Close

Mercedes Benz 540 K Spezial Roadster 1/8
Goal amount for this year: 518 USD, Received: 415.00 USD (80%)
Scalemotorcars is a free and open community devoted to scale modeling. The heart and soul of Scalemotorcars is our global community of over 10,000+ contributors, millions of readers, and donors like yourself – all united to share unlimited access to reliable information. Your donations keep Scalemotorcars freely available to everyone.

This years bandwidth costs, hosting service, domain registration, software licensing fees, and maintenance cost have a balance of $518 due by the end of August, (extended to the end of Septembers). Please help us keep Scalemotorcars growing by making a donation today.
Thank you.

Mercedes Benz 540 K Spezial Roadster 1/8 Mercedes Benz 540 K Spezial Roadster 1/8 Mercedes Benz 540 K Spezial Roadster 1/8 Mercedes Benz 540 K Spezial Roadster 1/8 Mercedes Benz 540 K Spezial Roadster 1/8
Accepted Payment Types

Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 19 20 21 22 23 24
      Builder Last Online: Sep 2019 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  (5 votes - 5.00 average) Thanks: 12
      Started: 05-29-15 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported Scratch Built Build in Progress

Hello everyone. This is my first posting at scalemotorcars. I`m from Austria (not Australia) and i`m building modelcars since 30 years. This is the first Project in this Dimension. Hope you`ll enjoy it. Sorry but my english is poor.

Build Photos

Mercedes Benz 540 K Spezial Roadster 1/8-8-2-jpg  Mercedes Benz 540 K Spezial Roadster 1/8-5-2-jpg  Mercedes Benz 540 K Spezial Roadster 1/8-7-2-jpg  Mercedes Benz 540 K Spezial Roadster 1/8-9-2-jpg  Mercedes Benz 540 K Spezial Roadster 1/8-10-2-jpg  Mercedes Benz 540 K Spezial Roadster 1/8-11-2-jpg  Mercedes Benz 540 K Spezial Roadster 1/8-16-2-jpg  Mercedes Benz 540 K Spezial Roadster 1/8-17-2-jpg  Mercedes Benz 540 K Spezial Roadster 1/8-19-2-jpg  Mercedes Benz 540 K Spezial Roadster 1/8-20-2-jpg  Mercedes Benz 540 K Spezial Roadster 1/8-21-2-jpg 

Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. markus68's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Markus
    Thanks Freddy. I have no blueprints (wooden frame). Markus

QUOTE QUOTE #347

2. Egon's Avatar Moderator
    Name
    egon
    I remember seeing a picture of someone working on a wood frame on a merc. 540, but I can't find it again, sorry.
    QUOTE QUOTE #348

3. QUOTE QUOTE #349

4. markus68's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Markus
    Maybe this?
    Mercedes Benz 540 K Spezial Roadster 1/8-261-jpg
    Mercedes Benz 540 K Spezial Roadster 1/8-274-jpg

QUOTE QUOTE #350

5. Pouln's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Poul
    Hi Markus, it took me some time to read up on your building thread. I’m more and more amazed with the level of detail you accomplish.
    This will be a wonderful model when it is finished but even now, in this state, it ie absolutely a feast for the eyes
    QUOTE QUOTE #351

6. markus68's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Markus
    Thank you Poul. Nice to have you here in my thread. Markus

QUOTE QUOTE #352

7. Egon's Avatar Moderator
    Name
    egon
    Very funny guys , no it was a real rear woodframe on a real merc. 540 on some restoration, it's on the web somewhere out there.
    QUOTE QUOTE #353

8. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Unfortunately, your fist pictures are not showing how you did the frame. As you know, I will soon begin the V-16 Cadillac frame and engine; at first, I wanted to shape the frame (it's just a large U) over a brass pattern. Maybe soldering the "legs" together would be easier. How did you yours?
    QUOTE QUOTE #354

9. markus68's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Markus
    Hello Roger. I am not shure what you exactly mean. When you go to page 1 please press the button "show comlete first post" and you can see 9 pics about the frame. Thats all i have. The inner and outer frameparts are in one piece. Botton and top: 2 pieces each. Soft soldered. You can also see some turning parts to keep the correct distance between inner and outer parts. "legs"?

QUOTE QUOTE #355

10. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    It's sometimes difficult to explain something in a foreign language! In fact, the word "flange" would be better.
    I saw all the frame pictures, but it's already done and the details "how" cannot be seen. According to the pictures, the frames are like a square tube. You did the inner and outer part separately and then connected both with the upper and lower flange.
    At first, I wanted to take a large piece of brass, machine it to have the profile and then bend the flanges. This is a lot of work for just one frame. This morning, I had a look into a book from Gerald Wingrove; for an open U, he did 3 parts soldered together: the vertical element and both flanges. This is probably the way to go.
    A picture from the project is attached.

QUOTE QUOTE #356

11. markus68's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Markus
    You are totally right. The turning parts for the distance. The inner parts are soldered like a weld joint (gas burner).

QUOTE QUOTE #357

12. Egon's Avatar Moderator
    Name
    egon
    I can understand your discussing frame profiles on the longitudinal frame, front to back, there are 3 types of the frame (rails) box type with 4 sides, U or open frame and tubeframes, U and box is very hard to shape, unless in a huge heavy duty press in a factory. Marcus made the profile in a flat brass and soldered top and buttom on. Is that correct guys.

Ich kann Ihre Diskussion Rahmenprofile auf dem Längsrahmen verstehen, von vorne nach hinten, es gibt 3 Arten von Rahmen (Schienen) Box-Typ mit 4 Seiten, U oder offener Rahmen und Rohrrahmen, U und Box ist sehr schwer zu formen, es sei denn, in Eine riesige Hochleistungspresse in einer Fabrik. Marcus fertigte das Profil in einem flachen Messing und lötete oben und unten an. Ist das richtig Jungs.

Good to use google translate sometimes.

Je peux comprendre que vous discutiez des profils de cadre sur le cadre longitudinal, d’avant en arrière. Il existe 3 types de cadre (rails) de type boîte à 4 côtés, cadre en U ou ouvert et tubeframes, le cadre en U étant très difficile à façonner, sauf une énorme presse lourde dans une usine. Marcus a fabriqué le profilé dans un laiton plat et a soudé le dessus et le bout à bout. Est-ce correct les gars.
    QUOTE QUOTE #358

13. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Yep, I have it! I probably forgot to click on "see all". My error! Now it's clear. Especially at the 1:8 scale, the frame rails are getting very long and bending the flanges is difficult, depending of the thickness of the metal.
    Thanks Egon to jump at this subject! Usually, I just laugh at the Google translations; this one is understandable, but could be better (not your fault!). The day of translators in flesh is not yet over!
    Another question Markus, if you allow: on your frame, you have used rivets. Are they real rivets (I means riveted) or are they there just for the look? That 1932 frame I intend to reproduce is just assembled by a myriad of rivets. As the "U" will be open on one side, rivets will be visible. I doubt that I will assemble the various elements (and there are a lot) just with rivets; they will probably be there only for the eyes. As you see, I do begin a completely different kind of construction.
    Sorry to pollute your thread!
    QUOTE QUOTE #359

14. markus68's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Markus
    The rivets are for the look but they are at the right place.

QUOTE QUOTE #360

15. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Thanks Markus! And I'm sure that they are at the right place...
    QUOTE QUOTE #361