Close

1. jay*doc's Avatar Member
    Name
    Jay
    Hello All!

I've recently took on a project to build a Big Red Rod (original release) and was doing some research when I stumbled upon this site. I've never tackled a 1/8th scale project, so I was looking for input and recommendations based on others experiences.

A little bit about myself. I'm an almost 30 year old kid that treats everyday like an adventure. Not a day goes by where I don't learn something or try something new. I'm in the field of Product Development for a large (world's largest) Vehicle Wrap Supply Company. I'm married, no kids yet, and loving life.

Typically, when it comes to my builds, I stick to the 1/24th and 1/25th scale variety. I love building kits for myself for the accomplishment, but the best ones I've ever built are the ones that I am building for someone else. Thats where the Big Red Rod comes into play.

I'm taking on this project as a Christmas Present for my dad. He mentioned a few times that next time I'm in town that he wants me to take it home with me. He apparently started it many years ago and only got so far before it went back in the box on the shelf. I had mom pull it down, repackage all the parts and instructions to mail to me and put the empty box back on the shelf. Hopefully he doesn't pull it down before Christmas!

So on to the build, I'll start fresh in the next post.

Thanks!

jay*doc
    QUOTE QUOTE #1

2. jay*doc's Avatar Member
    Name
    Jay
    OK, so to get started on the build, I had to inventory what I had to work with.

The Good: No missing parts and an instructional book.

The Bad: Motor was assembled straight out of the box, no paint, no flashing removal and lots of over-glued areas. Same with front suspension. Shifter handle was broken off very close to the base.

I started by disassembling as much of the motor as I could to sand jay*doc's intro and Big Red (rat) Rod and paint it in a few various colors to give it some depth. By the way, this build is neither intended to be an exact replica of the box art, or 100% correct in way of colors. This is strictly a visual piece.

I was able to remove a decent amount of parts to spray in various hues. In my opinion, there is a bit too much in the way of chrome on this particular kit, so some of that has been colored as well. The chrome also, over time, has become very spotty and aged looked. Good in some aspects, bad in others. I thought the headers would look good with a mock wrap on them to cover up some of the chrome and play on the rat rod theme.

When it came to the frame and suspension, the frame was treated to flat black while the suspension components were painted gloss black. So far I love the subtle contrast of it. At some point the wheels were already painted black, so I left them.

Please feel free to visit my gallery of this build at MobileMe Gallery

I am using my iPhone and an app called hipstamatic to give the photos a rough, 70's type of feel, as if they were taken during an original build.

Thanks for looking. Any advice or input is welcomed!

jay*doc

jay*doc's intro and Big Red (rat) Rod
    QUOTE QUOTE #2

3. Andym's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Andy
    Welcome to the site Jay. Now that you've stumbled upon us, bookmark us and make sure to come back often. It's great to see some young blood around here.

The best advice I can give is to post lots of pictures, ask lots of questions and DO NOT HAVE CHILDREN. Seriously man... they will eat you out of house and home and suck up every free minute you've got. Take, take, take... that's all they do. Change 'em and a week later ya gotta change 'em again. Feed 'em and before you can say "I wonder if I should buy that Pocher" they want to be fed again. That's right buddy boy, don't have any kids until you've decided that you're done loving life, you're sick of having money and you think you've smelled every smell there is.

And free time??? [I][B]forget it![/B][/I] Once you have kids your free time is gone faster than Oprah Winfrey at a Dolly Madison convention.

Anybody else want to give this fine young man some advice? Lord knows I've done all I can at this point.

Again - Welcome to Scale Motorcars

Andy.
    When I was young I used to say "[I]When I grow up I'm going to be somebody!"
    [/I]
    I now realize I should have been more specific.
    QUOTE QUOTE #3

4. jay*doc's Avatar Member
    Name
    Jay
    Thanks for the warm welcome and words of warning. But eventually, I'm going to have to take that plunge and have some kids. Probably in about another year or so. Then in 25 years or so when the kids are gone, I'll be the one giving the warnings about not having kids to some young'n. It's a vicious cycle, but such is life.

Back to the build topic, does anyone know where to get a figurine to place in the drivers seat? I've tried to look around a bit, but no luck so far.

More pics of progress to come as I work on it!

jay*doc

QUOTE QUOTE #4

5. Andym's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Andy
    Jay - I'd start by looking at dollhouse supply stores. If nothing turns up there, try looking at a local toy store.

I was once looking for a male figure for a diorama (1:8 scale) and all I could find was cutsie barbie-like dolls as all the male figures were way too big. After I redressed her in jeans and a t-shirt (easy to make out of an old pair of jeans and an old t-shirt), painted on new facial features and facial hair and added a hat it was perfect. For some reason, female figures seem to come in a lot more scales than do their male counterparts.

Good luck.

Andy.
    When I was young I used to say "[I]When I grow up I'm going to be somebody!"
    [/I]
    I now realize I should have been more specific.
    QUOTE QUOTE #5

6. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Welcome to the site, Jay. I'm also glad to see some younger blood enter the system. I think OBH has used some GI Joe figures for some of his builds. At least I think that's what he used.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #6

7. jay*doc's Avatar Member
    Name
    Jay
    Looks like a trip to toys r us is in order to look for gi joes and other options.

I went to a craft show this past weekend with my wife in hopes of running across something, but no luck. I did see a 1/12 monogram berlinetta camaro, but was not completely bit by the large scale bug to investigate. Already kicking myself for that one.

Happy Turkey Day to all!

jay*doc

QUOTE QUOTE #7

8. Tage's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Daniel
    Jay,
    I found a Fonzie figure on e-bay that is 1:8 scale.
    I'm sure there are more out there.
    QUOTE QUOTE #8

9. jay*doc's Avatar Member
    Name
    Jay
    Hello all! Hope everyone had a great thanksgiving holiday! The 4 day weekend allowed me to get lots done on the model, but unfortunately I found my first missing pieces. The switch and grommets are missing. I am thinking about a radioshack run to get small push switches for on the dash. See updated photos in the link on post 2. Thanks for all the feedback and offered help so far!

QUOTE QUOTE #9

10. jay*doc's Avatar Member
    Name
    Jay
    I also ran into something that I'm hoping for some suggestions on. I am definitely classified more as a hobbyist/kitbuilder, so some basic scratchbuilding info may be helpful.

The shifter handle is broken off very close to the base. I tried making a "collar" out of styrene jay*doc's intro and Big Red (rat) Rod to clamp around the piece coming out of the transmission and the stick shifter. But after it was assembled, it was still not strong enough to put into gear.

My only other idea so far is to try and drill a pin sized hole in trans and shifter and connect with a safety pin piece through the center. Even with that, I am worried that I'll weaken it to the point of making it break worse.

Any advice?

Thanks!

QUOTE QUOTE #10