Close

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
      Builder Last Online: Jan 2023 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  (3 votes - 5.00 average) Thanks: 8
      Started: 05-07-14 Build Revisions: Never  
      Supported Includes Transkit Attribution Scratch Built
      Translations Build in Progress

I used to work with some nice people who owned a model shop (Grand Prix Models) that sold Pocher kits. In the 1980s I built the Rolls Torpedo Cabriolet and the first Bugatti T50 as display models (where are they now?) and an Alfa Muletto for a customer. The Alfa was far and away the worst of the three - not surprisingly, as the kit was probably 20 years older than the Bugatti. I alway wanted to build a Pocher for myself, but have only recently got around to it, so I bought - you guessed it - The Alfa! I love the shape, and it's far enough away now to forget trying to wrestle the firewall into the chassis using all three hands.
      I discovered this forum while I was looking for an Alfa kit, and have taken on board the trials, tribulations and modifications made by all on the forum - with particular thanks to Dougritt, his thread really got me moving on the Alfa.

Basic starting point - I wanted to build one in Burgundy red with swept front wings but the Monza tail. This was (still is?) the target:

Pocher 1/8 Alfa Monza revisited-ref-337-jpg

Of course it will probably change through the build....

PS When selling the Pocher kits, we [I]always[/I] got asked what tools were needed to build it. The stock answer was - a small screwdriver - and a good Psychiatrist....

Pocher 1/8 Alfa Monza revisited
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.

1. Pouln's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Poul
    Congrats, Jo. Well earned I would say.
    Greetings,

Poul
    QUOTE QUOTE #92

2. ipcress's Avatar Member
    Looking wonderful. An outstanding job on this model!

Tony
    QUOTE QUOTE #93

3. Jo NZ's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Jo
    Thanks Tony!

QUOTE QUOTE #94

4. Jo NZ's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Jo
    Well....building the GT40, I found myself thinking about how to do things on the Alfa, so I've progressed a bit more, this time with the exhaust fittings...

To make the shield, I spent a lot of time cutting tubing in half and silver soldering to a piece of sheet brass to lengthen one side. I was reshaping it over a drill bit when I realised that as it was already annealed it bent easily and I could have made the whole thing from sheet brass. Still, I was pleased to find that I can butt joint 0.4mm brass sheet!

Pocher 1/8 Alfa Monza revisited-img_2176-jpg

Pocher 1/8 Alfa Monza revisited-img_2178-jpg

Most of the shields have a reinforcing strip around the edge. I made this from 0.8mm copper wire, lightly hammered to put a flat on it, and then bent to shape

Pocher 1/8 Alfa Monza revisited-img_2179-jpg

The wire was soft soldered on, the shield trimmed and reinforcing plates made

Pocher 1/8 Alfa Monza revisited-img_2180-jpg

I cut an angle on the end of the Pocher exhaust pipe, and thinned down the wall thickness

Pocher 1/8 Alfa Monza revisited-img_2183-jpg

I'd made a clamp for it, like this one

Pocher 1/8 Alfa Monza revisited-ref-35-jpg

Then I fitted it and didn't like the fit to the brass manifold

Pocher 1/8 Alfa Monza revisited-img_2184-jpg

So I made a new pipe, and a new clamp

Pocher 1/8 Alfa Monza revisited-img_2186-jpg

Pocher 1/8 Alfa Monza revisited-img_2191-jpg

Pocher 1/8 Alfa Monza revisited-img_2192-jpg

Pocher 1/8 Alfa Monza revisited-img_2193-jpg

I'll finally size the clamp when the exhaust pipe is painted

Pocher 1/8 Alfa Monza revisited-img_2194-jpg

More fun than a plastic kit, even if it is a GT40....

QUOTE QUOTE #95

5. markus68's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Markus
    Nice work. Regards Markus
    QUOTE QUOTE #96

6. IanHenry's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Ian
    Fantastic work, this is simply inspiring.

Regards,
    Ian
    QUOTE QUOTE #97

7. Jo NZ's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Jo
    Thanks Marcus and Ian. I'd like to point out that I got inspired by this forum in the first place. I have learnt so much by just trying things. If I'm paying it forward, that's great!

QUOTE QUOTE #98

8. Gordon's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Gordon
    Outstanding work Jo. I'm looking forward to getting back to my pair of Alfas soon.
    QUOTE QUOTE #99

9. Jo NZ's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Jo
    Thanks Gordon. I think doing all this twice, as you are, would be beyond me! (although I still have plans for another Alfa, with full wings and doors - a future project)

Here's the top mount for the spare wheel. There are several variations on this, the period cars just had the top strap rivetted to the top of the body, in front of the fly screen. Mine acts as a buffer and also locates the strap.

Pocher 1/8 Alfa Monza revisited-img_2199-jpg

Pocher 1/8 Alfa Monza revisited-img_2200-jpg

Pocher 1/8 Alfa Monza revisited-img_2202-jpg

Pocher 1/8 Alfa Monza revisited-img_2201-jpg

QUOTE QUOTE #100

10. Jo NZ's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Jo
    Some more body furniture:

I used one of the aftermarket etch kits for the fly-screen frame. It doesn't have any location points, so I nearly gave up and made the frame from scratch using channel. However, after a bit of head scratching I made an aluminum former to clamp the pieces to. I was a little concerned that the ally would be too much of a heat sink, but with a 40W iron it soldered fine (using Carrs Black flux as it's stainless not nickel).

Pocher 1/8 Alfa Monza revisited-img_2203-jpg

The glazing in the kit had flow marks and ripples on it. I sanded it flat and then worked back up to 12000 grit paper to get the shine back. It looks better but needs more work.
    The screen is much closer to the edge of the cockpit than in the kit (see the filled holes above the centre of the spare wheel for the original position). Supports for the screen are varied - I haven't found two the same, so made a "generic" pair. The bases of the brackets still need trimming. The 1mm studding is only temporary, I have some thumbscrews from the etch kit to fit to each side.

Pocher 1/8 Alfa Monza revisited-img_2216-jpg

Pocher 1/8 Alfa Monza revisited-img_2217-jpg

The passenger grab handle is made from rod and tube, soft soldered together. I'm not sure how I'm going to drill the 1mm nuts for wire locking....

Pocher 1/8 Alfa Monza revisited-img_2224-jpg

Pocher 1/8 Alfa Monza revisited-img_2221-jpg

Pocher 1/8 Alfa Monza revisited-img_2223-jpg

I've back up the seat with basswood, stained with teak colour, so as to hide the red plastic of the underside of the seat. It's difficult to see the under seat part of the panel from outside the cockpit, but I know it's there... It also fills in a gap under the seat. I haven't come across any reference to the rear floor on the Monza (i.e. behind the crossmember) although some (not all) seem to have battery/storage boxes. I've decided to make an external battery box mounted to the left side of the chassis, and not fit the between chassis boxes.
    ...And this is probably a good time to say that my preference for the finished model has changed - this will be finished in the style of the 1932 Targa Florio winner (Nuvolari) - no mudguards - as many of the Monzas race today. The 1932 Mille Miglia winner (with wings) will be another project. I've put so much detail into this I don't really want to hide it! I've also discovered what I can leave alone on an Alfa with a full body...

Pocher 1/8 Alfa Monza revisited-img_2212-jpg

Pocher 1/8 Alfa Monza revisited-img_2214-jpg

QUOTE QUOTE #101

11. Jo NZ's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Jo
    I'm not sure what the assembly of pipe fittings on top of the fuel tank is, but it looks like this:

Pocher 1/8 Alfa Monza revisited-ref-734-jpg

It can be brass, chromed or painted, depending on the individual car. I've made it from various bits of rod and tube, and two 1-72 Pocher 1/8 Alfa Monza revisited nuts

Pocher 1/8 Alfa Monza revisited-img_2232-jpg

Pocher 1/8 Alfa Monza revisited-img_2234-jpg

Pocher 1/8 Alfa Monza revisited-img_2236-jpg

QUOTE QUOTE #102

12. Jo NZ's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Jo
    another small part - the buckle for the spare wheel restraint

Pocher 1/8 Alfa Monza revisited-img_2254-jpg

Pocher 1/8 Alfa Monza revisited-img_2255-jpg

Pocher 1/8 Alfa Monza revisited-img_2257-jpg

Pocher 1/8 Alfa Monza revisited-img_2259-jpg

Pocher 1/8 Alfa Monza revisited-img_2261-jpg

Does anybody know of a supplier for thin leather - I don't need much, and I'm reluctant to shell out $50 just for 3 straps....

QUOTE QUOTE #103

13. ipcress's Avatar Member
    A fine ladies glove will yield plenty of very thin, fine grained leather. Ask a relative or try Goodwill, antiques shop, even a lost & found.

Good luck, and congratulations on the superb job you're doing.

Tony
    QUOTE QUOTE #104

14. Jo NZ's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Jo
    The fuel filler cap: every picture I have shows slight differences between cars: I decided to make this one

Pocher 1/8 Alfa Monza revisited-ref-734-jpg

The correct shape was machined from the kit part. A tube silver soldered into the thread gives something to hold it with in the lathe, and also locates it in the body.

Pocher 1/8 Alfa Monza revisited-img_2263-jpg

Bits and pieces soldered on - the hinge, handle and release latch

Pocher 1/8 Alfa Monza revisited-img_2282-jpg

Pocher 1/8 Alfa Monza revisited-img_2283-jpg

Fitted to the tank

Pocher 1/8 Alfa Monza revisited-img_2284-jpg

Pocher 1/8 Alfa Monza revisited-img_2286-jpg

All it needs now is a polish and nickel plate.

QUOTE QUOTE #105

15. Jo NZ's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Jo
    I'm slowly working my way around all the parts that attach to the body, so that when the weather improves I can spray and assemble it. Having securely glued the front bulkhead to the body (firstly to avoid the join line, and also to stiffen the body after removing the seat) I had an interesting problem with the front kickboard (where the pedals are). It's made from the same decorative angle as the floor. As the pieces aren't wide enough for the whole kickboard, I needed to split it somewhere. I chose across the pedals, thinking that I could assemble the halves around the pedals. I've tried it.... I may have to make a special tool to get it together, or alternatively mount it in the body and add the pedals later. Either way involves something clever, with a long reach!

Pocher 1/8 Alfa Monza revisited-img_2289-jpg

Pocher 1/8 Alfa Monza revisited-img_2291-jpg

Pocher 1/8 Alfa Monza revisited-img_2292-jpg

QUOTE QUOTE #106