Close

1/12th scale Motocross scene.
Goal amount for this year: 518 USD, Received: 295.00 USD (57%)
Scalemotorcars is a free and open community devoted to scale modeling. The heart and soul of Scalemotorcars is our global community of over 10,000+ contributors, millions of readers, and donors like yourself Ė all united to share unlimited access to reliable information. Your donations keep Scalemotorcars freely available to everyone.

This years bandwidth costs, hosting service, domain registration, software licensing fees, and maintenance cost have a balance of $518 due by the end of August. Please help us keep Scalemotorcars growing by making a donation today.
Thank you.

1/12th scale Motocross scene. 1/12th scale Motocross scene. 1/12th scale Motocross scene. 1/12th scale Motocross scene. 1/12th scale Motocross scene.
Accepted Payment Types

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
      Builder Last Online: May 2019 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  Thanks: 0
      Started: 01-03-13 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

Hello everyone.

Well the diorama bug has certainly bitten hard here at my place. It seems that I canít build a model now without scenery for it to go in.
      This one is going to be a 1/12[SUP]th[/SUP] scale Motocross scene with 3 bikes, 2 riders, and 2 bales of hay on a dirt curve. I canít make the base until all the models are done so that I can position them to calculate the size that the base needs to be. I donít want to make it too big or too small.

The idea started a couple of years ago when I was given a box of 4 assorted pre-built bike models in very poor condition, 2x 1/12[SUP]th[/SUP] dirt bikes and 1x 1/12[SUP]th[/SUP] & 1x 1/16[SUP]th[/SUP] road bikes. I had been checking out on ebay a KTM with rider, so naturally the thought hit me straight away. I eventually got a KTM with rider and also Tamiya 1/12th scale Motocross scene. ís Jumping Rider figure for the Suzuki, while the Yamaha will be unmanned, a little bent, and leaning on a couple of hay bales.

At the rate that I pump out completed models, Iíll be lucky to have this one done by next Christmas. I actually started this a few months ago but haven't done a lot in that time.

Build Photos

1/12th scale Motocross scene.-imgp6274-jpg  1/12th scale Motocross scene.-imgp6275-jpg  1/12th scale Motocross scene.-imgp5960-jpg  1/12th scale Motocross scene.-imgp5962-jpg 

Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. skymnky272's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    sherman
    Wow,,you guys are awsome! Love the bike kits,,{I used to race 1:1 1/12th scale Motocross scene. moto-x bikes,still ride off road today,KLR Kawi 650} Nice to see the bikes still being built,,nice work.
    Hi all,,just looking to learn about new builders/projects,,and general modeling fun,,cheers!
    QUOTE QUOTE #17

2. Dr Dave's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    David
    Thanks Sherman. I prefer these old kits to the new race bike kits. To me they have more character, and bring back memories.

Not much progress. The fuel tank, guards and side covers will stay unpainted white plastic just like the real thing. Time now to start throwing a bit of mud on before I go too far.
    Attached Images Attached Images 1/12th scale Motocross scene.-frame-13-jpg  1/12th scale Motocross scene.-frame-14-jpg  1/12th scale Motocross scene.-frame-15-jpg 
    QUOTE QUOTE #18

3. Dr Dave's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    David
    The weather has been miserable here lately and I canít paint anything so I thought Iíd try making a hay bale, and with real hay. I pulled out all the big bits and used the finer stuff. I figured the only way I could make it the right shape was to press it and tie it the way the real ones are made so I had to make a bale press first. I nailed together some scrap wood that was destined for the fireplace and sticky taped some nylon sting into it so I could tie the bale up before taking it out of the press. Then I started putting the hay in bit by bit and pressing it until full to the top. So far it was coming along fine until I needed to tie it up. As soon as I let the pressure off, it all wanted to bulge out the top. I ended up sitting on the floor and holding the hay in the press with my big toe so I could use both hands to tie it. I then trimmed it with a bread knife and ÖÖ thereís one little bale. Now I have to do it again as I want two bales.
    Attached Images Attached Images 1/12th scale Motocross scene.-hay-bale-01-jpg  1/12th scale Motocross scene.-hay-bale-03-jpg  1/12th scale Motocross scene.-hay-bale-08-jpg  1/12th scale Motocross scene.-hay-bale-12-jpg  1/12th scale Motocross scene.-hay-bale-13-jpg 
    QUOTE QUOTE #19

4. skymnky272's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    sherman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Dave View Post
    Thanks Sherman. I prefer these old kits to the new race bike kits. To me they have more character, and bring back memories.

Not much progress. The fuel tank, guards and side covers will stay unpainted white plastic just like the real thing. Time now to start throwing a bit of mud on before I go too far.
    I think you have inspired me to build up some diaorama scenes soon,,Ive experimented recently with shooting pics with bike catalog pics in background,,but a diaorama is a fun idea. Heres a pic of an MPC 1970 1/8th "Baja Burro" cant even find these on e-bay,,maybe one or two,,but very rare. Thanks for the inspiration!
    Hi all,,just looking to learn about new builders/projects,,and general modeling fun,,cheers!
    QUOTE QUOTE #20

5. chassisdude's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Michael
    Man....The hay bales look like...well...hay bales..Cool stuff !
    I have done so much, With so little, for so long, I can do anything with nothing...
    QUOTE QUOTE #21

6. D-Stroke's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Rick
    Real cool stuff Dave.
    QUOTE QUOTE #22