Close

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
      Builder Last Online: Apr 2018 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/12 Rating:  Thanks: 3
      Started: 04-17-14 Build Revisions: Never  
      Supported Attribution Scratch Built Translations
      Build in Progress

For the last year or so I've been working on a 1/12 scale Tucker 48. I have been collecting information and taking pictures of Tuckers for years and was hoping one of the model manufacturers would make a kit. The Modelhaus has a curbside resin Scratchbuilt Tucker 48 in 1/12 scale kit but I wanted to build something with significantly more details. Here's a picture of an actual Tucker, courtesy of Wikipedia:

This is my first scratchbuilt model although I have been making scratchbuilt detail parts for my models for years. Much of my time has been spent making drawings of the parts/assemblies and I'm not finished with that stage yet. I was anxious to build something so I started making parts as the drawings were completed. I am currently working on the chassis/suspension but have finished the wheels, tires and engine. I suspect I have another year of work

I'm working on building a "production vehicle" rather than fully copying one of the 51 prototypes so I can use a little "artistic license" when I can't get perfect data on some details. In taking pictures of various Tuckers and searching the web I have found that no two of them are exactly alike.
      I owe a debt of gratitude to Dick's Classic Garage, the owners of Tucker 51, for their kindness in allowing me to take many pictures of their Tucker on display. I couldn't have gotten this far without those pictures.
      The wheels are two parts made from PVC plumbing Scratchbuilt Tucker 48 in 1/12 scale plugs because I found the dimensions to be almost perfect. I turned five copies on my 7x10 lathe.
      This is my tire master turned on my lathe. I used the same techniques to make the master as I've read others using in the forum except I used Ultralight Sculpey Polymer Clay as the material. This is a picture of the master after I added my homemade photoetched Scratchbuilt Tucker 48 in 1/12 scale letters for the sidewalls. The tires are somewhat generic and are not perfect matches for Firestone tires. From this I made a silicone mold and cast a copy that I then cleaned up, particularly on the letters and edge of the tread. From that I made a second silicone mold and cast five tires.
      Here are two of the tires with the wheels assembled and hubcaps in place. I made the hubcaps by turning a die on my lathe from another PVC plumbing Scratchbuilt Tucker 48 in 1/12 scale plug and used a vice and sheet rubber to stamp the caps from thin aluminum. I have made decals for the center crests but they haven't been added yet.

The drivetrain was a lot of fun but also very challenging. The basic block of the engine and transmission are Sculpey Polymer clay that I baked and then machined on my Proxxon Mill. The heads, manifolds, etc. are all separate pieces. The pulleys and accessories are turned from aluminum, brass and plastic or hand carved. The 'Tucker' letters on the intake manifold were cut from thick cardstock, a mold made from silicone and then cast in Ultralight Sculpey and glued to the manifolds. This looked more realistic than my first attempt at using photoetched Scratchbuilt Tucker 48 in 1/12 scale parts. Here are several views of the drivetrain. Note that no purchased parts were used on this model to date other than raw materials such as plastic tubing, wire, sheet metal, metal rods, etc.

Hope you enjoy seeing my progress as much as I've enjoyed the progress of other models on the forum. This is a really great community and I've learned a lot from reading the posts.
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. Dougritt's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Douglas
    This is really fun to see. I have not considered using Sculpey...clever!
    QUOTE QUOTE #2

2. spinellid82's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    David
    I love Tuckers and the story behind them. I only wish it would have had a different ending. I got to sit behind the wheel of (I think it was) #47 many years ago, even had a pic of it but who knows what happened to it over time. This is an excellent subject and your work so far is awesome! Please keep posting progress, I'm gonna like this one!
    USMC, Retired

Evil prevails when good men stand idle.
    QUOTE QUOTE #3

3. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Replicating a Tucker is a difficult task; it seems that you are on the right way! I like the way you did your tires; photo etching can do wonders!
    QUOTE QUOTE #4

4. spinellid82's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    David
    any progress? i'm kinda jonesing as I can't do anything on my build.
    USMC, Retired

QUOTE QUOTE #5

5. ScaleMotorcars's Avatar Administrator
    Name
    Daniel
    Cant wait to see more.
    QUOTE QUOTE #6

6. MiataTexan's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Michael
    I've been sick the last few weeks and my house is having foundation work done this week so I don't have much progress for the last month. I have built the front suspension and am almost finished with the rear suspension arms. I'll post some pics soon of that work.

Thanks for the nice comments.
    Michael

Scratchbuilt Tucker 48 in 1/12 scale
    QUOTE QUOTE #7

7. belugawhaleman's Avatar Member
    Name
    paul
    Very nice so far. I will be following this with interest.
    QUOTE QUOTE #8

8. MiataTexan's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Michael
    I finally got some time to take some pictures of my progress. The Tucker 48 used a rubber suspension with very small shocks. I tried to replicate that as closely as I could from plastic and aluminum and still be strong enough to hold the model up. I still need to touch up the paint in some areas. Here is the rear suspension as seen from the bottom. I have made the half-shafts but I'm not ready to install the engine just yet so those will have to wait.
    Scratchbuilt Tucker 48 in 1/12 scale-rear_suspension-jpg

And the front suspension from the bottom.
    Scratchbuilt Tucker 48 in 1/12 scale-front_suspension-jpg

I wanted to see how the chassis looked with the wheels so here it is mocked up. The stance looks correct to my pictures and measurements but we'll see once I get the body made...
    Scratchbuilt Tucker 48 in 1/12 scale-chassis_mockup-jpg

And finally here is a picture with the engine placed in the cradle. I want to finish the brake details before mounting it permanently with the half-shafts. I'm now working on the body drawings so it may be a while before I have anything else to show. It has been fun so far.
    Scratchbuilt Tucker 48 in 1/12 scale-engine_chassis_mockup-jpg

QUOTE QUOTE #9

9. spinellid82's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    David
    Looks great man!
    USMC, Retired

QUOTE QUOTE #10

10. Tage's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Daniel
    Outstanding work, keep it up.
    Duke of Burl
    QUOTE QUOTE #11

11. MiataTexan's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Michael
    Scratchbuilt Tucker 48 in 1/12 scale-wiper_blades-jpgI haven't been able to model much the last few months but now I'm back into the Tucker. For years I've wanted to get a 3d printer for making models and finally splurged and bought a Printrbot Simple Metal kit. Here are the first model parts I've designed and printed. I figured the wiper blades would push the limits of the printer on the small side so I wanted to see how they came out. Not perfect but I'm pleased with them. There is an intentional notch on the top that mates to a pin on the wiper arm that is easy to see on one of them in the picture. I haven't printed the arms yet.

QUOTE QUOTE #12

12. broadspeed's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    michel
    very nice work i bet the 3d printer is making work a lot easier
    keep up the great work :-)
    QUOTE QUOTE #13

13. MiataTexan's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Michael
    Here are the front fenders I designed and printed. They have had the surface sanded, filled and primered. There is a little more filling and sanding Scratchbuilt Tucker 48 in 1/12 scale to do but I will probably wait until I have assembled more of the body and do that all at one time. The picture is a little dark. The hard part of 3D printing is not the printing itself but the designing of the parts. Compound curves, such as the entire Tucker body, are really tough to do well. At least for an amateur like me. Printing the body parts in 6 inch (150 mm) sections requires some careful design, too. Having fun with it though.Scratchbuilt Tucker 48 in 1/12 scale-front_fenders-jpg

QUOTE QUOTE #14

14. Bucket T's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Dennis
    Tucker is a car I've always liked & I believe had it been left alone would have been one of our cars today.
    The build is going good, looks good & is good to watch. Thanks for sharing Michael.
    Denny
    QUOTE QUOTE #15