Close

Original Flathead
Goal amount for this year: 518 USD, Received: 415.00 USD (80%)
Scalemotorcars is a free and open community devoted to scale modeling. The heart and soul of Scalemotorcars is our global community of over 10,000+ contributors, millions of readers, and donors like yourself – all united to share unlimited access to reliable information. Your donations keep Scalemotorcars freely available to everyone.

This years bandwidth costs, hosting service, domain registration, software licensing fees, and maintenance cost have a balance of $518 due by the end of August, (extended to the end of Septembers). Please help us keep Scalemotorcars growing by making a donation today.
Thank you.

Original Flathead Original Flathead Original Flathead Original Flathead Original Flathead
Accepted Payment Types

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. sydeem's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Sydney
    Part way through with heads and the tranny is fixed thanks to Don's suggestion to cut a part out of a kit tranny.

Rebuilding the water pumps and I will attach bolt heads to pump flanges before gluing Original Flathead them. If you hadn't said something Don I would have built the new pumps complete like the old ones than struggled with drilling and mounting bolts on them. Amazing how befuddled one can be if they don't spend their lives using their hands in the real world.
    Attached Images Attached Images Original Flathead-interum-heads-jpg 
    Syd
    QUOTE QUOTE #16

2. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Syd, that's really looking fantastic. This is going to turn out beautiful.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #17

3. sydeem's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Sydney
    "Are you going to drill and add bolt heads to the oil pan? If so, here's a thought......trace the outline of the pan flange onto a piece of thin styrene Original Flathead , drill the holes and add the bolt heads to it. Sand Original Flathead the flange (on a flat surface) completely off the resin Original Flathead pan. CA the new flange with the pre installed bolt heads heads to the pan......this way is a lot easier than tryin' to drill and add bolt heads to the resin Original Flathead part and the results are mo betta'. "

Yes Don - will be trying bolted pan.

I see what you suggest now but I will have to do this one over. First mistake is in pic 1. I was afraid there would no be enough room for bolts and I positioned holes to close to the edge. Then in pic 2 I didn’t shave the flange as close as I should have. Pic 3 shows flange. Pic 4 shows assembly and the extra space between flange edge and pan. This wasn’t clear when I drew pan flange outline.

Will draw another copy of flange then draw pan outline. This will give me better positioning for the bolts. Should have done this first but I wasn’t sure I really wanted to cut off the pan flange till I saw how this came out.
    Attached Images Attached Images Original Flathead-pan-1-jpg  Original Flathead-pan-2-jpg  Original Flathead-pan-3-jpg  Original Flathead-pan-4-jpg 
    Syd
    QUOTE QUOTE #18

4. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    That's great. I'm going to use that technique myself. Thanks Don and Syd. This one's a winner.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #19

5. sydeem's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Sydney
    First time playing with clay. Sculpey seems too soft to hold the shapes I am trying to make. Can't hold the part while sculpting its shape without distorting what I have already done.

I made one sample then just cut some rough blocks to size and heated the works. Probably didn't heat them long enough because they came out the consistancy of soap. The good part though is I can sculpt the soap easily. Tomorrow I will reheat these parts to see if they become as hard as the resin Original Flathead parts. But in the mean time anyone want to give a little tutorial on sculpey action?
    Syd
    QUOTE QUOTE #20

6. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    That would be a great idea. I know there are some of you guys who have used Sculpey and I know that it's a great material. Syd, if you sculpt and reheat the parts and it comes out like you want it, write that up. We used to have a material for white fillings that worked the same way. You half cured it and easily sculpted it with a carving instrument and when it was done, it was recured, final shaped and polished. It sounds like a winner.
    QUOTE QUOTE #21

7. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Syd, Super Sculptey comes in a couple of different compounds.......

I use the "Firm" because....
    Texture is perfect for sculpting fine details
    Gray color makes clay easy to see and photograph
    Shatter and chip resistant

15 minutes at 275 per 1/4" of thickness
    If you need to make a part thicker than 1/2" use tin foil or some sort of wire frame to build up the bulk.
    Grandpa McGurk.....Steppin' Large and Livin' easy.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #22

8. sydeem's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Sydney
    Very interesting. I saw various colors but did not know there were various compounds. Have looked over package carefully and there is nothing that tells firm -soft - hard - or???
    Syd
    QUOTE QUOTE #23

9. sydeem's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Sydney
    OK guys - heres the scoop.
    There is more to sculpy than meets the eye. Their web site is
    http://www.sculpey.com/

What I had found locally was I guess some toy stuff for kids. For those of us not near a real craft shop and have to relie on the web you can not buy from Sculpey.com - you have to buy from a craft shop on the web. One of those is

http://www.misterart.com/store/view/...g-Compound.htm

they have the grey - firm - clay Don mentions in 1 lb bricks.
    Syd
    QUOTE QUOTE #24

10. GMCMAN52's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    John
    Thanks for the website info...just checked both sites ...Now I'm off to the craft store in town to pick some up.....I have to stay off this site your making a modeling monster out of me..................to many projects and not enough time so I better be off and get something done............
    QUOTE QUOTE #25

11. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    My local Hobby Lobby (just opened a few months ago) usually has it, 13 bucks a lb., I am on their mailing list and use the 40% Off coupon to get mine. I'll post a pic of the package Sunday to make it a little easier to search for.
    Syd, whan I read your earlier post I figured you had picked up the "Gumby" toy stuff. Sorry, I should have let you know before you bought it.
    Grandpa McGurk.....Steppin' Large and Livin' easy.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #26

12. sydeem's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Sydney
    Oh well, I plan to use the stuff I have until it runs out. I will just cook it first. It is in the second picture and isn't what anybody should buy.

The first picture is the block and heads/water pumps. Thanks for the front end Don. (Distributer still needs a little work). I am trying to figure out whether to paint some Mr Surfacer 1000 on the puttied areas to better see what needs smoothing or to just prime and then fix.
    Attached Images Attached Images Original Flathead-engine-front-distributor-jpg  Original Flathead-sculpey-jpg 
    Last edited by sydeem; 05-04-07 at 08:16 PM.
    Syd
    QUOTE QUOTE #27

13. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    I found a different brand at Hobby Lobby. They only had the reall small packs of Sculpey, not the bricks. I'm glad you posted that Syd. I wonder how many guys bought the same stuff you did and won't try that technique again. That engine is looking fantastic. You've got that distributor coming along great.
    QUOTE QUOTE #28

14. GMCMAN52's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    John
    Hi all ,, I stopped by the craft store and purchase the super sculpey (frim) last on too,,, now to make something out of it..... I did stop by my local Hobby lobby and they also carry the stuff and it was a whole dollar cheaper... so when I run out it ,off to hobby lobby with a coupon .. Thanks for the tip guyzl:
    QUOTE QUOTE #29

15. sydeem's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Sydney
    They sure used a lot of bolts to hold the original manifold down. Don thanks for the prototype manifold to butcher. Almost ready to assemble engine. Couldn't find the green blue color ford used so I will have teal engine.
    Attached Images Attached Images Original Flathead-front-manifold-top-jpg  Original Flathead-rear-manifold-jpg 
    Syd
    QUOTE QUOTE #30