Close

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
      Builder Last Online: Sep 2020 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  (1 votes - 5.00 average) Thanks: 1
      Started: 07-10-20 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported Restoration Scratch Built

Inspired by some nice work on this site and other places recently, I rescued a couple of long-forgotten very old, very sad Pocher kits from my mothers house.

They were both built very badly by an incompetent idiot. I know this to be true, as the builder was a younger version of me, to the tune of about 25 years.

anyhow, the items in question are a mostly completed Mercedes 540 and the Ferrari F-40 engine I'm currently rambling on about.

The Mercedes is parked for now.

So to the F-40 motor.

Having recently finished my MFH Brough Superior, I've been a bit spoiled regarding what a decent multimedia Ferrari F-40 engine scratchbuild kit can look like in 2020. I also had a look at sourcing an autograph F-40 engine transkit with little success, plus I'm not really willing to pay the crazy money the last few in the world would command.

So bearing those two things in mind, I set about the old motor, which looked a bit like this when I started

Pretty grim.

So having striped it down and removed all the paint and other goo, standby for some modelling heresy - Pocher models are a bit rubbish. OK, actually really rubbish IMHO. there, I said it.

OK so I know I'm looking at this with through modern eyes, but I never understood what they were supposed to be even at the time - expensive, terrible fit, often inappropriate materials, screw together, easy assembly, not intended to be painted in some cases, so I don't believe they were ever actually aimed at modellers.

I was planning on replacing some of the worst bits with various scratch-built and turned items. To cut a long story short, apart from maybe the gearbox, it's all the worst bits.

So I rolled my sleeves up and got stuck in with something 'easy' to start with. I give you the Delco Remy 105A Alternator as fitted to the venerable Ferrari F40.

So armed with my trusty PC, iPad pro, apple pencil, shapr3D, fusion 360, resin printer, and mini lathe I set forth.

So far so good. A steep learning curve involving CAD and resin printing supports then ensued.

Some time later...

Add primer ...

And finally paint ...

Compared to the Pocher part ...

So although this is one small piece, it does prove my workflow which is now repeatable for the rest of it. I've learnt a load of new skills including CAD and how to get good results from my cheap little resin Ferrari F-40 engine scratchbuild printer. Which BTW I'm absolutely delighted with (Elegoo Mars) if you want to google it.

This is my new go-to modelling tool.

Thanks for looking.

Regards,

Nick

Ferrari F-40 engine scratchbuild
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Beautifully made! Your craftsmanship knows no borders!

Water cooled! Water should be "Water", as I'm sure it's some form of glycol?

No, I must source for myself, and my time-frame / budget. -But it is good to have goals outside of my comfort zone. Never too old!

Thank you for your response, and for sharing such enticing images alongside your work! -and you should consider publishing after this build is over. MAKER magazine? Some platform that might reach creative types on the "Virtual Side" and bring them over to the physical?

Thanks again! -Don
    -craftsmanship is a lifelong project of
    self-construction and self determination
    QUOTE QUOTE #62

2. nickedw's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Nick
    Completed the flywheel and clutch assembly, Just the air-con compressor and a few more bits to add to the CAD drawing then it's done.

so I have started my 'production' print run at high quality 20 micron layer height

fairly pleased with the block:-

This is 'naked resin Ferrari F-40 engine scratchbuild ' the detail pops even more in primer Ferrari F-40 engine scratchbuild , but I've learnt I don't need it and get better results with metallic Ferrari F-40 engine scratchbuild paints without it.

Lots of printing underway as I'm going for a fresh copy of everything as I tweaked many elements of the CAD to complete it.

SO I learnt to wait until I finished everything before printing, tempting as it was to run things off as I drew them, it's very wasteful.

As you draw seemingly innocent things like the waterpump for example, as it's basically round, the pickup points on the block are 'non-negotiable' so this highlighted errors in my block geometry that I had to rework.

Lots of things like that!

Anyway, thanks for looking

Nick

Last edited by nickedw; 09-06-20 at 06:56 PM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #63

3. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    As much time as this took you to create? -it would be a nightmare to fabricate any other way! -and a lot longer!!

Printing a part like this allows for great undercuts, and die-lock situations. Conventional methods would be quite different, requiring multiple divisions of "your" whole reduced to a right side, left side, front, and back?

Gluing Ferrari F-40 engine scratchbuild up plastic sheet stock, not so bad, but to solder up this block, would be "fun"
    Last edited by MODEL A MODEL; 09-06-20 at 11:53 AM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #64

4. nickedw's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Nick
    Quote Originally Posted by MODEL A MODEL View Post
    As much time as this took you to create? -it would be a nightmare to fabricate any other way! -and a lot longer!!

Printing a part like this allows for great undercuts, and die-lock situations. Conventional methods would be quite different, requiring multiple divisions of "your" whole reduced to a right side, left side, front, and back?

Gluing Ferrari F-40 engine scratchbuild up plastic sheet stock, not so bad, but to solder up this block, would be "fun"
    The component where printing really came into its own for me, was the centre plenum;

I’m assuming the full-sized version is a lost wax casting Ferrari F-40 engine scratchbuild or similar. This would be almost impossible to model conventional and certainly mass produce as a single piece.

This is a test print, the current version is more refined, but you get the idea.

Also remember the time I spent on CAD is Reusable so I can print these at will, with no further effort as required. That’s the game changing difference with this technology - we’ve all damaged, broken or ruined the paint of something we spent hours scratch building, only to have to start again.

All the time spent with this approach is ‘banked’ in effect.

A full block does take 7 hours to print and costs under 」1 in resin Ferrari F-40 engine scratchbuild . So I just go to bed and have one waiting for me in the morning.

Regards

Nick

QUOTE QUOTE #65

5. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Your so right!

Not only could you print up a replacement part were something to go awry, you could also, just as easily, change scales!
    Last edited by MODEL A MODEL; 09-07-20 at 05:54 PM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #66

6. nickedw's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Nick
    Here’s the first print of the water pump

Nick

QUOTE QUOTE #67

7. Scott H.'s Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Scott
    Are you planning on making this into a production kit for selling to the people who drool over your post everyday?
    QUOTE QUOTE #68

8. nickedw's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Nick
    Got a lot done today:-

Regards,

Nick

QUOTE QUOTE #69

9. nickedw's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Nick
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott H. View Post
    Are you planning on making this into a production kit for selling to the people who drool over your post everyday?
    Thanks for the compliment.

I haven't decided yet. I'm working on batching up the prints to see how reliably and quickly I could print off a kit

So far it's going well:-

I am aiming to get to around 5 or 6 very full build plates like this for a complete kit with spares.

Also I've just invested in an automated wash and curing Ferrari F-40 engine scratchbuild station which will be key to making lots of these things.

I'm not sure how much uptake or interest there would be for something like this anyway, I guess it's very niche!

I'll let you know when I finish and if I can make it work!

Regards,

Nick

QUOTE QUOTE #70

10. nickedw's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Nick

QUOTE QUOTE #71

11. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Hello, besides the F-40? -have you done anything else? With only a few exceptions my interests are 1967 and earlier.

And. And would you be able to accommodate those poor folks who work in other scales?
    QUOTE QUOTE #72

12. nickedw's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Nick
    Hello, besides the F-40? -have you done anything else? With only a few exceptions my interests are 1967 and earlier.

And. And would you be able to accommodate those poor folks who work in other scales?
    This is my first outing with this technology, I've built plenty of conventional models of course that fit your criteria :)

I think my next project will be an aeroengine actually TBD.

I Have a Pocher Mercedes 540 that I will be looking at too at some point.

It should be easy to change scale with this process as you suggest, so the world is my lobster as they say.

Watch this space!

Regards,

Nick

Last edited by nickedw; 09-10-20 at 02:17 AM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #73

13. nickedw's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Nick
    Clutch and flywheel

Regards

Nick

QUOTE QUOTE #74

14. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Yes I love the Brough!

Are you thinking Merlin?

A favorite of mine has always been the Napier - Heston racer. I can't remember the engine at this time, but it was a monster!

Ferrari F-40 engine scratchbuild-napier-heston-type-5-racer-afok-crash-9905309-jpg
    Last edited by MODEL A MODEL; 09-12-20 at 12:10 AM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #75

15. nickedw's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Nick
    Yes I love the Brough!

Are you thinking Merlin?

A favorite of mine has always been the Napier - Heston racer. I can't remember the engine at this time, but it was a monster!

Ferrari F-40 engine scratchbuild-napier-heston-type-5-racer-afok-crash-9905309-jpg
    I see you like your obscure aircraft - impressive.

The Heston was the first outing for then prototype Napier sabre that was subsequently fitted in the typhoon and tempest. As you say a monster.

If you fancy a treat take a look here

http://modelenginenews.org/gallery/c...gle/index.html

Not the best website, but the subject matter is something else.

I have a list of 3 candidates

P&W R-2800 double wasp, Bristol Hercules (another sleeve valve like the Napier, only air cooled) and of course Merlin.

I’m hankering air-cooled as it will print really well and is extremely difficult to model conventionally due to all the curvy fins.

And of course the Obvious appeal of the Hercules timing gears

Haven’t decided yet.

Regards

Nick

QUOTE QUOTE #76