Close

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
      Builder Last Online: Feb 2019 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  (1 votes - 5.00 average) Thanks: 0
      Started: 01-30-11 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

Scratch Building WW1 , A Beginners Guide
      A beginner guide written by a beginner ? Well this should be good !

This thread will be about scratchbuilding a WW1 airplane or parts of an airplane to use with kit models plastic or otherwise.
      Yes ,I am a beginner too, as this will be my first attempt to completely build a model from scratch doing my own research, drawings,plans etc....
      It will be multi-media wood,plastic,brass etc....I also want to try different ways of doing things.Hope you guys enjoy this ! If I fall flat on my face trying this,then you can enjoy watching it in real time !
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.

1. JohnReid's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    John Reid
    As a beginner avoid this type of construction.
    Way too complicated and the tolerances when cutting the wood are too small.

Note the balsa wood tip ! Why?
    Last edited by JohnReid; 01-31-11 at 05:10 PM.
    For Large Pictures see:

https://albatros15.imgur.com/all/
    My 1:16th dioramas are now on permanent display at the Canada Aviaion and Space Museum,in Ottawa,Canada.The apprailals for the museum were done by Shep Paine who valued them at between $15,000 and $25,000 (US) each.
    QUOTE QUOTE #17

2. JohnReid's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    John Reid
    JackFlash (Stephen T. Lawson) says
    Posted: Monday, January 31, 2011 - 03:59 PM GMT
    Here are my list of references on the subject.

Aerodrome Modeller, Vol.3, #3, P.125.
    Eindeckers of World War I by D. Pardee, Cross & Cockade USA Vol.22, #4, Pp.331-343,1981.
    Fokker D.VIII by J.M.Bruce, Profile Pub. #67, 1966.
    Fokker D.VIII by P.M.Grosz, Windsock Datafile #25, Albatros Pub. Ltd. 1991.
    Fokker D.VIII by P.M.Grosz, World War One Aero #86, September 1980.
    Fokker E.V./ D.VIII by R. Rimell, Warpaint #5 Scale Models May 1979.
    Fokker Fighters of WWI by A. Imrie, Osprey, Vintage Warbirds #6, Pp.53-55, 58-59, 1986.
    Fokker’s D.VIII ...Reluctant Razor by P. Grosz, Air Enthusiast 17 Pp.61-73, 1980.
    Fokker D.VIII Wing and Airfoils by C. Cash et al, World War One Aero #79, May 1980.
    German Army Air Service in WWI, Osprey, Vintage Warbirds #2,Pp.26-27, 1985.
    Info from Dan-San Abbott, unpublished.
    Pictorial History of the German Army Air Service by A. Imrie, Ian Allen Pub. 1971.
    Report on the Fokker Monoplane Type E.V, Report I.M.1015 Air Ministry June, 1920.
    Royal Prussian Jagdstaffel Nr.36 by S.T.Lawson, Cross & Cockade Int. Vol.20, #1, Pp. 1989.
    Scale Model Aircraft in Plastic Card by H.Woodman, Model & Allied Pub., 1975.
    Serendipity at Aerdrome 92' by P.M.Grosz, World War One Aero, Pp.64-66, 1993.
    U.S. Air Service’s Fokker D.VIII Monoplanes by B.Flanagan, Cross & Cockade USA, Vol.16, #1, Pp.83-92, 1975. (Fokker E.V P165 and P169 were tested at McCook Field 1920-22.)
    World War One in Plastic by Brad Hansen, Great Auk Pub. Pp.25,52 1979 & update 3/79.
    World War One in the Air by R. Rimell, Osprey Pub. Vintage Warbirds #9, p.35,1988.
    For Large Pictures see:

My 1:16th dioramas are now on permanent display at the Canada Aviaion and Space Museum,in Ottawa,Canada.The apprailals for the museum were done by Shep Paine who valued them at between $15,000 and $25,000 (US) each.
    QUOTE QUOTE #18

3. JohnReid's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    John Reid
    For Large Pictures see:

QUOTE QUOTE #19

4. JohnReid's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    John Reid
    Now here is a much simpler method of wing construction,one that I would recommend for a beginners project.Solid ribs (or ribs with round lightning holes) that can be slid in place right over the wing spar.
    For Large Pictures see:

QUOTE QUOTE #20

5. JohnReid's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    John Reid
    What I have learned about scratchbuilding so far.(2)
    My experience with scratch building has been limited so far to parts and pieces of the airplane.I did scratch the tail assembly of the Jenny though ,changing it from a JN4 to a Canuck.Here is how I did it.
    A note about the pictures first.These were taken before I had a digital camera when pics cost about a buck each,so I limited myself to only a few under construction sessions of pic taking.
    For Large Pictures see:

QUOTE QUOTE #21

6. JohnReid's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    John Reid
    This is an example of where I am now with my own experiences building scratch parts for WW1 type airplanes.

The following are pics of a tail feathers conversion of a Jenny JN4 to a Canuck.

-1" foam glued to a plywood backing (in this case flat particle board)

-the Canuck drawing was enlarged to 1/16th scale and pinned down.

-over the drawing I taped down some wax paper.

-the raw brass and basswood pieces were then pinned down and bent right on the drawing and glued.Nothing was pre-formed. CA glue Scratch Building,a beginners guide. was used throughout so there was no waiting to dry.If you plan to water stain your wood do it prior to gluing Scratch Building,a beginners guide. to avoid those ugly glue marks.

Pretty simple huh!
    For Large Pictures see:

QUOTE QUOTE #22

7. JohnReid's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    John Reid
    For Large Pictures see:

QUOTE QUOTE #23

8. JohnReid's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    John Reid
    I know the pic is pretty lousy but I will be posting others, in more of a step by step method ,as we get into this project.
    A note about the tail feathers on my Jenny Canuck.The construction is a bit of a ******* case in that the real Canuck tail feathers were not made this way.I show wood where there should be steel but I did it this way to show how the old barnstormers were really made.There were no air regs in those days so the builders pretty much did as they liked to get the old girl into the air.
    For Large Pictures see:

QUOTE QUOTE #24

9. JohnReid's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    John Reid
    For Large Pictures see:

QUOTE QUOTE #25

10. JohnReid's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    John Reid
    The drawing on the right is from the kit and the drawing on the left is my own obtained from a book of drawings and blown up to 1/16th scale.
    Everything was built from raw materials right on the building board.If you use long,strong steel pins and 1" pink foam board is very easy to bend the raw materials to the required shape.If you are worried about spring back you can slightly overbend to release the tension and relieve any pressure on the CA glue Scratch Building,a beginners guide. joint.(you could use epoxy Scratch Building,a beginners guide. instead if you are willing to wait out the longer cure Scratch Building,a beginners guide. time)
    The perimeter of the complete assembly is brass and also the tube joining the elevator and the horizontal stab together,the rest is basswood.
    The wax paper makes removing the assembly from the board easy with only a little cleanup required for the joints.
    I really like this method as it eliminates the hassles involved with soldering and is much more user friendly for a beginner like me.
    For Large Pictures see:

QUOTE QUOTE #26

11. JohnReid's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    John Reid
    For Large Pictures see:

QUOTE QUOTE #27

12. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth
    John, just building on your thoughts... for my brass work which is done pretty much the same way except for the use of brass stock and soldering; the board I use is a 2' x 4' suspended ceiling tile with a piece of illustration boad taped to it; the board gives the resistance that the pins need and can take the soldering temps with just a few burn spots. Both tile and board are cheap and the size enables one to build wings as well. It is easy enough to cut the tile size down as well.

Ken
    QUOTE QUOTE #28

13. JohnReid's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    John Reid
    Ken,any chance of a pic of your setup?
    For Large Pictures see:

QUOTE QUOTE #29

14. JohnReid's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    John Reid
    For Large Pictures see:

QUOTE QUOTE #30

15. JohnReid's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    John Reid
    The wings were built the same way as the tail feathers and were quite easy to construct using this methodology.

Please note: the turnbuckles are overscale but I thought that this was such an important feature of a biplane wing that I wanted them to be visible to the average viewer, when placed in the scale hangar.A little artistic license for teaching purposes.
    Last edited by JohnReid; 02-01-11 at 04:43 PM.
    For Large Pictures see:

QUOTE QUOTE #31