Close

Builder Last Online: Jun 2017 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  (1 votes - 5.00 average) Thanks: 2
      Started: 04-28-15 Build Revisions: Never  
      Supported Includes Transkit Restoration Attribution
      Build in Progress

Yes, they are complex, expensive, frustrating and ultimately rewarding.

I've been working on a pair of these models for about 25 years. They were given to me by a friend & colleague who told me "Build both of them and you can keep one". I took up the challenge, never thinking they would take this long. I didn't have the foresight to save the boxes but the parts have been safely stored over these many years. Both engines were substantially completed soon after I started them. All of the wheels have been "strung" and painted. The real challenge has been to try to make the bodies look presentable and working to eliminate as many of the visible non-scale fasteners as possible. These models are so big that they need to be sweetened and enhanced. As a car designer, I'm always looking at the reflections on cars, along with all of the details. So, off and on, I've spent a lot of time getting the bodywork looking good.

Anyway, fast forward to this time last year. I brought the Alfas to China with me to give me something to do in my spare time as an expat here in Shanghai. Looking for additional ways to enhance the cars, I stumbled upon Scale Motorcars and Doug's brass beauty. Studying what he had done, but resigned to the need to stick with replicating features in styrene Pocher Alfa Romeo 8C 2300 Long-term Build , I set to work. I'm not a rivet-counter so there are things in my build that are probably not fully accurate but make sense to me and how I imagine the original builders might have envisioned things back in the day. Although I got the models for free, I've invested a bit in some aftermarket components. Once complete, I hope these additions will take some of the "sting" out of the delay in delivering one of these to my friend.

The starting photos show the cars as they were a year ago. That sets the baseline for what is to come. I'll bring the build up to the present day with explanations of what has been done so far. I hope you enjoy my interpretation and look forward to hearing your views.

Cheers,
      Gordon

Build Photos

Pocher Alfa Romeo 8C 2300 Long-term Build-img_1354-jpg Pocher Alfa Romeo 8C 2300 Long-term Build-img_1360-jpg Pocher Alfa Romeo 8C 2300 Long-term Build-img_1362-jpg Pocher Alfa Romeo 8C 2300 Long-term Build-img_1348-jpg Pocher Alfa Romeo 8C 2300 Long-term Build-img_1352-jpg 

Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. amillego's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Gordon
    Pocher Alfa Romeo 8C 2300 Long-term Build
    I've been going through all of the components that I've already built and comparing them to work done by the excellent builders here in Scale Motorcars. They have provided great inspiration and motivation to get these two beasts done. So, I'll show a few of the items that I've upgraded and that are still under construction. Feel free to jump in and comment!
    Cheers,Gordon

I decided that the stock floor didn't look real enough, and when viewed from the bottom, it just didn't capture the feel of a real car. So I decided to scratch-build a new floor from styrene Pocher Alfa Romeo 8C 2300 Long-term Build . Taking a lesson from my showcar building days, I made a pattern from card stock and transferred it to sheet styrene Pocher Alfa Romeo 8C 2300 Long-term Build . A few bends, a couple more iterations and it was complete.
    Pocher Alfa Romeo 8C 2300 Long-term Build-dsc_0143-jpg

I added some square tube detailing with lightening holes drilled for a little more realism. I also cannibalized the stock floor for a few pieces as well. The two red strips will be the mounting pads for the oil tank. As you can see, I also drilled the frame cross members to lighten them.
    Pocher Alfa Romeo 8C 2300 Long-term Build-dsc_0178-2-jpgPocher Alfa Romeo 8C 2300 Long-term Build-dsc_0147-jpg

I fabricated the transmission hump from a syringe that I split lengthwise and added flat styrene Pocher Alfa Romeo 8C 2300 Long-term Build strips on either side on which I'll add simulated rivets later.
    Pocher Alfa Romeo 8C 2300 Long-term Build-dsc_0183-2-jpgPocher Alfa Romeo 8C 2300 Long-term Build-dsc_0185-jpg

I also wanted to make the oil tank look more realistic so I added brass screening. It will look great when the tank is painted. I also added new fittings where the oil lines enter and exit the tank. I plan to also add a flange to the base of the oil filler tube as well as a more lifelike cap. I saw an example that was done by a Harry Pristovnik on another site. He had a number of great solutions to making these Alfas better.
    Pocher Alfa Romeo 8C 2300 Long-term Build-dsc_0183-jpg

Last edited by amillego; 05-04-15 at 06:47 AM. Reason: Added content
    QUOTE QUOTE #2

2. Dougritt's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Douglas
    Hi Gordon...pristine styrene Pocher Alfa Romeo 8C 2300 Long-term Build work always impresses! I'm having fun on this ride....keep going!

Doug
    QUOTE QUOTE #3

3. amillego's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Gordon
    Thanks Doug, that means a ton coming from a master such as yourself.

I have been pushing forward on a few fronts. Trimmed the seats in real leather the other evening. After a few touch-ups (due to superglue fume leak-thru) the seats should look good. Also got a full coat of primer Pocher Alfa Romeo 8C 2300 Long-term Build on the chassis to see where it needed some tweaking. Not too much, that's good. Unfortunately, can't seem to upload any pix. I wonder if I've reached some limit.

Gordon

QUOTE QUOTE #4

4. amillego's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Gordon
    I've been away for quite a while but now that I've repatriated from China (for good), I thought I'd showcase more of what I've been up to on the Alfa twins. As always, advice is always welcome.

Pocher Alfa Romeo 8C 2300 Long-term Build-dsc_0065-jpgPocher Alfa Romeo 8C 2300 Long-term Build-dsc_0064-jpgPocher Alfa Romeo 8C 2300 Long-term Build-dsc_0077-jpg
    Additional pix of the modified oil tanks. New fittings as well as adding more realistic flange for the filler tube. Straight pins will be used to simulate bolt/rivet heads through the corners of the flange. These details, as well as adding the brass screening will greatly improve the realism of the end product.

Last edited by amillego; 10-21-16 at 03:35 PM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #5

5. amillego's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Gordon
    Pocher Alfa Romeo 8C 2300 Long-term Build-dsc_0003-jpg
    I decided to upholster the seats in real leather so this required separation from the body molding. Not too difficult with scribing Pocher Alfa Romeo 8C 2300 Long-term Build tool I picked up. Pocher Alfa Romeo 8C 2300 Long-term Build-dsc_0013-jpg
    In order to properly trim the seats, I then separated the back from the cushion.
    Pocher Alfa Romeo 8C 2300 Long-term Build-dsc_0039-jpgPocher Alfa Romeo 8C 2300 Long-term Build-dsc_0047-jpg
    I made patterns with masking Pocher Alfa Romeo 8C 2300 Long-term Build tape and then transferred the shapes to the leather, cutting away excess material so that the leather would go around the tight radii on the parts. Using super-glue, I applied the leather. Pix of trimmed seat parts later.

QUOTE QUOTE #6

6. amillego's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Gordon
    I wanted to make the rear horizontal body panels more realistic so I studied pictures of the actual cars and came up with this solution...
    Pocher Alfa Romeo 8C 2300 Long-term Build-dsc_0037_2-jpgPocher Alfa Romeo 8C 2300 Long-term Build-dsc_0041-jpgPocher Alfa Romeo 8C 2300 Long-term Build-dsc_0059_2-jpg
    I cut the horizontal extension panels away from the under tray. It appeared to me that these were separate parts on the real car. I then did the cutaway detail seen on some Alfas, and illustrated in the instructional CD that I had purchased, and added mounting flanges to the inboard edges. These will be installed using small straight pins to simulate bolt/rivet heads later.
    Pocher Alfa Romeo 8C 2300 Long-term Build-dsc_0034_2-jpgPocher Alfa Romeo 8C 2300 Long-term Build-dsc_0036_1-jpgPocher Alfa Romeo 8C 2300 Long-term Build-dsc_0032_2-jpgPocher Alfa Romeo 8C 2300 Long-term Build-dsc_0040-jpg
    Additionally, there are "fins" on the underside of the fuel tank section of the body. Studying photos of real Alfas, they appear to be sheet metal extensions of the rear boat-tail section of the body. I cut sheet styrene Pocher Alfa Romeo 8C 2300 Long-term Build to the approximate shape and blended them into the body, adding a small fillet of filler to give them additional strength on the underside.

QUOTE QUOTE #7

7. amillego's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Gordon
    Pocher Alfa Romeo 8C 2300 Long-term Build-dsc_0072-jpgPocher Alfa Romeo 8C 2300 Long-term Build-dsc_0073-jpgPocher Alfa Romeo 8C 2300 Long-term Build-dsc_0178_1-jpg
    I also modified the body so it would sit down better on the chassis. I used a procedure that I had seen in another builder's posts. In the end, I may simulate the actual body split in this area with a groove filed into the surface and than add the leather retaining straps shown in a photo I have of an actual car.

QUOTE QUOTE #8

8. Dougritt's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Douglas
    Very nice work using the existing seat and cutting into parts...looking forward to seeing the result. You may be the first I've seen to use the leather straps to hold body parts...love that detail! I may try that when building a brass body....thanks!
    QUOTE QUOTE #9

9. amillego's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Gordon
    Doug, thank you for the kind compliment on my solution for trimming the Alfa seats in leather. Here is a photo of the before and after...as well as during a test-fit.
    Pocher Alfa Romeo 8C 2300 Long-term Build-dsc_0083-jpgPocher Alfa Romeo 8C 2300 Long-term Build-dsc_0068-jpg

QUOTE QUOTE #10

10. The Finisher's Avatar Member
    Name
    Andy
    Wow !! I am speechless and now quite scared of starting my newly acquired Alfa 8c Coupe Elegant , thanks for the post .
    QUOTE QUOTE #11

11. southpier's Avatar Active Member
    Kit
    Pocher
    this is quite a double undertaking. it's good to see something getting done with the humble styrene Pocher Alfa Romeo 8C 2300 Long-term Build - gives hope to those of us without machinery or the skill to use it.

Q: when bonding the leather to plastic, which adhesive was used, full contact or in specific places, and how was the leather encouraged to conform to the form's shape?

thanks; following along.
    QUOTE QUOTE #12