Close

"The getaway"
Goal amount for this year: 518 USD, Received: 415.00 USD (80%)
Scalemotorcars is a free and open community devoted to scale modeling. The heart and soul of Scalemotorcars is our global community of over 10,000+ contributors, millions of readers, and donors like yourself all united to share unlimited access to reliable information. Your donations keep Scalemotorcars freely available to everyone.

This years bandwidth costs, hosting service, domain registration, software licensing fees, and maintenance cost have a balance of $518 due by the end of August, (extended to the end of Septembers). Please help us keep Scalemotorcars growing by making a donation today.
Thank you.

"The getaway" "The getaway" "The getaway" "The getaway" "The getaway"
Accepted Payment Types

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: "The getaway"

Builder Last Online: May 2019 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  Thanks: 0
      Started: 03-19-11 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

G'day all. Here we go on another one of the doctors little adventures. I was going to call this one "2 bikes racing", but I've been influenced to change my plans a bit. I was going to have 2 German soldiers racing each other and just clowning around, but the new version is now going to be a German soldier chasing an escaped P.O.W. so there will be a slightly deeper meaning to the story. I'm not into the military stuff but a little change from the regular thing wont hurt. Plus it still involves a couple of bikes, a BMW R75 (same as the one I did with the sidecar) and a Zundapp KS.750.

This time the diorama gets built first, then the bikes, and then the riders. I'm starting to like this diorama building.

I started last week end with a piece of styrofoam and shaped it up to form a road curving up through a bit of a cutting with some washouts on the edge.

Build Photos

"The getaway"-2-bikes-box-001-jpg  "The getaway"-bmw-jpg  "The getaway"-zundapp-jpg  "The getaway"-ground-001-jpg  "The getaway"-ground-006-jpg  "The getaway"-ground-010-jpg 

Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Way to go Dave, love it.
    If I was to add anything to what you've accomplished it would be in the form a biased personal view only.......and that would be to build a "bigger" (larger scale) dio.

Perhaps a glass topped coffee table with a whole story inside......it would be cool to have a dust free environment on display where even a casual viewer could see it and being a piece of furniture it would also serve that purpose.
    Grandpa McGurk.....Steppin' Large and Livin' easy.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #17

2. Dr Dave's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    David
    Thankyou Don. Sydeem mentioned a similar thing in my sidecar thread about putting a 1/8 scale dio in a table. There's something in this......I'm having visions now....... You fellows may have just planted a seed, and I might have to try growing it into fruition.

The two dioramas I've just finished I think were a practice run for something I've been wanting to do for long time now. I've been planing to rebuild an old 1/25 scale road train and put it in a desert landscape diorama, not just on a board covered with dirt.

This would look pretty neat under glass at 1.5 mtrs long x .5 mtr wide

But for now, I've had enough of this small stuff. It was fun to try something new and different, and I learnt a lot at the same time, but I need to get back to more familiar and comfortable surroundings.

After a lot of indecision for days now, my next project finally jumped out and yelled at me. 'Get back to the half finished 1/6 Suzuki Katana!' I've been putting it off for way too long now (nearly 5 years). So now, where on earth was I up to with that one??? Hhmmm??

See you all back in the bike shed :)'

Dave.

PS. I wounder if this has stirred the imaginations of anyone else who has not made a diorama before? Go on, give it a try, it's like having a little holiday
    QUOTE QUOTE #18

3. shadetree's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Marc
    Very nice, no matter the scale. Personel choice for the allied rider would have
    been the "Cooler King" . Great work.
    Marc
    QUOTE QUOTE #19

4. Dr Dave's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    David
    Thanks Marc. I definitely thought about the "Cooler King" but it's the wrong bike This one is a BMW and he rides a Triumph T6. But I tell ya what, if I find one I could be very tempted to let him have another go at jumping the wire.......Hmmm, yes, I can see it now..... Oh no, I don't need more ideas, I have too many as it is
    Hey, how about 1/6 scale? Paint up one of those die cast Triumph Bonneville's and dress up a figure like CAMWADER has riding his Harleys. . . . . . and put it under glass, in another coffee table.

Dave.
    QUOTE QUOTE #20

5. Dr Dave's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    David
    Ooops. Made a mistake.
    Last edited by Dr Dave; 05-11-11 at 07:04 AM. Reason: Ooops. Made a mistake.
    QUOTE QUOTE #21

6. Dr Dave's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    David
    Update! Last week end, 20 & 21 August 2011, the annual Queensland Model Hobby Expo was held in Brisbane. I decided to enter this model in the 'Small Diorama' section just for fun and ended up with a Bronze medal for my efforts. Never thought I'd be doing a military model of any sort, let alone winning something with it.

"The getaway"-bronze-medal-winner-military-dioramas-jpg

I also picked up a Gold medal in the 'Miscellaneous' section for my Clerget 9B Rotary engine. Had a great week end and saw heaps of really awesome models.

Dave.
    QUOTE QUOTE #22

7. Dougritt's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Douglas
    Great job Dave! I really enjoyed this thread. The Englishman's hair looks great and even made me laugh! Can't wait for your next project!

Doug
    QUOTE QUOTE #23

8. D-Stroke's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Rick
    Very cool work. I love dioramas.
    QUOTE QUOTE #24