Close

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
      Builder Last Online: Jan 2021 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  Thanks: 1
      Started: 08-02-14 Build Revisions: Never  
      Supported Restoration Attribution Build in Progress

What happened to this rare and highly prized scale model?
      Abandoned... 1/8 Scale 00 Ferrari FXX Prototype by AMALGAM Models-img_8998-jpg
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. ScaleMotorcars's Avatar Administrator
    Name
    Daniel
    Allot of you know I sell online full time and to get all those cool doodads I spend allot of time buying at auctions and shopping thrift stores. So yesterday I was making my normal rounds and what should I find but what appears to be a very rare 1/8 scale Ferrari Fxx built by Amalgam models.

What!!! Who in the hell donates a $7000 model to the local thrift? Now I'm not going to tell you what I paid for it but lets just say it wasn't much.

So now what?

First. Authentication. After that it needs some love. It looks like someone pulled it off the base and let a 3 year old play with it for a few weeks. The center fin is completely gone along with the windshield wiper and parts of the side windows. Thank goodness I have a few of the parts. After that some cleaning and a bit of wax before its off to the auction floor.

If anyone has connections at Amalgam I sure could use a few parts and a confirmation that they actually did build it.

Abandoned... 1/8 Scale 00 Ferrari FXX Prototype by AMALGAM Models
    Attached Images Attached Images Abandoned... 1/8 Scale 00 Ferrari FXX Prototype by AMALGAM Models-img_9025-jpg 
    Last edited by ScaleMotorcars; 08-02-14 at 09:56 PM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #2

2. Egon's Avatar Moderator
    Name
    egon
    What a luckey find and cheap, could you hold the face until you got out of the store
    Maby from a houseclearing or a storeauktion.

I understand they do not open any doors or hoods, could it be your new project.

http://www.diecast.org/diecast98/htm.../reviewpix.htm
    Last edited by Egon; 08-03-14 at 08:21 AM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #3

3. da_ashman's Avatar Member
    Name
    Ashley
    WOW!!! Lucky find!!! Some people have more money than sence, letting a toddler play with a $7K model....[color=red]*[/color][color=red]*[/color][color=red]*[/color]
    QUOTE QUOTE #4

4. ScaleMotorcars's Avatar Administrator
    Name
    Daniel
    Not a new project but what I do best, I guess. More of a mild restoration before putting it up for sale. I just cant justify having a $7000 model when I've got kids to home school. AND, I would also like to put a few $$$ aside for a real toy like a 30's classic. (dreaming)

QUOTE QUOTE #5

5. ScaleMotorcars's Avatar Administrator
    Name
    Daniel
    A few more pics of the back and the current condition of the paint. I've done absolutely nothing so far to clean it up.

Abandoned... 1/8 Scale 00 Ferrari FXX Prototype by AMALGAM Models-img_9011-jpgAbandoned... 1/8 Scale 00 Ferrari FXX Prototype by AMALGAM Models-img_9012-jpgAbandoned... 1/8 Scale 00 Ferrari FXX Prototype by AMALGAM Models-img_9015-jpg

QUOTE QUOTE #6

6. roymattblack's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    roy
    You can check if it's Amalgam.

The overall look is a bit 'chunky' for an Amalgam - a friend has two.
    The paint finish looks way too thick and some of the detail such as the exhaust tips look toy-ish, but that might just be due to the 'grubby' state of the model.
    It's certainly a brilliant find though, but a few emailed pics to Amalgam will confirm.
    They are also ace at customer service such as replacement parts if explain you were 'given' it in a poor state.

Roy.
    Last edited by roymattblack; 08-05-14 at 05:46 AM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #7

7. sjordan's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Skip
    The detail looks somewhat different from the regular red Amalgam version. This is a Michael Schumacher version, which I couldn't find on the Amalgam site, but they will build with custom livery.

http://finemodelcars.com/hi-res/gall...ari_fxxevo.php

[deleted for redundancy]

Looks like the livery on this 1/18 diecast.

http://www.modellautoshop.ch/en/1-18...cher-1-18.html
    Last edited by sjordan; 08-05-14 at 11:44 AM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #8

8. ScaleMotorcars's Avatar Administrator
    Name
    Daniel
    The pics show it exactly as pulled from the toy shelf at the thrift shop and why the paint looks like crap. I took pics of it exactly as found kind of like the Bugatti Atalante someone found in a garage that if I remember correctly was sold to auction with all that dirt still in place. In the antiques trade that would be called a patina.

So not to gloat or anything like that but if you consider models and the normal prices they bring that would translate to a very similar situation.

Next step is authentication. Then a sympathetic restoration. Ill fix the most obvious problems then off to the auction it goes.

It would be nice to keep it but I'm going through serious withdrawals and desperately need a full sized hot Abandoned... 1/8 Scale 00 Ferrari FXX Prototype by AMALGAM Models rod. Its going on 10 years without a toy I can actually drive. Thats not good, not good at all.

QUOTE QUOTE #9

9. Dougritt's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Douglas
    Amazing find...well done!
    QUOTE QUOTE #10

10. roymattblack's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    roy
    It would be nice to keep it but I'm going through serious withdrawals and desperately need a full sized hot Abandoned... 1/8 Scale 00 Ferrari FXX Prototype by AMALGAM Models rod. Its going on 10 years without a toy I can actually drive. Thats not good, not good at all. [/QUOTE]

I completely sympathise.

I recently had my 'mid life crisis' and had my XK8 wrapper in Gulf colours, raceline wheels and sorted brakes/calipers.....

Abandoned... 1/8 Scale 00 Ferrari FXX Prototype by AMALGAM Models-p1010083-jpg
    Abandoned... 1/8 Scale 00 Ferrari FXX Prototype by AMALGAM Models-p1010085-jpg
    Abandoned... 1/8 Scale 00 Ferrari FXX Prototype by AMALGAM Models-p1010080-jpg
    QUOTE QUOTE #11

11. ScaleMotorcars's Avatar Administrator
    Name
    Daniel
    Thats awesome. The Porsche 917 Gulf is one of my favorite race cars of all time.

Last edited by ScaleMotorcars; 08-21-14 at 12:36 PM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #12

12. ScaleMotorcars's Avatar Administrator
    Name
    Daniel
    Hoping to start soon. Had to deal with a retarded hosting company and my regular 9-5 but things are cleaning up. Ill keep you guys posted.

QUOTE QUOTE #13

13. Egon's Avatar Moderator
    Name
    egon
    Update please, what, how, where, any progressssss, sold ?
    QUOTE QUOTE #14

14. ScaleMotorcars's Avatar Administrator
    Name
    Daniel
    No Ive been swamped with my 9to5 so no progress at all. Still sitting on a shelf just waiting...

First thing I need to do is get it authenticated and if Amalgam has any of the small parts its missing.

QUOTE QUOTE #15