Close

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10
      Builder Last Online: Oct 2019 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  (2 votes - 5.00 average) Thanks: 8
      Started: 05-07-14 Build Revisions: Never  
      Supported Includes Transkit Attribution Scratch Built
      Translations Build in Progress

I used to work with some nice people who owned a model shop (Grand Prix Models) that sold Pocher kits. In the 1980s I built the Rolls Torpedo Cabriolet and the first Bugatti T50 as display models (where are they now?) and an Alfa Muletto for a customer. The Alfa was far and away the worst of the three - not surprisingly, as the kit was probably 20 years older than the Bugatti. I alway wanted to build a Pocher for myself, but have only recently got around to it, so I bought - you guessed it - The Alfa! I love the shape, and it's far enough away now to forget trying to wrestle the firewall into the chassis using all three hands.
      I discovered this forum while I was looking for an Alfa kit, and have taken on board the trials, tribulations and modifications made by all on the forum - with particular thanks to Dougritt, his thread really got me moving on the Alfa.

Basic starting point - I wanted to build one in Burgundy red with swept front wings but the Monza tail. This was (still is?) the target:

Pocher 1/8 Alfa Monza revisited-ref-337-jpg

Of course it will probably change through the build....

PS When selling the Pocher kits, we [I]always[/I] got asked what tools were needed to build it. The stock answer was - a small screwdriver - and a good Psychiatrist....

Pocher 1/8 Alfa Monza revisited
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. Jbdeerwood's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Jim
    also, on many of these racer there are 3 louvers on the drivers side upper couling, if you made 3 louvers on a square piece to replace the same square of plastic removed from the couling it covers an area that many modeler have left out/not done. (not me)
    QUOTE QUOTE #137

2. Jo NZ's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Jo
    Quote Originally Posted by Jbdeerwood View Post
    also, on many of these racer there are 3 louvers on the drivers side upper couling, if you made 3 louvers on a square piece to replace the same square of plastic removed from the couling it covers an area that many modeler have left out/not done. (not me)
    I had thought that the 3 louvres were only on some of the Monzas - but a great many seem to have them! My go-to reference if I need a decision is the 1932 Nuvolari Targa Florio car - and as far as I can see, it doesn't have them (nor does it have deflector "wings" behind the front wheels) Does anyone know better?

Here's the Nuvolari car...

Pocher 1/8 Alfa Monza revisited-31nuvolari-jpg

Jo

Pocher 1/8 Alfa Monza revisited
    QUOTE QUOTE #138

3. Jbdeerwood's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Jim
    [h=1]TAZIO NUVOLARI SBANDATA CONTROLLATA "DRIFTING" a utube item which show 3 louvres behind the wind screen, with Targa sitting in the car, about 1931 or 1933; I can't get a smaller font?[/h]
    QUOTE QUOTE #139

4. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Hay Jo, I saved up my pennies and bought the three volume Simon Moore monster!

There Mr Moore documents the different series of 2300s. Beyond long, short and Monza.

Some of the earliest Monzas did not have the surrounding slots on the radiator shell.

Its going to take me a while to digest these books.

In the least the end papers show the chassis blueprints with legible dimensions!
    QUOTE QUOTE #140

5. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    In volume two there is a photograph of a Monza that has rolled.

Not super clear, but it show the dirt shields around the engine and clear enough image of the fuel tank fins.

Jens asked if those might be a Zagato design? Iím beginning to think that they are.
    QUOTE QUOTE #141