyone show me how it has caused the hobby to decline?
    QUOTE QUOTE #44

15. Bugatti Fan's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    Noel
    A failing magazine (now producing only 1 or 2 copies a year?) won't make any difference whatsoever to the hobby. I very much doubt if Revell Will Model Cars Magazine Survive? /Monogram, Ebbro, Belkits, Hasegawa Will Model Cars Magazine Survive? , Fujimi Will Model Cars Magazine Survive? , Airfix, Heller, Tamiya Will Model Cars Magazine Survive? or any other mainstream manufacturer have even heard of Model Cars Magazine. Even if they had, seriously, would any kit manufacturer want to waste money advertising or getting kits reviewed in something that runs so far behind schedule to be a joke?
    In any case Scale Auto Magazine, previously known as Scale Auto Enthusiast has been around much, much longer, is an excellent magazine with Kalmbach, a long established publisher at the helm, AND their subscribers get what they paid for and on time!
    There is another USA car modelling magazine that I am aware of named Model Car Builder but I do not know how they operate as it is not available in the UK.
    In the UK there is a magazine named Truck Model World that has been around for about twenty years now and I believe that there is another newer USA based Truck Modelling Magazine that I have also not seen in the UK.
    QUOTE QUOTE #45