Close

What to do with old stock
Goal amount for this year: 518 USD, Received: 415.00 USD (80%)
Scalemotorcars is a free and open community devoted to scale modeling. The heart and soul of Scalemotorcars is our global community of over 10,000+ contributors, millions of readers, and donors like yourself all united to share unlimited access to reliable information. Your donations keep Scalemotorcars freely available to everyone.

This years bandwidth costs, hosting service, domain registration, software licensing fees, and maintenance cost have a balance of $518 due by the end of August, (extended to the end of Septembers). Please help us keep Scalemotorcars growing by making a donation today.
Thank you.

What to do with old stock What to do with old stock What to do with old stock What to do with old stock What to do with old stock
Accepted Payment Types

1. EstebanLoco's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Steve
    Hello and best regards all...

It's been about 3 years since I've been able to apply Exacto to styrene What to do with old stock and as I ease back into the hobby I realize just how much I have missed it. I hope you all give me a 'hall pass' while I adjust.

As part of my readjustment therapy (and with heavy influence from my better half) it has been suggested that I build some of the numerous kits I have acquired over the years. The choice was clear.

So, over the next few months I'll be posting updates on a few 1:12 builds and I hope to draw on any experience and knowledge my fellow members my have to assist me.

Of the many 1:12 kits I have in inventory I'd like to focus first on the Tamiya What to do with old stock Datsun 240Z. I bought a partial build about 15 years ago that the guy did minimal damage before giving up. Not knowing if there were parts missing (which there were) I bough a new (old stock) kit at a cheap price (about $80) on eBay.

In he meantime I discovered out that Tamiya What to do with old stock updated the 40+ year kit with new high performance upgrades like RS Watanabe wheels and Mikuni tri carb setup. They also included the factory option rear spoiler and other cool parts. So I bought one of those too.

I've built Tamiya What to do with old stock 1:12 kits before and the are pretty straight-forward. However, I know there are issues that a first time builder will come across.

So...does anyone have experience with this kit? Can you give me any insight as to what I should look out for?

Of course, as with most or all Tamiya What to do with old stock kits, there is the ability to super-detail which I expect to do.

Thanks in advance for any help or insight you guys can give.

Steve
    I'm just a soul whose intentions are good . . .

"A picture is worth a thousand words, but a model is worth a thousand pictures." Harley Earl
    QUOTE QUOTE #1

2. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Not much I can offer in the way of what to look out for with the Z car Steve as I've never built one, although I did give a pal a hand swapping a SBC into a full size 240. You will find that while you've been away from the hobby (or art as I prefer to call it) much more has become available as far as aftermarket parts go. Now that 3-D printing has come on the scene many of the goodies that were on our wish list are now available.

I will definitely be following your 240 Z build when it hits the workbench.
    Grandpa McGurk.....Steppin' Large and Livin' easy.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #2

3. EstebanLoco's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Steve
    Thanks Don. I'm using the partial kit as a prototype. So far I've opened up the fuel filler door and the air inlet vents on the cowl. Pretty straightforward. I also found the 3-piece bumpers to be a challenge. One is chrome and it is impossible to assemble it without showing some ugly seams. So, obviously you must strip, assemble, sand What to do with old stock & detail, fill, primer What to do with old stock , etc. and then re-chrome when done. I also built a new rear hatch 'stay' (the gas-filled tubes) out of telescoping aluminum tube. I plan to use 1mm bolt and nut to secure the stay on both the hatch & body.

This kit must not have been that popular but to Tamiya What to do with old stock 's credit they reissued it with modern parts. I wish they would have offered it with left-hand drive. It would seem with all the advances in CAD and tooling that it would be simple enough to do. Oh well, it's not a deal breaker for me.

A SBC in a 240Z sounds interesting.

"A picture is worth a thousand words, but a model is worth a thousand pictures." Harley Earl
    QUOTE QUOTE #3

4. EstebanLoco's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Steve
    I was checking out TDR What to do with old stock 's SBC and it looks like the TPI intake might just fit under the Z's hood. Any thoughts?

QUOTE QUOTE #4

5. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Sounds like a fairly easy swap Steve, as you can see in the photo the SBC Chevy with a four barrel and air cleaner fits without altering the hood.
    You'd need to make motor mounts, new cross member & headers, but I don't think the TPI intake would be much taller that the carb and air cleaner set-up?

What to do with old stock-8-jpg

Here's one with a later SBC

What to do with old stock-zcar-jpg

Here's some interesting reading: (scroll down to the Excerpt from the introduction)

http://www.jagsthatrun.com/Pages/Datsun_Z_V-8.html
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #5

6. EstebanLoco's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Steve
    Okay. Six days until TKR surgery. I've been keeping busy playing with the 240Z. Here is the bracket for the rear hatch gas damper. I removed the middle portion where you are supposed to snap the lower half of the 2-piece damper into place. That needed some improvement. I made my own damper out of telescoping aluminum rod, squeezing the ends flat and drilling them out to accept 1mm bolt, nut & washer. Much stronger and easier to install. I'm finding the 1mm bolt very useful in 1/12 scale
    Attached Images Attached Images What to do with old stock-240z-05-11-2016-09-jpg  What to do with old stock-240z-05-11-2016-01-jpg 

QUOTE QUOTE #6

7. EstebanLoco's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Steve
    I mentioned the 3-piece bumpers in an earlier post. Here I have stripped, assembled, removed the seams and primered. I reinforced the front bumper with .100 Evergreen rod from the rear and finished with 2-part epoxy What to do with old stock . Not pretty but it won't show. Much stronger. Both bumpers will be chromed.
    Attached Images Attached Images What to do with old stock-240z-05-11-2016-11-jpg  What to do with old stock-240z-05-11-2016-12-jpg 

QUOTE QUOTE #7

8. EstebanLoco's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Steve
    I forgot to post this picture of the cowl air vents that I mentioned in an earlier post. A slow process but visually superior over the alternative.
    Attached Images Attached Images What to do with old stock-240z-05-11-2016-10-jpg 

QUOTE QUOTE #8

9. EstebanLoco's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Steve
    And finally, the fuel door. The 'hinge' was a challenge and took several prototypes before I settled on this. It's 3/32" aluminum tube, flattened on one end where it attaches to the back of the fuel door. The other side is bent and inserts into a short piece of plastic tube glued the the inside of the fender. The rest I made from Evergreen sheet and strip from photos I got by Googling 240Z fuel door (gotta love technology). The mock-up allowed me to 'practice' installing the assembly during final assembly. Excuse the masking What to do with old stock tape.
    Attached Images Attached Images What to do with old stock-240z-05-11-2016-03-jpg  What to do with old stock-240z-05-11-2016-02-jpg  What to do with old stock-240z-05-11-2016-04-jpg  What to do with old stock-240z-05-11-2016-05-jpg  What to do with old stock-240z-05-11-2016-06-jpg  What to do with old stock-240z-05-11-2016-07-jpg  What to do with old stock-240z-05-11-2016-08-jpg 

QUOTE QUOTE #9

10. EstebanLoco's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Steve
    Here are a couple of pictures of my new shop, dubbed "Stevie's Speed Shop".
    Attached Images Attached Images What to do with old stock-stevies-speed-shop-1-jpg  What to do with old stock-stevies-speed-shop-2-jpg 

QUOTE QUOTE #10

11. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Superb workmanship on the "Z" Steve........."Stevie's Speed Shop" is a work of art in itself, I'm jealous.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #11