Close

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
      Builder Last Online: Aug 2020 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  Thanks: 0
      Started: 07-10-20 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported Restoration Scratch Built

Inspired by some nice work on this site and other places recently, I rescued a couple of long-forgotten very old, very sad Pocher kits from my mothers house.

They were both built very badly by an incompetent idiot. I know this to be true, as the builder was a younger version of me, to the tune of about 25 years.

anyhow, the items in question are a mostly completed Mercedes 540 and the Ferrari F-40 engine I'm currently rambling on about.

The Mercedes is parked for now.

So to the F-40 motor.

Having recently finished my MFH Brough Superior, I've been a bit spoiled regarding what a decent multimedia Ferrari F-40 engine scratchbuild kit can look like in 2020. I also had a look at sourcing an autograph F-40 engine transkit with little success, plus I'm not really willing to pay the crazy money the last few in the world would command.

So bearing those two things in mind, I set about the old motor, which looked a bit like this when I started

Pretty grim.

So having striped it down and removed all the paint and other goo, standby for some modelling heresy - Pocher models are a bit rubbish. OK, actually really rubbish IMHO. there, I said it.

OK so I know I'm looking at this with through modern eyes, but I never understood what they were supposed to be even at the time - expensive, terrible fit, often inappropriate materials, screw together, easy assembly, not intended to be painted in some cases, so I don't believe they were ever actually aimed at modellers.

I was planning on replacing some of the worst bits with various scratch-built and turned items. To cut a long story short, apart from maybe the gearbox, it's all the worst bits.

So I rolled my sleeves up and got stuck in with something 'easy' to start with. I give you the Delco Remy 105A Alternator as fitted to the venerable Ferrari F40.

So armed with my trusty PC, iPad pro, apple pencil, shapr3D, fusion 360, resin printer, and mini lathe I set forth.

So far so good. A steep learning curve involving CAD and resin printing supports then ensued.

Some time later...

Add primer ...

And finally paint ...

Compared to the Pocher part ...

So although this is one small piece, it does prove my workflow which is now repeatable for the rest of it. I've learnt a load of new skills including CAD and how to get good results from my cheap little resin Ferrari F-40 engine scratchbuild printer. Which BTW I'm absolutely delighted with (Elegoo Mars) if you want to google it.

This is my new go-to modelling tool.

Thanks for looking.

Regards,

Nick
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Very exciting! Nothing but potential!

Thank you for posting!
    -craftsmanship is a lifelong project of
    self-construction and self determination
    QUOTE QUOTE #2

2. nickedw's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Nick
    Been working on the CAD drawings for the valve covers today, heres a render of a partially complete one from fusion 360

And first test print, not a great success to be honest

Regards,

Nick

Ferrari F-40 engine scratchbuild
    QUOTE QUOTE #3

3. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Ok? So what's not right? -Looks pretty good.

How long to do the modeling? How long to print?

If you don't mind me asking?
    QUOTE QUOTE #4

4. nickedw's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Nick
    The material on the ends is too thin and poorly supported, so warped slightly.

The drawing/modelling part took about half a day (as I'm learning as I go along) if I did it again, probably a couple of hours and I'm speeding up all the time.

I'm discovering it's all about getting your head round how solid object modelling works - conceptually you can add and take away complex shapes, so both build and cut with same shapes and tools as well as extruding, rotating, lofting etc.

in this example I just made whats called a sketch, effectively a a very simple 2D plan view looking straight down on the valve cover, so all the bolt islands, outer shape, inner shape, plug wells - just circles and straight lines, no curves, chamfers etc at this stage. Then just extruded that to the 3 or 4 different heights needed.

After that its a really simple matter to set chamfers on all the joins and edges to get the nice curves and blends

Its probably easier to see how its drawn in this view

ironically the shapes I though I wouldn't be able to reproduce turn out to some of the easiest now I understand a bit more.

Printing is pretty quick - about an hour, because the item isn't tall.

If you are used to FDM (conventional) 3D printing resin Ferrari F-40 engine scratchbuild is different in many ways. One big difference is a layer takes a set time (the exposure) regardless of how complex, busy or full it is. so the print time is just height not complexity/volume X height like it is with FDM printing.

QUOTE QUOTE #5

5. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Thanks for taking the time to explain this, -your a modeler and a gentleman!
    QUOTE QUOTE #6

6. nickedw's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Nick
    Right version 2 - much better!

Turns out that the model was ok and I just needed a few more supports at the corners.

You can see the problem here on the first version (missing corners);

And solved on v2

I forgot to mention that cleanup can be an issue with resin Ferrari F-40 engine scratchbuild , I use a bath of 99% isopropyl alcohol Ferrari F-40 engine scratchbuild and a soft toothbrush, then an ultrasound bath with water and detergent which works pretty.

Finally, experimenting with paint on one of my failed prints. The F40 heads have a crackle finish which I’ve tried to simulate by airbrushing Ferrari F-40 engine scratchbuild Mr.Surfacer from too far away so it forms tiny particles.

I don’t think I’m far off with this?

Regards,

Nick

QUOTE QUOTE #7

7. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Looks pretty convincing, -the nice thing about engines, is that the appearance of the whole, lends strength to the appearance of any one part. (But of course you don't want a part to be awful, and distract from the other components and assemblies.)

"Officially", your part looks fine!

Thank you for sharing!
    QUOTE QUOTE #8

8. nickedw's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Nick
    Still playing around with finishes and made a start on the CAD for the heads and block now

Regards,

Nick

QUOTE QUOTE #9

9. nickedw's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Nick
    Well underway with the first cylinder head CAD drawing now, printing soon!

Thanks for looking

Nick

QUOTE QUOTE #10

10. nickedw's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Nick
    Well I’ve learnt a lot about solid modelling this week, especially the importance of outside in vs inside out at the early stages of a project (I picked the wrong one needless to say)

anyway, got a workable model of the RH cylinder head now.

if anyone is interested you can see it in all its 3D glory here:-
    https://skfb.ly/6TQFI

more importantly, I’ve tamed my printer/support setup - this came off first time, about 2 1/2 hours to print at 0.5mm layer height

needs more cleanup, but not a bad start

thanks for looking

Nick

Last edited by nickedw; 07-18-20 at 02:08 AM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #11

11. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Wonderful!

This is a much needed look into 21st century model making!

-a day later, I've clicked onto the link you've provided! And, if anyone, any of the "older" set, is not sure of the potential, then they should look into this site as well.

I believe that virtual modeling IS modeling, just virtual. All the research to make something accurate. Some of the "guessing" to make parts look correct. -A different set of skills for certain, but it is modeling, and as useful an occupation as modeling has ever been.

And with software being available by "subscription" , now, more available than ever before!

Again thanks! I hope your work inspires some to consider the CAD alternative.
    Last edited by MODEL A MODEL; 07-18-20 at 11:16 AM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #12

12. nickedw's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Nick
    Thanks for your kind words and interest.

What you say about virtual modelling is quite right, although it’s been around longer than you might think.

The real game changer is the £/$200 price breakthrough of resin Ferrari F-40 engine scratchbuild printers that allow us to near-perfectly translate the models into physical form.

I’ve dabbled with ‘traditional’ extrusion printers in the past and they just aren’t capable of getting anywhere resin Ferrari F-40 engine scratchbuild .

Honestly I don’t think I would go the effort of just virtually modelling, some people do and all credit to them. My motivation is using it as a modelling tool for ultimately making physical models.

It’s the idea of getting something out of your head and into your hand with practically nothing in between.

If that isn’t the model builders dream I don’t know what is.

Last edited by nickedw; 07-18-20 at 03:53 PM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #13

13. nickedw's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Nick
    Experimenting with different paint finishes now

I think I prefer the smoother one? Although thinking about it, maybe a hybrid is the answer, so mask off the machined faces and apply texture, remove masks and apply colour? Or I may look into texturing the surfaces on the model before printing.

Not entirely happy with either really.

regards

Nick

QUOTE QUOTE #14

14. nickedw's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Nick
    Finished both cylinder banks completely now and starting on the block.

Here are the latest renders as the the heads and valve covers print:-

regards,

Nick

QUOTE QUOTE #15