Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
      Builder Last Online: Jun 2017 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  (1 votes - 5.00 average) Thanks: 3
      Started: 04-28-15 Build Revisions: Never  
      Supported Includes Transkit Restoration Attribution
      Build in Progress

Yes, they are complex, expensive, frustrating and ultimately rewarding.

I've been working on a pair of these models for about 25 years. They were given to me by a friend & colleague who told me "Build both of them and you can keep one". I took up the challenge, never thinking they would take this long. I didn't have the foresight to save the boxes but the parts have been safely stored over these many years. Both engines were substantially completed soon after I started them. All of the wheels have been "strung" and painted. The real challenge has been to try to make the bodies look presentable and working to eliminate as many of the visible non-scale fasteners as possible. These models are so big that they need to be sweetened and enhanced. As a car designer, I'm always looking at the reflections on cars, along with all of the details. So, off and on, I've spent a lot of time getting the bodywork looking good.

Anyway, fast forward to this time last year. I brought the Alfas to China with me to give me something to do in my spare time as an expat here in Shanghai. Looking for additional ways to enhance the cars, I stumbled upon Scale Motorcars and Doug's brass beauty. Studying what he had done, but resigned to the need to stick with replicating features in styrene Pocher Alfa Romeo 8C 2300 Long-term Build , I set to work. I'm not a rivet-counter so there are things in my build that are probably not fully accurate but make sense to me and how I imagine the original builders might have envisioned things back in the day. Although I got the models for free, I've invested a bit in some aftermarket components. Once complete, I hope these additions will take some of the "sting" out of the delay in delivering one of these to my friend.

The starting photos show the cars as they were a year ago. That sets the baseline for what is to come. I'll bring the build up to the present day with explanations of what has been done so far. I hope you enjoy my interpretation and look forward to hearing your views.

Cheers,
      Gordon

Pocher Alfa Romeo 8C 2300 Long-term Build

Build Photos

Pocher Alfa Romeo 8C 2300 Long-term Build-img_1354-jpg  Pocher Alfa Romeo 8C 2300 Long-term Build-img_1360-jpg  Pocher Alfa Romeo 8C 2300 Long-term Build-img_1362-jpg  Pocher Alfa Romeo 8C 2300 Long-term Build-img_1348-jpg  Pocher Alfa Romeo 8C 2300 Long-term Build-img_1352-jpg 

Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. Gordon's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Gordon
    Very nice work. Do you have more pix?
    QUOTE QUOTE #17

2. Jbdeerwood's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Jim
    Kit
    Pocher
    did you get much bleeding Pocher Alfa Romeo 8C 2300 Long-term Build of the CA through the leather?
    QUOTE QUOTE #18

3. Gordon's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Gordon
    I got some faint "fogging" from the adhesive but I plan to do a thin coat of semi-matte black paint over the leather to even it out.
    QUOTE QUOTE #19

4. Jbdeerwood's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Jim
    Kit
    Pocher
    I fixed/modified my oil tank also, but would like to know where the extra oil line is going, other wise I'm putting farer forward on the engine block?
    QUOTE QUOTE #20

5. Jbdeerwood's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Jim
    Kit
    Pocher
    I noticed on many of the 1930 - 1933, many of the racers put the spider fenders on and cut out the running boards. I am thinking of picking some of these fenders from parts and shaping then like these cars?
    QUOTE QUOTE #21

6. Jbdeerwood's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Jim
    Kit
    Pocher
    Sorry but many of the images do not show this bottom seat pattern, I am doing the one that has a T shape pillow between the drivers and car-like bottom pattern.
    QUOTE QUOTE #22

7. Gordon's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Gordon
    Pocher Alfa Romeo 8C 2300 Long-term Build-dsc_0048-jpgThis is the tape pattern on my removed cushion. I do not have a picture of it once removed and trimmed. If you check out the photos of the seatback, I believe you can get an idea of what to do.
    Pocher Alfa Romeo 8C 2300 Long-term Build-mvc-480f-jpg i found this picture in my reference files. It is not a Monza.
    I believe I shot it at the London Motor Show back in 1999. You can see the cushion divider clearly. I've seen other versions of this part elsewhere.
    QUOTE QUOTE #23

8. Pocherphile's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Rick
    Any updates on your build? Just a observation....but you mentioned fins under the boat tail of the Alfa. I believe what you are seeing is actually the bottom of
    the fuel cell! Looking forward to more of your build.
    Rick
    QUOTE QUOTE #24

9. Gordon's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Gordon
    Hi Rick,
    If you look closely at photos of actual cars, from the rear quarter, you can see that the body side panels extend downward behind the rear axle and form what appears to be a "fin". In one photo (I wish I could lay my hands on it), of a light blue one, the angle of view is quite acute and shows this part of the bodywork to be just a panel. The fuel cell lies behind it and above the level of the bottom of the bodywork. At least that's how I have interpreted the pictures on the two Alfas that I've been working on.
    QUOTE QUOTE #25

10. Jo NZ's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Jo
    I have wondered about the fins - I think it's just a profile to look like the original fuel tank. Take a look at a modern copy of the tank being made...

Pocher Alfa Romeo 8C 2300 Long-term Build-40-01_alfa_romeo_8c-02-jpg

Pocher Alfa Romeo 8C 2300 Long-term Build-fuel-tank6-jpg

You can see that the side dips lower than the chassis rail, and it's still part of the tank.

Here's the blue car you were looking for. I too have a better picture of the fin, but can't find it!

Pocher Alfa Romeo 8C 2300 Long-term Build-fin-tank-jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images Pocher Alfa Romeo 8C 2300 Long-term Build-ref-633-jpg 
    Last edited by Jo NZ; 03-30-18 at 11:44 PM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #26

11. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don

I could not remember who had been talking about the "fins". (Obviously I have), -well, here's a picture from below. Unfortunately I ave already zoomed in to get this far, so I don't think it will enlarge any further.

And there they are? -this is one of the PUR-SANG Monzas, are they replicating some feature of a car that was a one off Pocher Alfa Romeo 8C 2300 Long-term Build ? Does anybody have a guess as to the why of these?

-Don

(I have updated this picture as I found one in a slightly larger format.) -Don
    Last edited by MODEL A MODEL; 07-01-18 at 01:47 AM.
    -craftsmanship is a lifelong project of
    self-construction and self determination
    QUOTE QUOTE #27

12. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don

More obvious in the above picture, the sides of the fuel tank do appear to just drop to the sides and not roll under?

Last edited by MODEL A MODEL; 06-10-18 at 07:04 AM.
    -craftsmanship is a lifelong project of
    self-construction and self determination
    QUOTE QUOTE #28

13. Pocherphile's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Rick
    Looking forward to your next up date.
    Rick
    QUOTE QUOTE #29