Close

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
  1. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Thanks guys, I'll add more to this thread as time allows. David....I eat like a horse and it doesn't seem to help with the wrinkles. Maybe a little primer Cut, Weld and Reshape Plastic surfacer would do the trick.
    Grandpa McGurk.....Steppin' Large and Livin' easy.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #16

2. Deuces-wild's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Guido
    ..... And maybe some sanding Cut, Weld and Reshape Plastic to get rid of the high spots... :D
    Be nice or else ~1~**
    QUOTE QUOTE #17

3. whodaky's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Geoff
    Just had my first go at plastic welding. All I can say is WOW.
    Thanks for a great tech post Don.
    Geoff aka whodaky
    QUOTE QUOTE #18

4. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    It works really well and when you use the styrene Cut, Weld and Reshape Plastic as the filler, it sands like the original plastic. Now instead of gluing Cut, Weld and Reshape Plastic my fingers together, I'm burning them and welding them together.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #19

5. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Guys, you are too kind...I don't know anymore than anyone else. I just enjoy finding the easiest way to solve a problem, I've tried all the miracle adhesives, bondo and fillers Cut, Weld and Reshape Plastic .....nothing more than band aids in my mind. Plastic is as plastic does, if you work with plastic it only makes sense to use plastic...right? Sands the same as plastic, has the same composition as the material around, in and on it....simple, use plastic to work on plastic.
    Here's a tip I picked up from my bud Keith (88 proof), dissolve some plastic scrap in lacquer Cut, Weld and Reshape Plastic thinner Cut, Weld and Reshape Plastic to use as a filler for those pesky little pin holes.....yes you can heavily modify a body using NO glue or fillers Cut, Weld and Reshape Plastic other than (guess what) plastic.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #20

6. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    I tried to dissolve some of the plastic in the lacquer Cut, Weld and Reshape Plastic thinner Cut, Weld and Reshape Plastic I got at Lowe's. I guess all lacquer Cut, Weld and Reshape Plastic thinners are not equal. I think the automotive stuff is what you need to use.
    I also tried to dissolve some styrene Cut, Weld and Reshape Plastic in different liquid cements and came up with similar results. Testor's liquid cement was cheap but it was the worst. It took too long for the solvent to come out so it could be sanded, about 1 week. Plastruct and Tenax were pretty much equally good but still had long hardening times, about 3 or 4 days. You also have to add it in thin sections and let it degas in between each application or else the deeper sections will hold the solvents for a long time making it impractical. I tried MEK about 2 years ago and that material is totally unacceptable. It works well but it's extremely toxic. The risks well outweigh any benefits making it not worth fooling around with.
    The melting technique seems to be the best alternative so long as you have the right tip for the job. Don has already shown the rounded end and the fatter end. I would definitely start with those. I also tried a pointed end and that worked o.k. but you have a greater chance of poking right through the plastic and leaving a mess. It's worth getting a heater that has the capability for multiple tips. Again, thanks Don for putting this technique out. It takes a major step toward simplifying our work.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #21

7. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Well, so much for new techniques. There I was welding away when it happened. My hand went one way and the wire pulled the iron out of my right hand. It flew up and came down on my left hand index finger and went "ssssssssssss". :eek: Ow, that really hurt. I now have a 3/4 inch wide blister on my index finger. It doesn't hurt much anymore except for the embarrassment. Oh well, back to Lowe's for an idiot proof soldering iron set. Is there any such thing?:( :( :(
    QUOTE QUOTE #22

8. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Jeff in your case about the only thing that would help is welders gloves and apron, hee, hee. I keep a number of small wood paddles on the work bench to shape and flatten molten plastic with, had a bad habit of using my fingers but it didn't take long to realize that melted plastic will stick to your fingers.
    Be careful guys...these irons stay hot Cut, Weld and Reshape Plastic for a while even after they have been unplugged.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #23

9. Deuces-wild's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Guido
    This gives me an idea :) I wonder how those little $1 hot Cut, Weld and Reshape Plastic glue guns would work with plastic?? Just shove a 5/16 piece of tubing in there and go to town. :D It just might work.... And then maybe not. I'll give it a try. :)
    Be nice or else ~1~**
    QUOTE QUOTE #24

10. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    I don't know if the hot Cut, Weld and Reshape Plastic glue gun gets that hot Cut, Weld and Reshape Plastic . It's worth a try. That sodering iron really gets HOT Cut, Weld and Reshape Plastic .
    QUOTE QUOTE #25

11. Deuces-wild's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Guido
    Your probably right Jeff. :( Maybe we should try and re-invent the hot Cut, Weld and Reshape Plastic glue gun to burn a little hotter. :D A rotory dial might even work for different heat levels. It be something to look into.
    Be nice or else ~1~**
    QUOTE QUOTE #26

12. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    You guys need to go build something...you're begining to frighten me.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #27

13. Deuces-wild's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Guido
    ..... Anything but "the corner" The last time I looked, it was a mess with empty pizza boxes, pop cans and half chewed crayons. :D
    Be nice or else ~1~**
    QUOTE QUOTE #28

14. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Buuuurrrrrppppp!!! Sorry about the pop cans and pizza boxes.

I think the problem may be solvable in two ways. The first is to find a good solvent that doesn't take forever to degas and harden up. The other way would be be to have a soldering iron with more handle than tip so that accidents like mine have much less chance to happen. One of the tools I used to work with when I did my dental lab work which is now in my workshop, was a wax melting setup. It came with a number of tips from a spear point to a large spoon for scooping up the molten wax. The iron part was connected to a box with a temperature setting dial and second switch which allowed the tip to be turned off when you weren't handling it and rapidly heated to temperature when you needed it again. It heats up to 400 degrees but that isn't hot Cut, Weld and Reshape Plastic enough to really get the melted styrene Cut, Weld and Reshape Plastic to go easily where you want it. The chance of having an accident with this setup is way less than a long soldering tip that has no shut off switch. Does anyone know of a good soldering set up that can do this and still get hot Cut, Weld and Reshape Plastic enough?
    QUOTE QUOTE #29

15. whodaky's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Geoff
    Just been doing a bit more plastic welding on an actual model. Boy is this a god send.
    The fact that the joint is instantaneous and you don't have to wait for glue to dry, makes this such a versatile technique.
    No images but I am loving this plastic welding.
    Don thankyou so much for letting us in on this!!!!
    Geoff aka whodaky
    QUOTE QUOTE #30