Close

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. ajwheels's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    Tony
    As a new member of the site, I was glad to find this area of the forum.............and share an in-work cad model............the 409's were dominant in their time, and remain a visually interesting piece to this day.......this example will eventually run the dual Carter AFBs.............any thoughts or comments much appreciated.................

Tony
    Attached Images Attached Images 409 Chevrolet...............-409-1-jpg  409 Chevrolet...............-409-2-jpg  409 Chevrolet...............-409-3-jpg 
    QUOTE QUOTE #1

2. Deuces-wild's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Guido
    There goes that song playin' in my head again..Nice job on the motor!!! Your right about having the 425 hp 2x4 setup on top. Another intake setup would be the 3x2 that came on the 348
    Be nice or else ~1~**
    QUOTE QUOTE #2

3. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    AJ, I for one think this rocks......lots of possibilities here. Thanks for sharing with us big guy, strut your stuff, we love it. The digital workbench was set up for you pixel twister car nuts so please take advantage of it and have fun.
    Grandpa McGurk.....Steppin' Large and Livin' easy.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #3

4. Daytonatim's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Now there's a motor! Great work as usual AJ.

Like Don said, this "Digital Workbench" forum is made for this type of stuff. We would really like to grow this unique facet of "home spun" modeling and this forum is the first step in that direction.

Those have got to be the "curviest" valvecovers ever made. Does anyone know why they were made that way? I am not a big Chevy man so I don't

Tim
    Last edited by Daytonatim; 06-08-09 at 04:38 PM.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity, lick it once and you will suck forever.....!!!
    QUOTE QUOTE #4

5. troppo's Avatar Established Member
    This sort of talent could be used for the 3D world too, i reckon there has to be a way to convert cad files to one of the various 3D formats. Could earn you cad guys a few bucks on the 3D sites, and i for one would but ome of the cad files in hers if they were compatable. Theres a pretty big market for accurate detailed 3D models out there.
    QUOTE QUOTE #5

6. ajwheels's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    Tony
    Thanks for the comments...........as for the "curvey valve covers", the heads have no combustion chambers, are straight flush with the valve faces, while the decks are 15 degrees off the centerline of the cylinder bores (as opposed to square).......combustion chamber is a wedge-shaped space in the top of the cylinder bore...............seems bizzare, but was quite effective apparently............

And troppo, I have been known to frequent the 3D sites with a few of my models......the files do convert rather well..........it's a nice diversion....................

Again, thanks all..................

Tony
    QUOTE QUOTE #6

7. 46SuperDeluxe's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Gary
    Quote Originally Posted by Daytonatim View Post
    Now there's a motor! Great work as usual AJ.

Those have got to be the "curviest" valvecovers ever made. Does anyone know why they were made that way? I am not a big Chevy man so I don't

Tim
    The valvecover is wavy because the sparkplug ports are siamesed together in the indented areas and the valves are staggered around those ports in kind of a "W" configuration. It was a very unique and iconic design. My friend had a '60 Chevy with a 348 that was basically the forerunner of the 409. Very nice work AJ! -Gary
    QUOTE QUOTE #7

8. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Hey, if we're gonna make one of those, I'd like to put my reservation in for it now. That's great. Nice work, AJ.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #8

9. strevo's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Steve
    Nice work AJ. I'm a Pro/E guy myself. Just out of curiosity, where do you find the reference material to build your parts? Or do you just have to measure an actual engine? Lack of good reference material is what usually keeps me from doing more designs for myself. Welcome to the site, and keep up the great work.
    -Steve
    "Success and failure are the same choice; only attitude determines the difference." Ross A. Halliday
    QUOTE QUOTE #9

10. Deuces-wild's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Guido
    That song is still playin' in my head...
    Be nice or else ~1~**
    QUOTE QUOTE #10

11. ajwheels's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    Tony
    strevo..........I hear you about reference material.........I typically do a Google image search, and try and get straight on views, left, right, top........and eventually come up with some overall dimensions.......heighth, length, width.............I model in AutoCad which lets me bring raster images into the program, scale these images to known dimensions, and lift details from there............the end result is really an elaborate sketch..............but unless you are making parts for the real thing, the end result is quite effective.........this 409 I had some pics I took at a swap meet, which helped with some of it, but it is really extapolated from a few known dimensions..........I just like to draw, and as a result, I find a way.............

D-wild...........not such a bad thing to have rollin' around in your head...........

Tony
    QUOTE QUOTE #11

12. Deuces-wild's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Guido
    Your right Tony... I'm a big fan of the Beach Boys..
    Be nice or else ~1~**
    QUOTE QUOTE #12

13. Daytonatim's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Tony, would any of your Chevy bellhousing/trannies mate up to the 409 or did it have a unique mounting flange??
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity, lick it once and you will suck forever.....!!!
    QUOTE QUOTE #13

14. ajwheels's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    Tony
    Tim............on this 409 engine, I carried over the rear flange from my small-block Chevrolet motor, and so yes, the bellhousing on my Muncie 4-speed will bolt right up...........I would suspect that is true of the real 348/409 parts as well..............

Tony
    QUOTE QUOTE #14

15. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Here's a pic of the valve train and plugs thanks to Guido.
    Attached Images Attached Images 409 Chevrolet...............-409stockerenginevalveadjmay1120041-jpg 
    Grandpa McGurk.....Steppin' Large and Livin' easy.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #15