Close

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
      Builder Last Online: Dec 2019 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  Thanks: 0
      Started: 01-03-13 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

Hello everyone.

Well the diorama bug has certainly bitten hard here at my place. It seems that I canít build a model now without scenery for it to go in.
      This one is going to be a 1/12[SUP]th[/SUP] scale Motocross scene with 3 bikes, 2 riders, and 2 bales of hay on a dirt curve. I canít make the base until all the models are done so that I can position them to calculate the size that the base needs to be. I donít want to make it too big or too small.

The idea started a couple of years ago when I was given a box of 4 assorted pre-built bike models in very poor condition, 2x 1/12[SUP]th[/SUP] dirt bikes and 1x 1/12[SUP]th[/SUP] & 1x 1/16[SUP]th[/SUP] road bikes. I had been checking out on ebay a KTM with rider, so naturally the thought hit me straight away. I eventually got a KTM with rider and also Tamiya 1/12th scale Motocross scene. ís Jumping Rider figure for the Suzuki, while the Yamaha will be unmanned, a little bent, and leaning on a couple of hay bales.

At the rate that I pump out completed models, Iíll be lucky to have this one done by next Christmas. I actually started this a few months ago but haven't done a lot in that time.

Build Photos

1/12th scale Motocross scene.-imgp6274-jpg  1/12th scale Motocross scene.-imgp6275-jpg  1/12th scale Motocross scene.-imgp5960-jpg  1/12th scale Motocross scene.-imgp5962-jpg 

Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. Dr Dave's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    David
    The 2 models I was given are both 1/12[SUP]th[/SUP] Revell 1/12th scale Motocross scene. kits, a Suzuki MT 400 and a Yamaha MX 250. The Yamaha had a lot of parts broken off but was complete, while the Suzuki only had a broken handle bar. Both bikes will be fully dismantled and rebuilt without all the ultra-fine detailing, only basic detailing will be done as all 3 bikes will be covered in mud and dust which would hide fine details. The KTM was a cheap ebay buy as it had been started, the frame and engine assembled and painted, which is not an issue at all.

The Yamaha was the starting point. I only meant to have a look at the bits and pieces to work out how I was going to approach the rebuild. Next thing I know, Iíve pulled it all apart and started the clean-up, glued a few things and got out some paint and brushes. I didnít think that was part of having a look, but at least Iíd made a start.
    Attached Images Attached Images 1/12th scale Motocross scene.-bike-bag-002-jpg  1/12th scale Motocross scene.-bike-bag-006-yamaha-mx-250-1973-starting-wreck-004-jpg  1/12th scale Motocross scene.-bike-bag-007-jpg  1/12th scale Motocross scene.-bike-bag-010-suzuki-mx-400-jpg 
    QUOTE QUOTE #2

2. Dr Dave's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    David
    After doing a bit of work to the Yamaha I could no longer resist the urge to start on the figure, especially after doing the Biker Chick and then hanging out to do another figure. I fixed up his fingers a little by cutting 2/3[SUP]rd[/SUP] through the inside of the joints and bending them gently. The right fingers were bent in to grip the throttle better and the left 1[SUP]st[/SUP] and 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] fingers were bent out and a wedge glued into the gap so they rest on the clutch lever while the 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] and 4[SUP]th[/SUP] fingers were bent in to hold the grip. Right now I only have to finish off his face and helmet and he will be at the point where only his arms need to be attached to finish him off, and that canít be done until his bike is ready to ride so the arms can be positioned correctly to meet the handle bars.
    Attached Images Attached Images 1/12th scale Motocross scene.-hand-1-jpg  1/12th scale Motocross scene.-hand-3-jpg  1/12th scale Motocross scene.-hand-4-jpg  1/12th scale Motocross scene.-left-hand-1-jpg  1/12th scale Motocross scene.-left-hand-2-jpg  1/12th scale Motocross scene.-left-hand-4-jpg 
    QUOTE QUOTE #3

3. Dr Dave's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    David
    While working on this guy I've found a great way to fill and cover gaps. I usually use Tamiya 1/12th scale Motocross scene. grey putty 1/12th scale Motocross scene. to fill gaps and then when it's set hard, sand 1/12th scale Motocross scene. it smooth. I can always see the edge of the putty 1/12th scale Motocross scene. under the 1[SUP]st[/SUP] coat of primer 1/12th scale Motocross scene. so it takes a few coats and sandings to get it right. Iíve been using this new M.E.K. liquid glue and thought Iíd run a bit over the putty 1/12th scale Motocross scene. after it had started to dry, just to see if it would smooth out better. As both products are made for styrene 1/12th scale Motocross scene. it worked extremely well. I just brushed the glue up and down a few times and the putty 1/12th scale Motocross scene. went soft and moved into the right place. When it all dried I gave it a light sand 1/12th scale Motocross scene. and some primer 1/12th scale Motocross scene. , and thereís no sign of join, putty 1/12th scale Motocross scene. or anything. Itís like it was molded in one piece.
    Attached Images Attached Images 1/12th scale Motocross scene.-arms-primed-jpg  1/12th scale Motocross scene.-coat-paint-jpg  1/12th scale Motocross scene.-left-hand-5-jpg  1/12th scale Motocross scene.-left-hand-8-jpg  1/12th scale Motocross scene.-hand-5-jpg  1/12th scale Motocross scene.-hand-7-jpg  1/12th scale Motocross scene.-arms-ready-jpg 
    QUOTE QUOTE #4

4. Dr Dave's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    David
    Although the parts fit together reasonably well, some filling and smoothing is required to hide the joins. After a coat of primer 1/12th scale Motocross scene. had dried I brushed on a coat of yellow acrylic 1/12th scale Motocross scene. , which didnít cover very well at all, so itís out with the air brush for a few coats. When the yellow has dried I brush on 2 coats of the dark blue, and then with a thin long bristled brush I put on the light blue lines.
    Attached Images Attached Images 1/12th scale Motocross scene.-imgp6063-jpg  1/12th scale Motocross scene.-imgp6066-jpg  1/12th scale Motocross scene.-imgp6193-jpg  1/12th scale Motocross scene.-imgp6199-jpg  1/12th scale Motocross scene.-imgp6233-jpg  1/12th scale Motocross scene.-imgp6222-jpg  1/12th scale Motocross scene.-imgp6235-jpg  1/12th scale Motocross scene.-imgp6236-jpg  1/12th scale Motocross scene.-imgp6242-jpg  1/12th scale Motocross scene.-imgp6243-jpg 
    QUOTE QUOTE #5

5. Dr Dave's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    David
    I thought it might brighten the rider up a bit if I highlighted his boots a little around the raised shin pads but it looked horrible so itís back to black. I've made a start on the face but still have more to do yet. I'd like to give him a look of determination on his face but I'm not sure that I know how to achieve that. The visor, face guard and goggles will hide some of that.
    Attached Images Attached Images 1/12th scale Motocross scene.-imgp6253-jpg  1/12th scale Motocross scene.-imgp6257-jpg  1/12th scale Motocross scene.-imgp6300-jpg  1/12th scale Motocross scene.-imgp6302-jpg 
    QUOTE QUOTE #6

6. D-Stroke's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Rick
    Dave i like with your doing sofar. I did some diorama too all in 1/12 scale, i put all my leftover parts in it. this is one of mine.

Dave i love diorama so keep it coming, i'm looking to see more.
    QUOTE QUOTE #7

7. Dr Dave's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    David
    Thanks Rick. Your diorama is very nice with heaps of detail, I like it a lot. Why havenít you started a thread about it in here? I occasionally think about doing one like yours, Iíve got all the bits to do it, but there are too many other projects on the go to make a start.

Have you seen the dios that Ďcamwaderí has done? Theyíre 1/6[SUP]th[/SUP] scale and Jon has them in both the diorama section and the bike section. Pretty cool.

I didnít feel like doing any more to yellowmanís face, so Iíve made a start on the KTM rider. Same deal with this guy, no arms till his bike is ready. Not sure yet if I should paint him the same as the box art, mainly white, or something else. This is before KTM went to the orange and black colour scheme so he can wear any colours he feels like. Hmmm???
    Attached Images Attached Images 1/12th scale Motocross scene.-imgp6304-jpg  1/12th scale Motocross scene.-imgp6309-jpg  1/12th scale Motocross scene.-imgp6311-jpg  1/12th scale Motocross scene.-imgp6320-jpg  1/12th scale Motocross scene.-imgp6321-jpg  1/12th scale Motocross scene.-imgp6324-jpg 
    QUOTE QUOTE #8

8. Dr Dave's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    David
    Iím at the point where I canít decide on the KTM riders colours, so Iíve pushed him aside and moved on to the KTM bike for something different to do.
    As I mentioned earlier, when I got the kit it had been started but not much done. The frame was together and painted, so I just trimmed it up a bit and gave it another coat of red, and the engine was together and part painted, so it too got a clean up and a full paint job. The rear suspension showed signs of having been painted and cleaned off, so again I painted straight over it. I donít have to be careful with the paint work as everything will be covered in dirt and mud later.
    Attached Images Attached Images 1/12th scale Motocross scene.-frame-1-jpg  1/12th scale Motocross scene.-frame-3-jpg  1/12th scale Motocross scene.-engine-1-jpg  1/12th scale Motocross scene.-rear-suspension-1-jpg  1/12th scale Motocross scene.-rear-suspension-2-jpg  1/12th scale Motocross scene.-frame-9-jpg 
    QUOTE QUOTE #9

9. 3.Star's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Michael J.
    I can hear him say.."I don't bother the paint you're brushing on me, as long as you're just treating my arms with toothpicks".
    QUOTE QUOTE #10

10. Dr Dave's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    David
    Quote Originally Posted by 3.Star View Post
    I can hear him say.."I don't bother the paint you're brushing on me, as long as you're just treating my arms with toothpicks".
    Michael, Iíve stopped him complaining. I put him in a shoe box in the cupboard so we canít hear him any more.

The previous owner had pulled the rims off the sprue 1/12th scale Motocross scene. and left big broken chunky bits without trimming, then just shoved the front tyre straight on the rim. After I cleaned everything up I found that the tyre had stretched out of shape and would not fit snugly onto the rim. The only way I could make it fit was to put 2 rubber bands around the tyre to compress it without bumps or kinks onto the rim. Then I used a pin to put tiny drops of CA between the rim and tyre which now holds it in place. I've decided not to respoke any wheels as I'm hoping the dirt and mud will cover and distract from the kit spokes, which I've painted flat aluminium.
    Attached Images Attached Images 1/12th scale Motocross scene.-front-wheel-3-jpg  1/12th scale Motocross scene.-front-wheel-4-jpg  1/12th scale Motocross scene.-wheels-jpg 
    QUOTE QUOTE #11

11. Dr Dave's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    David
    The tubular part of the air filter box that goes to the carby is only half there (manufacturing design) so I used a piece of thin clear plastic to fill in the missing section. The same issue exists with the expansion chamber (fat part of exhaust pipe), hollow, with the open part facing the engine. I just can't bring myself to put it on like that. I cut up pieces of sprue 1/12th scale Motocross scene. and glued them in the hole before using Tamiya 1/12th scale Motocross scene. putty 1/12th scale Motocross scene. to finish off the right shape.
    Attached Images Attached Images 1/12th scale Motocross scene.-air-box-1-jpg  1/12th scale Motocross scene.-air-box-2-jpg  1/12th scale Motocross scene.-air-box-4-jpg  1/12th scale Motocross scene.-exhaust-pipe-filled-2-jpg  1/12th scale Motocross scene.-exhaust-pipe-filled-3-jpg 
    QUOTE QUOTE #12

12. Myrat29's Avatar Member
    Name
    Jeff
    I really like where you're going with this!! Love the figures! I had a 1:1 1/12th scale Motocross scene. TM400 once upon a time, what a beast. I still have a 74' TS400. Can't wait to see the finished scene.
    QUOTE QUOTE #13

13. Dr Dave's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    David
    Thankyou Jeff. A few years ago I nearly bought an old CR 490 but it was a bit too tall in the saddle and more power than I was comfortable with. I have a '93 WR 200 Yamaha in the shed which suits my riding style these days.

There was one weld seam around the middle of the expansion chamber that got a bit sanded away while shaping the putty 1/12th scale Motocross scene. so I took it all off and put on all the appropriate join lines using fine copper wire. My semi-gloss black is almost gloss so I'm going to buy a new bottle, maybe a different brand this time.
    Attached Images Attached Images 1/12th scale Motocross scene.-exhaust-pipe-weld-seams-applied-5-jpg  1/12th scale Motocross scene.-exhaust-pipe-weld-seams-applied-3-jpg  1/12th scale Motocross scene.-exhaust-pipe-weld-seams-applied-4-jpg  1/12th scale Motocross scene.-exhaust-pipe-weld-seams-primed-1-jpg  1/12th scale Motocross scene.-exhaust-pipe-weld-seams-primed-3-jpg  1/12th scale Motocross scene.-exhaust-pipe-2-jpg 
    QUOTE QUOTE #14

14. Dr Dave's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    David
    I thought I'd get a bit clever with the seat by putting down some black and then spraying some light blue over it from an almost empty spray can of auto touch-up paint to give a 2 tone affect (the same spray can used for the rear spring). Another FAIL. The auto paint covered the lot completely and was too pail. It might have worked if I had used an air brush. So I brushed on a coat of Tamiya 1/12th scale Motocross scene. X4 blue and left it at that, which is probably how it should be anyway.
    Attached Images Attached Images 1/12th scale Motocross scene.-seat-2-jpg  1/12th scale Motocross scene.-seat-3-jpg 
    QUOTE QUOTE #15