Close

I did it!! I started a project!
Goal amount for this year: 518 USD, Received: 295.00 USD (57%)
Scalemotorcars is a free and open community devoted to scale modeling. The heart and soul of Scalemotorcars is our global community of over 10,000+ contributors, millions of readers, and donors like yourself all united to share unlimited access to reliable information. Your donations keep Scalemotorcars freely available to everyone.

This years bandwidth costs, hosting service, domain registration, software licensing fees, and maintenance cost have a balance of $518 due by the end of August. Please help us keep Scalemotorcars growing by making a donation today.
Thank you.

I did it!! I started a project! I did it!! I started a project! I did it!! I started a project! I did it!! I started a project! I did it!! I started a project!
Accepted Payment Types

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. docwatson1938's Avatar Update Profile Please
    Name
    Doc.
    Ok, so after loosing everything I have been cruising the $2 cheapo shops for some basic tools to get back into the hobby.
    I have enough now to start so I parted with nearly $50 bucks for a basic Revell I did it!! I started a project! kit (Crazy prices over here!), it hurt to lay out the $$ and I will be eating 2 min noodles for a week but, I just had to scratch the styrene I did it!! I started a project! itch!
    Just a basic build this will be, chop the top, maybe a light section, flattie powered taildragger. Kinda like the Rudy Rodriguez 40 Merc.

Once I get a little way into the chop I will post pics.

Damn it's fun to be doing this again.

Doc.
    Last edited by docwatson1938; 08-23-10 at 04:58 PM.
    Proud to have served.

Wondering, WHY ME? since 1972.
    QUOTE QUOTE #1

2. whodaky's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Geoff
    Hi Doc;
    Good to hear you are building again.
    I have been working on various 1/18th diecast of late, with a new 1/6th piece sought of happening.
    If there is anything obscure ( or even none obscure) you may need for your project let me know!
    Geoff aka whodaky
    QUOTE QUOTE #2

3. docwatson1938's Avatar Update Profile Please
    Name
    Doc.
    Hey Geoff, thanks for the offer mate. As of yet I haven't come across anything I need but..... like I said, thanks for the offer.

Show us some of your projects, you seem to be able to get a level of detail and realism in diecast that eludes me!

Doc.
    Proud to have served.

QUOTE QUOTE #3

4. docwatson1938's Avatar Update Profile Please
    Name
    Doc.
    Well I started to play around with the 40 but then, not only did the roof fall off it broke into little bit's!!

I dunno, what the hell do I do NOW!!

Doc.
    Proud to have served.

QUOTE QUOTE #4

5. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Don't quite understand what you're saying Doc....can't get my head around why the top broke up....what's the body made of?

You could always convert it to a roadster and fab up a chopped Carson style top.
    Grandpa McGurk.....Steppin' Large and Livin' easy.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #5

6. docwatson1938's Avatar Update Profile Please
    Name
    Doc.
    Its styrene I did it!! I started a project! , but I sat down with the model and a razor saw and the next thing I know the roof had fallen off........................

I don't remember a thing, it all happened so fast.....??!!

Doc.
    Proud to have served.

QUOTE QUOTE #6

7. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    At least the parts broke off pretty clean.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #7

8. strevo's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Steve
    Quote Originally Posted by docwatson1938 View Post
    Its styrene I did it!! I started a project! , but I sat down with the model and a razor saw and the next thing I know the roof had fallen off........................

I don't remember a thing, it all happened so fast.....??!!

Doc.
    Things tend to fall apart around me too when I have a razor saw in hand. Weird coincidence.
    -Steve
    "Success and failure are the same choice; only attitude determines the difference." Ross A. Halliday
    QUOTE QUOTE #8

9. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    So........that's why every time I take the shrink wrap off a new model, open the box with every intention of building a OOB I did it!! I started a project! only to discover that the parts once exposed to fresh air loose the ability to hold their shape.

Thanks guys, it's a relief to know that it happens to others....are the big manufacturers aware of this dilemma? Could this situation turn into a an epidemic?
    Grandpa McGurk.....Steppin' Large and Livin' easy.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #9

10. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Funny you should mention epedemic. It's actually a disease called AMS or advanced modeller's syndrome. It's basically a condition characterized by the total inability to leave parts in a kit in the same shape as they were molded. A sure sign is a drawer or shelf full of half done assemblies that don't resemble anything in the instruction sheet or on the box. There is no cure I did it!! I started a project! , there is no treatment, there is no hope of recovery. So sad.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #10

11. strevo's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Steve
    Unfortunately it's a progressive disease that only gets worse with time.
    -Steve
    "Success and failure are the same choice; only attitude determines the difference." Ross A. Halliday
    QUOTE QUOTE #11

12. Deuces-wild's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Guido
    Yeah like how many projects did I start on and haven't finished??? Maybe I should get back to work huh??
    Be nice or else ~1~**
    QUOTE QUOTE #12

13. docwatson1938's Avatar Update Profile Please
    Name
    Doc.
    I feel better..........
    well I thought about it and decided to try and put it back on, looks nothing like it did, not real happy with the flow of it though.
    It may just fall off again?

Needs a lot of filling and sanding I did it!! I started a project! !!
    Proud to have served.

QUOTE QUOTE #13

14. docwatson1938's Avatar Update Profile Please
    Name
    Doc.
    Ok, I put it all in a box and shook it up, this is what dropped out.

Doc.
    Proud to have served.

QUOTE QUOTE #14

15. Deuces-wild's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Guido
    Nice chop!!
    Be nice or else ~1~**
    QUOTE QUOTE #15