Close

Scratch Building,a beginners guide.
Goal amount for this year: 518 USD, Received: 415.00 USD (80%)
Scalemotorcars is a free and open community devoted to scale modeling. The heart and soul of Scalemotorcars is our global community of over 10,000+ contributors, millions of readers, and donors like yourself – all united to share unlimited access to reliable information. Your donations keep Scalemotorcars freely available to everyone.

This years bandwidth costs, hosting service, domain registration, software licensing fees, and maintenance cost have a balance of $518 due by the end of August, (extended to the end of Septembers). Please help us keep Scalemotorcars growing by making a donation today.
Thank you.

Scratch Building,a beginners guide. Scratch Building,a beginners guide. Scratch Building,a beginners guide. Scratch Building,a beginners guide. Scratch Building,a beginners guide.
Accepted Payment Types

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
      Builder Last Online: Feb 2019 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  (1 votes - 5.00 average) Thanks: 0
      Started: 01-30-11 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

Scratch Building WW1 , A Beginners Guide
      A beginner guide written by a beginner ? Well this should be good !

This thread will be about scratchbuilding a WW1 airplane or parts of an airplane to use with kit models plastic or otherwise.
      Yes ,I am a beginner too, as this will be my first attempt to completely build a model from scratch doing my own research, drawings,plans etc....
      It will be multi-media wood,plastic,brass etc....I also want to try different ways of doing things.Hope you guys enjoy this ! If I fall flat on my face trying this,then you can enjoy watching it in real time !
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. Dr Dave's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    David
    John, after seeing the work you've done in other threads here I don't think you will have too much trouble with scratch building. It's a whole lot of fun. There are no boundaries other than your imagination, and I'm sure you are very capable of creating something quite unique. And if you are having trouble with something you know there are plenty of guys here that will be more than willing to offer you suggestions and help.

I've been listening to an audio book in the truck about Charles Kingsford-Smith and Manfred Von Richthofen (the red baron) flying in WW1. Those fellows were just amazing, and I'm fascinated by the machines they flew, so I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Cheers mate, Dave.
    QUOTE QUOTE #2

2. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth
    John,

Congratulations on this move! Once you have scratch built Scratch Building,a beginners guide. a plane you will never look at kits the same way again. If you need advice or just have a question just drop me a line.

Let the journey begin!

Ken
    QUOTE QUOTE #3

3. ^^ What he said! Scratchbuilding is a whole nother world
    This don't look like no expressway to me! - Jake Blues
    QUOTE QUOTE #4

4. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    I'm definitely tuned into this one. Thanks John for setting this thread up. I'm looking forward to learning what I can here.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #5

5. JohnReid's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    John Reid
    Thanks guys ! I really appreciate your encouragement with this endeavor.Please keep in mind though, my limited abilities with computers and photography.What I lack in professionalism I can only hope that the slack will be taken up with my enthusiasm for the love of the subject matter.
    The pictures up until now were taken over a period of 10 years and vary a lot in quality,skill and was a learning experience itself.I don't have a lot of step-by-step pics of the builds mostly because in the early days they cost about a buck a pic so I was limited by the number of picture taking sessions I could afford.Today of course I have a digital camera but I really don't understand it very well ,much like my computer.
    Please don't expect a Ken Foran level of professionalism but I will try my best !;';;';
    Last edited by JohnReid; 01-31-11 at 10:56 AM.
    For Large Pictures see:

https://albatros15.imgur.com/all/
    My 1:16th dioramas are now on permanent display at the Canada Aviaion and Space Museum,in Ottawa,Canada.The apprailals for the museum were done by Shep Paine who valued them at between $15,000 and $25,000 (US) each.
    QUOTE QUOTE #6

6. JohnReid's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    John Reid
    Quote Originally Posted by xken View Post
    John,

Congratulations on this move! Once you have scratch built Scratch Building,a beginners guide. a plane you will never look at kits the same way again. If you need advice or just have a question just drop me a line.

Let the journey begin!

Ken
    Thanks Ken for your kind offer,you can be sure that I will take you up on it !
    For Large Pictures see:

My 1:16th dioramas are now on permanent display at the Canada Aviaion and Space Museum,in Ottawa,Canada.The apprailals for the museum were done by Shep Paine who valued them at between $15,000 and $25,000 (US) each.
    QUOTE QUOTE #7

7. JohnReid's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    John Reid
    Thumbs up Fokker D.VIII
    I don't know about you guys but the holy grail of modeling for me has always been to scratch build Scratch Building,a beginners guide. a model airplane #1 and #2 learn how to carve and paint scale figures so that they actually look like the subject.
    Well I have come close to the first goal but the second is still way far off in the distance .
    The subject matter for this build will be the Fokker D.VIII.Nice design,one wing (swept and tapered), simple construction,lots of research material and loads of construction pics of the real thing are out there,good availability of materials for the build etc...etc.... All in all a good first subject for a WW1 scratch build Scratch Building,a beginners guide. .

Thank you des (beeza) for the suggestion !
    For Large Pictures see:

QUOTE QUOTE #8

8. JohnReid's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    John Reid
    Research Materials
    Well here is the research that I have gathered up until now.

-Datafile Fokker E.V (thanks tw)

-Drawings and plans Achim Engles from all of his websites (thanks Achim)

-Scale Aircraft Drawings Vol #1 (check reliability with above plans and drawings)

- Scratch Built Scratch Building,a beginners guide. book by John Alcorn, for general information.

-On Miniature Wings NASA for visual reference.

-Model kit 8480 eduard 1/72 Scratch Building,a beginners guide. for visual reference.
    For Large Pictures see:

QUOTE QUOTE #9

9. JohnReid's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    John Reid
    Here is where it stands right now.
    -the build will be skeletal or partially so.
    -it will be basswood and tupelo for the major parts
    -it will be multi-media wood ,plastic,brass etc......
    -it will incorporate some hand made ,compound curve tupelo parts carved very thin to scale and then soaked in CA.
    -it will be plastic tube over brass( or other metal )and have glued joints.
    -their will be no fabric to hide the work, one wing will be covered or partially covered with a plywood skin.
    -it will be a vignette using some artistic license.
    -it will be principally be a storyboard art piece used for teaching purposes.
    -it will be an "under construction "type model that will give me the freedom of what to leave in and what to leave out.
    -It will be worked on ,as time permits, over a long period , as I have two dioramas yet to be finished.
    For Large Pictures see:

QUOTE QUOTE #10

10. JohnReid's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    John Reid
    What I have learned about scratchbuilding so far.
    -For early work especially ,be careful to select the right project.Wing ribs especially in the smaller scales can be a problem.
    -double-check your references, even experts make mistakes.
    -be creative,try new things and don't be afraid to ask for help.
    -keep finished stuff handy, pics,models etc... for study and encouragement.
    -consider building a kit first(I recommend the Model Expo Jenny) and then partially scratch build Scratch Building,a beginners guide. it ,to help build your confidence in your techniques.Metal kit parts often make nice 3D parts as examples for scratch building your own.
    -have the right tools for the job both for building and painting,buy the best that you can afford.

There are many more that I can't think of right now but they are sure to come up during the course of the build.
    For Large Pictures see:

QUOTE QUOTE #11

11. JohnReid's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    John Reid
    Wood
    My advise,stay away from balsa period !too soft,large grain,easily broken,hard to finish,difficult to bend.........
    Why do modelers keep using this stuff? Maybe it is tradition or a hold over from flying models ,I don't really know but it is not for modern static type decorative models.
    Basswood is your best all round choice. ,in my opinion.It is everything that balsa isn't.The thing to know about basswood is that properly selected it is extremely forgiving especially for the beginner.
    Their are two types of basswood available upland or lowland,light in weight and color or heavier in weight and darker in color.The upland or light in weight and color is the way to go.The light colored basswood usually has little grain at all but here again it is important to hand select your wood.Don't just send away for some but examine each piece before buying it.
    Hobby store basswood is usually very good stuff,especially the stuff they make for the RR guys and it is available in the smallest of sizes.Check it out !
    Birch,cherry,mahogany,walnut are also readily available and have varying good and bad points about them.(does anything look nicer than a hardwood instrument panel? I have used on occasion even hard maple which is extremely strong and properly selected it can have almost no visible grain as well.

Plywood ? birch is the best, but here again select your own stuff for grain.
    Good hobby stores usually have the best stuff for small scale work.

Now we come to tupelo. I got used to using this stuff during my bird carving days.Again properly selected,and using power tools (rotary bits etc..)it can be carved paper thin.The direction of grain means almost nothing,end grain is just as strong as the length.It is great for compound curve work and soaked in thin CA it becomes rock hard.In its natural state it is too soft for hand tools although I have seen some guys work miracles with it especially the Cajun carvers, but for beginners it is power tools only.

These are the wood materials that I have experience with ,I am sure that there are many others available for model work.

For dimension lumber in very small scales it really isn't worth it for the average guy to make at home.A few of you wood experts out there I am sure
    could prove that it can be done but I have neither the time or tools to try to accomplish this.
    If there is absolutely no way that you can select your own wood then I would trust the Model Expo stuff.I have used a lot of their stuff building their model kits and the wood supplied is generally good but it too can vary.
    I have also used some Arizona Models wood and it too is very good.
    Hope this helps !
    ____
    For Large Pictures see:

QUOTE QUOTE #12

12. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Model Expo is a good choice John. They not only sell the wood model kits, many of them are manufactured right here in Florida by Model Expo. I've done a good deal of biz with them and been more than satisfied.
    Grandpa McGurk.....Steppin' Large and Livin' easy.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #13

13. JohnReid's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    John Reid
    Tools
    Nothing special really.I assume that most of the guys reading this have most of the basic modeling tools anyway.
    -xacto knife with #11 blade.Buy in quantity as it is not worth trying to sharpen them.Try to get one with the tightening part at the bottom.Xacto brand blades are a little more flexible than other types.
    - sanding Scratch Building,a beginners guide. -they sell small sanding Scratch Building,a beginners guide. tools that can be quite handy.It has a narrow sand Scratch Building,a beginners guide. paper belt that can be moved so that you always have fresh grit to work with.Any flat wood stick or dowel down to the smallest stuff, can be covered with the belt type cloth sandpaper and glued(I use epoxy Scratch Building,a beginners guide. )They last forever.Make lots of types from various grits.
    -Miter saw and miter box medium or fine blades.
    -clothes pegs of all sizes.The nose of the pegs can be sawn off flush for better holding power.
    -small C clamps of various sizes and types.You can never have enough.
    -small pins of various sizes,steel or brass.
    -piece of pink insulation for making a building board.
    -piece of plywood to glue the insulation board to.Thick and flat to ensure that there is no twisting .
    -glues ,all the usual glues plus carpenters glue for the wood.
    -brass tubing and rod,I will be buying some plastic tubing to experiment with.

to be continued.......
    For Large Pictures see:

QUOTE QUOTE #14

14. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth
    John & others, here is a link to another great source wood scale lumber. I use their stuff as well as Model Expo's. Explore their offering.

Midwest Products

Ken

PS. You may want to bookmark this one.
    QUOTE QUOTE #15