Close

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
  1. Timonator's Avatar Member
    Name
    Tim
    Its It's been well over a year since I've received an issue and my subscription was paid up.
    QUOTE QUOTE #16

2. Bugatti Fan's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    Noel
    No surprise there then? Any more in the same position........paid up and nothing coming?
    QUOTE QUOTE #17

3. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Me too!
    -craftsmanship is a lifelong project of
    self-construction and self determination
    QUOTE QUOTE #18

4. Bugatti Fan's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    Noel
    Same old platitudes on their forum...........We will be getting it back on track...............Working hard on the next edition.................etc etc etc
    QUOTE QUOTE #19

5. s.e.charles's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    s.e.
    there's some real diehards that believe the hobby will fold if the forum there goes down.
    QUOTE QUOTE #20

6. Bugatti Fan's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    Noel
    Really?....MCM's forum is not the be all and end all despite the diehards belief. It is always busy...Granted! But if their forum goes down (a) the hobby will not fold or suffer in the slightest and (b) there are plenty of other forums to join and their present users will simply migrate (c) do those diehards really think that Revell Will Model Cars Magazine Survive? , Tamiya Will Model Cars Magazine Survive? , Belkits, Ebbro, Model Factory Hiro Will Model Cars Magazine Survive? , Fujumi etc. will give up on making car kits? I think not.
    QUOTE QUOTE #21

7. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    I hate to be the reinforcer of bad news. (Is it news?)

The last time I had a subscription for MCM it was for 1 year/6 issues. I got 3, t
    hat's all.
    I'm even listed in the header as a contributor in an issue I got.
    (And I wasn't a contributor at that time.)
    They have printed at least two more since I received the last issue.

Not really complaining, just pointing out the lie they are saying now that if you subscribed for a set amount of issues per year before they reset the amount you would "get what you thought you were paying for".

I used to be a relatively consistent contributor, until my "longtime friend" Gregg decided to not pay for work that was requested by the magazine (and worse, he slandered/libeled me).

Don't be fooled. Gregg is behaving like a huckster, and any money spent on a subscription is better off used on a lottery ticket or if you want genuine results, a Kleenex or toilet paper.

The MCM forum; as active and fun as it is/can be, it is not a bellwether of the hobby. Sadly many there may group-think it is the end all place to be now. Look how many of the most vocal have been kicked out of other forums; it seems drama is wanted over quality content.

It may well be remembered as a footnote; like the Hobby Heaven message board for example. It too was great, once. And as dead as it is compared to what it was; it survives at a lower lever than the hobby in general.

Yes, I share my work there (MCM Forum; I think I was Member #92), only to bolster the modeling community. If asked to leave, I'm fine with that. I'm there for other builders. I hope what I share is helpful to them and I give it freely.

If or when it collapses builders will find another venue. After all, nature abhors a vacuum.
    Last edited by ScaleMaster; 01-29-19 at 09:38 AM.
    Build what you want and build it for yourself, the rest will follow... - Mark D. Jones
    QUOTE QUOTE #22

8. Bugatti Fan's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    Noel
    Still unpaid for my Duel article in Nov 2015 MCM.
    Their forum is still active but has the magazine finally gone under?
    QUOTE QUOTE #23

9. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    I think it is doing the proverbial swirling in the bowl. Or maybe it already clogged it up.
    I keep hearing that another issue is going to be printed, but after how many years of nothing find it hard to believe it will materialize.

Sadly I doubt you will ever get paid by Gregg/MCM for your article. Even if it is published by them. Go ahead and sue, not sure how you can collect from someone with no cash living with his in-laws.
    Build what you want and build it for yourself, the rest will follow... - Mark D. Jones
    QUOTE QUOTE #24

10. Bugatti Fan's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    Noel
    I hope that Gregg has the front to make an appearance at the GSL Show that is almost upon us. A good opportunity for unpaid authors to have a go at him face to face! He needs to be confronted but it is doubtful he will go there and risk facing many disgruntled contributors.
    Anybody who writes for Model Cars Magazine now must be as foolhardy as the musicians on the deck of the Titanic when it sank. As for payment? Gregg is having a laugh! It is well on the slippery slope. From what I have heard there is a rumour that the number of magazines per annum has been 'adjusted' down. Whether true or not will probably not make any difference to the writing on the wall going by how the subscriber deliveries (or lack of) have been over this last couple of years of so. He appears to be playing the sympathy card for so long now that people are getting fed up with it. One has to realise that the magazine is a commercial magazine, not a club newsletter, and the management (if you can call it that) has a duty to supply its subscribers on time with what they have paid up front for!
    QUOTE QUOTE #25

11. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    Sadly he still has a small group of blinded defenders willing to shout down anyone that dares to voice an opinion based on the facts. It's amazing to see the excuses they come up with, and the anger they show when confronted with facts counter to their fantasy. Presumably wishing and recalling the past is enough for them and I wouldn't be surprised if Gregg's laughing them as well.
    QUOTE QUOTE #26

12. Bugatti Fan's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    Noel
    One day all of Gregg's blinkered acolytes will get the message when the proverbial penny finally drops!
    QUOTE QUOTE #27

13. s.e.charles's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    s.e.
    Quote Originally Posted by ScaleMaster View Post
    Sadly he still has a small group of blinded defenders willing to shout down anyone that dares to voice an opinion based on the facts. It's amazing to see the excuses they come up with, and the anger they show when confronted with facts counter to their fantasy. Presumably wishing and recalling the past is enough for them and I wouldn't be surprised if Gregg's laughing them as well.

x infinity!
    QUOTE QUOTE #28

14. ScaleMaster's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mark
    I was at the GSL show in Utah last week and low & behold Gregg showed up. He had a table and photographic equipment set up and was ostensibly shooting for the upcoming Contest Issue. Never mind how far he is behind on delivering the paid for standard issues...

But the really sad and insulting part was his new scam of begging for Lifetime Subscriptions.
    Here is a shot of the begging card:

There's even more (contradictory) info on the MCM site too.
    Also note that he considers "a Subscription" a "Per Issue" deal. Not the normal One Year / X amount of issues per year like every other magazine.

What does Lifetime mean in this case? His lifetime? The magazine's (which is arguable already dead)? Or some other lame excuse (dare I say lie?) to be announced after he takes the money and runs. Surprisingly already a few have signed up for this sham.

A few observations make me wonder...
    Where will he get content after he stiffed so many contributors and alienated even more? And of the ones providing free content, how much of it is worth reading, let alone paying for?
    If he has no money, where did he come up with the funds for the plane flight from and back to Hawaii and lodging? (He's told me he only flies first class due to his back injury.) I stayed in the same hotel and while it was discounted for the show it was not cheap. All that time in the bar had to add up too.
    QUOTE QUOTE #29

15. s.e.charles's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    s.e.
    did you ask him any questions in order to gauge his response?

were any other of the show goers doing the same, or simply genuflecting as they passed by?
    QUOTE QUOTE #30