Close

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
      Builder Last Online: Feb 2019 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  Thanks: 0
      Started: 12-31-08 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

Lovers of shiny, perfect surfaces need not apply.This is where we get to have fun being like messy kids again.Anything goes,the dirtier,messier,disorderly,unmilitary or whatever you want to call it, the better.There is a part in all of is that likes a little chaos now and then, so this will be the thread for that.
      Lots of books have been written of how to get that perfect ,factory fresh finish,well this is at the other end of the scale and ten times the fun.Call it the "dark side "of modeling where freedom reigns ,where there are no rules and regs beyond what pleases you.Where you can take that perfect surface and totally screw it up .Just paid 50 bucks for that limited edition diecast? No problem ,lets get the old sandpaper out and give it some character.Just spent all that time building that perfect model that just looks like all the others?Want to make it yours and yours alone, well get out those hammers and saws.Art is not always about the creation of the beautiful ,in fact that can be downright boring.Art is also about wear and tear,things getting old ,just like in real life.Take a look around you,does nature plant trees in rows?Is there only one kind of blue flower?Does that perfect leaf not have a little fungus on it?
      Artists who take on the role of "creator- destroyer "of their own self -made worlds, are only then truly free to do their thing.
      Anyway,enough of that,lets see what I mean.................
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. JohnReid's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    John Reid
    For Large Pictures see:

https://albatros15.imgur.com/all/
    My 1:16th dioramas are now on permanent display at the Canada Aviaion and Space Museum,in Ottawa,Canada.The apprailals for the museum were done by Shep Paine who valued them at between $15,000 and $25,000 (US) each.
    QUOTE QUOTE #2

2. JohnReid's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    John Reid

This may be an extreme example but you get the idea.
    For Large Pictures see:

My 1:16th dioramas are now on permanent display at the Canada Aviaion and Space Museum,in Ottawa,Canada.The apprailals for the museum were done by Shep Paine who valued them at between $15,000 and $25,000 (US) each.
    QUOTE QUOTE #3

3. JohnReid's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    John Reid
    For Large Pictures see:

QUOTE QUOTE #4

4. JohnReid's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    John Reid

I plan to use these cars in an upcoming diorama about an old barn find.If your going to dream you might as well dream big!
    For Large Pictures see:

QUOTE QUOTE #5

5. Rick's Avatar Member
    Name
    Rick
    Will done John! I'm curious, are those a couple of die cast cars or...........heaven forbid.......Pochers? Next time you do a weathering Weathering,the fun part! project, could you do it as a tutorial?

Can't say enough about your work. Fascinating!!
    QUOTE QUOTE #6

6. JohnReid's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    John Reid
    Hi Rick! They are both the same 1/18th diecasts.I just took one apart and weathered it like it had spent decades in an old barn.
    I plan to do lots of "how to's" in the future.
    For Large Pictures see:

QUOTE QUOTE #7

7. ScaleMotorcars's Avatar Administrator
    Name
    Daniel
    Would love to see as many how to's as you can come up with.

This subject can be somewhat intimidating to some builders and theres so many ways to go about it. Thanks for the pic's I look forward to your tutorials.
    QUOTE QUOTE #8

8. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Wow, that's great weathering Weathering,the fun part! . I want to learn how to turn a Duesenberg into a Junkenberg. A tutorial would be just the thing. Again, great work.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #9

9. ScaleMotorcars's Avatar Administrator
    Name
    Daniel
    Just wanted to 2nd that tutorial. Anyone up for doing a step by step?

Tools supplies the entire 9 yards. Lots of pictures!!!
    QUOTE QUOTE #10

10. JohnReid's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    John Reid
    It is on my "things to do list" somewhere down the road.
    For Large Pictures see:

QUOTE QUOTE #11

11. ScaleMotorcars's Avatar Administrator
    Name
    Daniel
    I look forward to it. You need anything to help out with that you just let me know.
    QUOTE QUOTE #12

12. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    thanks in advance John.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #13

13. JohnReid's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    John Reid
    Haven't found the time yet to do a tutorial on weathering Weathering,the fun part! but here is the work of Chuck Doan.It is his only piece in 1/16th as he normally works in RR scales.I consider him to be THE master of extreme weathering Weathering,the fun part! ,take a look I am sure that you will agree.
    For Large Pictures see:

QUOTE QUOTE #14

14. JohnReid's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    John Reid

courtesy of Chuck Doan
    For Large Pictures see:

QUOTE QUOTE #15