Close

1. ScaleMotorcars's Avatar Administrator
    Name
    Daniel
    Ive copied this over to a thread because a few guys wanted to follow the build. Since its not really a model I stuck it in the Off Topic forum.

Basically this the start to my new desk fan. So far theres nearly 200 parts in the blades and pitch control. The main hub started life as a century old clock spring drum. The prop blades are from the 1950's that I cut in half then glued to some cheap wooden knobs from the craft store. Each knob had a slot milled down the center so I could glue the blade in then with just some minor tweaking and a metal pivot added to each I ended up with adjustable pitch blades. Basically all the brass came from something else, lamps, candlesticks or just old scrap. I love reusing things.

Next will be the cage/blade support. The photo at the end it basically the direction Im heading in.
    Attached Images Attached Images Steam Engine Desk Fan-dsc06092-jpg  Steam Engine Desk Fan-dsc06091-jpg  Steam Engine Desk Fan-dsc06093-jpg  Steam Engine Desk Fan-dsc06094-jpg  Steam Engine Desk Fan-dsc06095-jpg  Steam Engine Desk Fan-bild120a-jpg 
    Last edited by ScaleMotorcars; 08-16-10 at 02:42 PM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #1

2. gbritnell's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    George
    What is the model steam engine in the last picture? It sure is an elegant looking machine.
    I'd like to build something like that.
    gbritnell
    QUOTE QUOTE #2