Close

Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 LastLast
      Builder Last Online: Jan 2019 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  (5 votes - 5.00 average) Thanks: 12
      Started: 05-29-15 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported Scratch Built Build in Progress

Hello everyone. This is my first posting at scalemotorcars. I`m from Austria (not Australia) and i`m building modelcars since 30 years. This is the first Project in this Dimension. Hope you`ll enjoy it. Sorry but my english is poor.

Mercedes Benz 540 K Spezial Roadster 1/8

Build Photos

Mercedes Benz 540 K Spezial Roadster 1/8-8-2-jpg  Mercedes Benz 540 K Spezial Roadster 1/8-5-2-jpg  Mercedes Benz 540 K Spezial Roadster 1/8-7-2-jpg  Mercedes Benz 540 K Spezial Roadster 1/8-9-2-jpg  Mercedes Benz 540 K Spezial Roadster 1/8-10-2-jpg  Mercedes Benz 540 K Spezial Roadster 1/8-11-2-jpg  Mercedes Benz 540 K Spezial Roadster 1/8-16-2-jpg  Mercedes Benz 540 K Spezial Roadster 1/8-17-2-jpg  Mercedes Benz 540 K Spezial Roadster 1/8-19-2-jpg  Mercedes Benz 540 K Spezial Roadster 1/8-20-2-jpg  Mercedes Benz 540 K Spezial Roadster 1/8-21-2-jpg 

Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. markus68's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Markus
    Hello Don.
    Nickel-Silver is important for me because of the stability (for example 0,14mm) and the colour. You can mill , drill, soft solder or silver solder the Nickel-Silver. When you polish Nickel-Silver it looks a bit like stainless steel. Merry Christmas to you and your family to. Markus

QUOTE QUOTE #302

2. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Markus, for what are you using 0.14mm thick material in your construction? In mine, I used to have some 0.2mm for moldings or window's frames; I'm sometimes using 0.1mm but this material is very unstable. Most probably the nickel-silver material is more rigid than brass.
    QUOTE QUOTE #303

3. markus68's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Markus
    I`m using 0,14mm Nickel-Silver for the silencers for example.

QUOTE QUOTE #304

4. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    To avoid too much weight?
    QUOTE QUOTE #305

5. markus68's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Markus
    Less weight is a vantage and because of the colour.

QUOTE QUOTE #306

6. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Thank you Markus,

At my "day job" I am often the one who is asked at the last minute to make odd things, or things that no one knew we needed until assembly showed us the need.

A few days ago I was asked to make a small "dragging" tool. A simple enough request and I thought to make it out of aluminum, but this was too soft. All the scraps of steel were too thick, I have made these things out of acrylic Mercedes Benz 540 K Spezial Roadster 1/8 sheet, but the men who would be using my tool would clean it in solvent, so plastics were not the way to go, when on my break, I thought of nickel.

Reaching into my pocket I found two nickels, and for the cost of ten cents I was able to make the requested tools. I was very pleased with its workability and that it does not fill my files. It is easy to drill, cut and burnish, and I think I just fell in love.

I have ordered some sheets, and a bar or two, and plan on experimenting with it this holiday break. (A whole week to play in my shop! I'm looking forward to that!)

I enjoy learning materials, and techniques

Thank you again for all that you share!

-Don

PS- I just remembered that I wanted to suggest 12L14 Steel, for anyone that wants, or needs to work with steel. It is a "Leaded-Steel" , an alloy of Steel with Lead, and machines like Brass. It will rust if not protected, but that is true for most steels.

Just a suggestion.
    Last edited by MODEL A MODEL; 12-15-18 at 02:21 PM.
    -craftsmanship is a lifelong project of
    self-construction and self determination
    QUOTE QUOTE #307

7. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Quote Originally Posted by MODEL A MODEL View Post

I just remembered that I wanted to suggest 12L14 Steel, for anyone that wants, or needs to work with steel. It is a "Leaded-Steel" , an alloy of Steel with Lead, and machines like Brass.
    It could be what we call here "acier de décolletage" (sorry, I have no idea how it's called in German or English): a steel which is excellent to be worked on a lathe and for mass production. I had a few samples; the difference in behavior on the lathe, compared to a regular steel, is quite striking.
    QUOTE QUOTE #308

8. markus68's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Markus
    Is there a picture of your tool? Markus

QUOTE QUOTE #309

9. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Hello Markus!

Yes and no, I had taken pictures to accompany some text messages to other team members at work, but at the end of the week I deleted them. It was nothing special, what was special was my using nickel-silver.

I have already received some of what I have ordered and placed a larger order for some sheets and rods. -from ebay.

Online, of course! I found a good assortment from a supplier of knife making material. Jantz Knife Making Supplies Here in the states, (The Indian Territory called Oklahoma)

I am surprised to find little written up about the material, since it is obviously widely used in many fields. I guess its use is so much like brass that once used there seems to be no mystery to the user? (Interesting history to the name). -I will be planning a series of "workability" trials for myself, I have already taken a piece from rough sawn to polished and it really works very nicely! Need to try different machining, and joining techniques. I really love the look of it, and some of the heft. (It seems to me to be heavier than brass, I should be able to look that up,)

Thanks for the inspiration, I'll let you know next week how my lessons are going.

-Don

www.knifemaking.com
    Last edited by MODEL A MODEL; 12-17-18 at 11:16 AM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #310

10. markus68's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Markus
    Hello Don.
    Too bad, no picture. It interested me. German Silver is heavier than brass and the condition is more stable and i also like the look of it. Enjoy German-Silver
    Markus

QUOTE QUOTE #311

11. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Hello Markus,

I have been playing with the Nickle Silver, and I am liking it a lot. I did try a pressing with my hydraulic press and despite the thickness, it worked very well. I did anneal and anneal many times, but it does form very well. The part that I will be using Nickle Silver for is an instrument cluster for my Model A Ford. They were Nickle plated Mercedes Benz 540 K Spezial Roadster 1/8 , so it will save me from having to plate it later.

So, thank you for the suggestion.

Question? In your introduction, many years ago, you said that this is the first model in this scale for you? Have you been scratch building in other scales?
    Or other subjects? Planes, ships, or motorcycles?
    QUOTE QUOTE #312

12. happyfreddy's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    freddy
    Hi Markus,
    Great work so far ( same as Roger did )

How about that way to get chrome parts ?
    QUOTE QUOTE #313

13. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    I saw already that video. It could be something valuable, but I don't especially like to work with chemical products (wich may be illegal in Switzerland).

Did you try that?
    QUOTE QUOTE #314

14. markus68's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Markus
    To model a model: this is my first scratch building model car at all. I have built two extra ordinary model cars in scale 1/8 with lots of scratch parts. Porsche 911 and Ferrari F40.
    To happyfreddy: thanks. A very interesting.video.
    To Roger: i have tried to plate plastic parts and it worked well.

QUOTE QUOTE #315

15. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Interesting...With the method published by happyfreddy?
    QUOTE QUOTE #316