Close

Road Train repair
Goal amount for this year: 518 USD, Received: 415.00 USD (80%)
Scalemotorcars is a free and open community devoted to scale modeling. The heart and soul of Scalemotorcars is our global community of over 10,000+ contributors, millions of readers, and donors like yourself Ė all united to share unlimited access to reliable information. Your donations keep Scalemotorcars freely available to everyone.

This years bandwidth costs, hosting service, domain registration, software licensing fees, and maintenance cost have a balance of $518 due by the end of August, (extended to the end of Septembers). Please help us keep Scalemotorcars growing by making a donation today.
Thank you.

Road Train repair Road Train repair Road Train repair Road Train repair Road Train repair
Accepted Payment Types

Builder Last Online: May 2019 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  Thanks: 0
      Started: 03-30-13 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

This is not a diorama but I guess this is the best place I can show it.

A good friend of mine purchased these 1/32[SUP]nd[/SUP] scale die cast and plastic models from a truck stop a few years ago. This road train is actually made from two trucks. They come ready made in the box as a B-Double (truck; A trailer; B trailer). He bought two, cut the rear end off one of the trucks and turned it into a dolly to make a road train.

Recently, during a bit of a party and a few rums and bourbons, there was an accident. The rig left the shelf at full speed, crashed down the wall and self-destructed all over the floor. He was about to throw the whole thing in the rubbish bin but I caught him just in time to say ďDonít you dare send it to the wrecking yard! I can fix that in my repair department!Ē Most of the repairs were just putting it all back together but the second trailer was badly smashed up and I had to perform reconstructive surgery on the roof, rear doors and right side wall. The little rig came through the operation quite well and now the only sign of any damage are a few tears in the stickers on the side of the reconstructed trailer.

I didnít take any photos before or during the process, only after full recovery. What you see here on the table measures 1.6 metres long.

This is what Iíve been doing since my last post in the motocross diorama (2/27/13), and I found that I was getting a little bored with that dio anyway. Now that this truck is all fixed and ready to be returned to its owner I donít feel like working on the dio, so Iíve temporarily pushed it aside for a while. But I will get back to it when the urge returns. Now I feel like building another truck but I donít know which one and Iíve got plenty to choose from. Maybe I should go for a ride to clear the head.

Build Photos

Road Train repair-20-jpg  Road Train repair-21-quad-jpg  Road Train repair-22-jpg  Road Train repair-28-quad-jpg 

Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. chassisdude's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Michael
    Well man...You really are the doctor in Dr.Dave.. From the photos looks like it made a full recovery..And 1/32 scale to boot ....small stuff.. Make sure the parking brakes are applied this time ..no more cliff diving episodes
    I have done so much, With so little, for so long, I can do anything with nothing...
    QUOTE QUOTE #2

2. gigglingmonkey's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Mick
    Really cool model, just like a real one except for the ROAD TRAIN signs front and rear.

love it
    mick
    don't follow me, I'm making it up as I go
    QUOTE QUOTE #3

3. Dr Dave's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    David
    Quote Originally Posted by gigglingmonkey View Post
    Really cool model, just like a real one except for the ROAD TRAIN signs front and rear.

love it
    mick
    Thanks Mick. I'm not going to put ROAD TRAIN signs on it. I'm saving them for my own models later.
    If we don't take it out on the road the transport inspectors won't catch us
    QUOTE QUOTE #4

4. Dr Dave's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    David
    Quote Originally Posted by chassisdude View Post
    Well man...You really are the doctor in Dr.Dave. From the photos looks like it made a full recovery..And 1/32 scale to boot ....small stuff.. Make sure the parking brakes are applied this time ..no more cliff diving episodes
    Thanks Michael. I'll have a go fixing just about anything. I had to repair a plane for my (real) doctor before Christmas. He was so pleased with the result I got a few free visits in return.

We've all learnt a lesson from this crash= Don't drink and drive. Next time we'll park in the proper parking bay .

Lucky it's a tuff little rig. When a few of us truck drivers get together for a drink or three we get the rig down on the floor and have reversing competitions, and we change trailer configurations to make it harder. Before too long it just gets tied up in knots
    Last edited by Dr Dave; 03-31-13 at 12:31 AM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #5

5. Dr Dave's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    David
    There are only a few slight signs of the repairs. In the first two photos you might be able to see the difference in the two roofs. Photo1: the original roof is more like semi gloss and the reflection of the light is nice and round. Photo 2: the patched up roof is glossier due to the gloss paint I used and the reflection of the light is a bit wobbly due to all the joined pieces. It was like putting humpty dumpty back together again. Photo 3: the turn table from the first A-trailer was lost so I replaced it with a 1/25th scale one from my spare parts box. There's a big difference in size but it will do job ok. Photo 4: the tear in the side wall sticker is visible and where the wall meets the roof is a bit shabby.

This particular combination with four trailers (two B-doubles with a dolly in the middle) is commonly known here as a Quad. A transport company just around the corner from where I work runs this combination up to Darwin regularly. They measure 54 metres and weigh 120 tonnes.
    Attached Images Attached Images Road Train repair-original-roof-light-reflection-smooth-jpg  Road Train repair-repaired-roof-light-reflection-wobbly-jpg  Road Train repair-1-32nd-turntable-1-25th-turntable-jpg  Road Train repair-tear-sticker-jpg 
    Last edited by Dr Dave; 03-31-13 at 03:42 AM. Reason: added info
    QUOTE QUOTE #6