Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
      Builder Last Online: Nov 2020 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/12 Rating:  Thanks: 0
      Started: 10-31-17 Build Revisions: Never  
      Supported Attribution Scratch Built

This is going to be fun!!! I do not have too much information on this car. (And I don't want it, so even if you have the original blue-prints . . . )
      I think that I will make a paper model (Cardboard is in the paper family), make a plastic model, and brass. All will be in 1/12th scale.

I hope to have fun and learn or re-learn some techniques!

I wasn't sure where to post this thread? It seems exotic?

-Don

1923 voisin laboratoire
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Don, this is the translation from the second text. The first one is too small, I cannot read it.

Extraordinary slim, the 1500 cc used for speed records which name was “razor blade”, had a power of 80 hp @ 4450 RPM. The 4-cylinder engine, without valves, had 3 carbs and allowed a top speed of 200 km per hour. As you can see on the drawing, the driver had his legs through the steering wheel; the transmission lever and emergency brake were located between his legs.
    QUOTE QUOTE #17

2. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Thank you Roger!

What do you think of the design?

1923 voisin laboratoire
    -craftsmanship is a lifelong project of
    self-construction and self determination
    QUOTE QUOTE #18

3. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    The front view or radiator surround is fantastic; the steering wheel design is interesting, but not for the driver!
    QUOTE QUOTE #19

4. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    And? A picture of the front leaf springs, with something "sandwiched" in between the leaves?

1923 voisin laboratoire-kjew90r-2-jpeg

1923 voisin laboratoire
    QUOTE QUOTE #20

5. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Spring which is self-amortizing in both directions, eliminating the conventional shock absorbers. Thin steel bands (A) were installed between each leaf, allowing for smoother movement and/or friction. The self-amortizing effect was obtained with the small adjustable coil springs (B). On the picture, you can see the generator/starter motor located directly at the end of the crankshaft.
    QUOTE QUOTE #21

6. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Thank you Roger!

Beautiful sheet metal work on the body. I wish I knew how it was made. I see recessed lines that follow along much like wooden planking might, and it might just be that? Aluminum clad planks? -but the seems are not continuous? So I wonder if they are not decorative / functional? -giving some rigidity to those body panels?

1923 voisin laboratoire
    QUOTE QUOTE #22

7. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    The driver who had died driving one of these cars was Marius Breton. He was also the designer of the cars, and was the impetus for Panhard's returning to racing. One of the oldest of the car companies, they had been involved in the early racing scene, but had pulled out after a fatal accident. -and now with the death of Mr. Breton, the designer, overseer of the construction of the racing cars, and the one person most responsible for Panhard's participation in racing, his death meant cancellation of any other immediate races, and certainly company sponsored racing for a while.

1923 voisin laboratoire-marius-breton-jpg

Mr. Breton died while driving at Montlhery, when a tire failed and he and the car crashed, crushing him.

1923 voisin laboratoire
    Last edited by MODEL A MODEL; 10-07-20 at 10:59 AM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #23

8. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Sad story; there were a lot at that time.
    QUOTE QUOTE #24

9. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Knowing how small that cockpit is, and the unusual posture of the driver, one can see how difficult getting in or out would be!

Addendum; I have just received a copy of MODEL CARS, March 1968, within which is a short article about these cars.

I guess Ms. Breton was very much the Tim Birkin of France. He and a Ms. Ortmans were testing the cars. Four cars were made, two had 1 1/2 litre engines, two had 5 litre.

Of note is the front axle set low, lowering the CG, I assume.

The front brakes are completely contained within the wheel discs, and the rear brakes were inside the body of the cars, -differential brakes. Cooling wasn't a consideration?

Springs were contained in the frame. -all this must have been done to reduce atmospheric drag? Presenting as clean a design as possible. Notice the low set of the drivers location, -he is sitting just above the chassis rails, or within them! These cars were intended to be record breaking cars. Not really racers.

And again, notice the unique steering wheel! A large hoop attached to a ring gear, through which the driver's legs actuated the usual pedals. Very strange!

And most obvious, the beautiful forming of the body shell. -of polished Aluminum, set onto planking? The appearance giving rise to the "Razor Blade" nick-name.

The engineer most responsible for theses design innovations was a Ms. Bionier.

With the death of Marius Breton, Ortmans was ordered to terminate further trials. The remainder of the cars were probably destroyed by 1940, and the 5 litre engines, or at least one of them was thought to have remained in the factory till 1955.

The estimated speed that Marius Breton had achieved at the time of the accident was 230 kph! 142 mph!

1923 voisin laboratoire
    Last edited by MODEL A MODEL; 10-10-20 at 04:18 PM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #25

10. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Some more pictures of an unusual car.

1923 voisin laboratoire-lame-rasoir-biellette-direction-3-jpg

1923 voisin laboratoire-zd6sxyn-2-jpg

1923 voisin laboratoire-nm3dtct-jpg

1923 voisin laboratoire
    QUOTE QUOTE #26

11. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    With the springs installed within the body, this had a major inconvenient: the axles were not very well guided. Who knows, this was maybe the reason of the accident at this fantastic speed for that time.
    QUOTE QUOTE #27

12. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Very probably!

Also, tires were often the weakest link during these "early days." Many manufacturers were able to build engines and drive-trains that just tore the tires apart!

So many of the engineers and designers were working intuitively, and in some instances making decisions based on an aesthetic sense rather than on good mechanics, or material choices!

Have you ever seen the films made of how much deformation tires go through when taken to very high rpm? Its amazing!

1923 voisin laboratoire
    QUOTE QUOTE #28

13. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    1923 voisin laboratoire-img_7867-3-jpg

1923 voisin laboratoire
    QUOTE QUOTE #29