Close

Alfa Monza
Goal amount for this year: 518 USD, Received: 295.00 USD (57%)
Scalemotorcars is a free and open community devoted to scale modeling. The heart and soul of Scalemotorcars is our global community of over 10,000+ contributors, millions of readers, and donors like yourself all united to share unlimited access to reliable information. Your donations keep Scalemotorcars freely available to everyone.

This years bandwidth costs, hosting service, domain registration, software licensing fees, and maintenance cost have a balance of $518 due by the end of August. Please help us keep Scalemotorcars growing by making a donation today.
Thank you.

Alfa Monza Alfa Monza Alfa Monza Alfa Monza Alfa Monza
Accepted Payment Types

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Alfa Monza

Builder Last Online: Aug 2014 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  Thanks: 0
      Started: 08-13-06 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

Thought I would try a Pocher after just returning to the model hobby after many years and experimenting with a few small-scale models. For the price, I think they leave a lot to be desired but after finding this site I think maybe I can figure out ways to make the Alfa Monza I am building less of an Erector Set and more of a detailed miniature display model. I am learning a lot by looking through this site. Thanks for inviting me aboard Dan.

Alfa Monza

Build Photos

Alfa Monza-angle-chassis-jpg 

Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. ScaleMotorcars's Avatar Administrator
    Name
    Daniel
    How about a Pic of the dash when your done. :D

Just looked at the unit on ebay and that looks fine. Only thing I would suggest is to add a tank. I don't know if that compressor offered has a steady output or not. If not its kind of like spitting at the car. :o You can make a cheap air tank from an old Propane tank. A few fancy fittings on top and your all set. Pump up the tank and use it as your air supply. Maybe a cheap in-line water trap also available at any home depot. About $5.00

Biggest thing to remember about an airbrush Alfa Monza is to clean it out after your done. Take out the needle and make sure everything stays clean. If you do that even a cheap model should last for years.
    QUOTE QUOTE #17

2. ScaleMotorcars's Avatar Administrator
    Name
    Daniel
    Oops forgot.:o The metal has allot of silver in it so your right it will fade with age. Clear coat Alfa Monza or go old-school and use a little linseed oil and let dry.
    QUOTE QUOTE #18

3. sydeem's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Sydney
    All other problems pale to the misfit of the body to the firewall. I did not do a good job of checking this early on.

The hood seems to fit fine to the fire wall but the body is 2mm off. I either should make a 2mm high styreen wedge between the frame and body starting at the fire wall and gently slope back or live with the off set. What is the normal solution?

Thanks for the airbruse info.

Alfa Monza
    QUOTE QUOTE #19

4. sydeem's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Sydney
    Dan - pic of dashboard you requested.

As far as the firewall/body fit - OK - so I ignored Paul Koos sugestion to cut down the firewall. I guess I was just hoping the problem would go away. Sometimes I just don't care to see a problem.

Firewall cut to size (which is why dashboard isn't mounted) and airbrush Alfa Monza ordered.

Alfa Monza
    Attached Images Attached Images Alfa Monza-dashboard-jpg 
    QUOTE QUOTE #20

5. ScaleMotorcars's Avatar Administrator
    Name
    Daniel
    Paul's way works. I glue the firewall to the body and cut out whats out of place. Also allows to ditch those funky bolts and trim in the hood correctly. Also attach the dash support to the bottom (don't mind the brass) , cut out the seat and glue the tail to the body and ditch the mounting hardware. Drilled out all the cast rivets (re-spaced) and installed metal round head pins (you can also install a straight pin to wind your safety wire on) Builders preference..... Anyway heres an old body I did about a year ago.
    Attached Images Attached Images Alfa Monza-dsc03951-jpg  Alfa Monza-dsc03952-jpg  Alfa Monza-dsc03953-jpg 
    QUOTE QUOTE #21

6. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    All I can see is a cool street rod....Hmmmmmmmmm.
    Grandpa McGurk.....Steppin' Large and Livin' easy.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #22

7. sydeem's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Sydney
    Oh, so thats how you do it! Actually Paul had the prep work in detail on his CD. I just started wrong and got tangled up more than once because of it.

I like the straight pin idea - hadn't thought of that. Now to find some really fine wire.

Is the Alfa Moza so inexpensive (if $400 is inexpense to you guys) because of the body fit?

Do all Pocher bodies require so much fit rework? Not that I can afford the Mercedes but they sure look nice.

Alfa Monza
    QUOTE QUOTE #23

8. ScaleMotorcars's Avatar Administrator
    Name
    Daniel
    You know its really just because theres more of them out there. Lower production on the coupes brings the prices out of sight but the body still doesn't fit right. :D The Bugatti is about as good as they got for fit. Then the Mercedes and the rolls and Alfa are about the same. Also Ive noticed older kits tend to be a little better in quality and fit then the later versions also for example the early Alfa friction shocks had a better mount then later models and a few other minor improved details that got lost.

Like I said before Paul does a good joy showing you how to built a nice "Kit" car. Nothing really out of the normal. The body here is more in lines with scratch building. Panels removed or added the seat taken out so it could be covered in leather, dashed moved up to fit the contour of the cowl and so on. Like someone else mentioned since your going though the trouble of replacing bolts you might as well go all out. Its going to take longer but you get to enjoy the process more and I think you'll be happier with the end result. :D :D :D
    QUOTE QUOTE #24

9. sydeem's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Sydney
    Geez Dan - If I understand how these personal galleries work you seem to have built every Pocher they made (and some more than once). Did you make a business of it?

Thanks for the Pancake tach, putty Alfa Monza drying right now for the back side gear housing. Further along with the engine now. Still work to do with the exhaust. Those cam cover breathers were great. Look so much better than the Pocher ones.

Alfa Monza
    Attached Images Attached Images Alfa Monza-alfa-engine-jpg 
    QUOTE QUOTE #25

10. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    BEAUTEEEEful. The detail on those parts is exceptional. No wonder why those kits are so expensive. I just wish they made some American classics like cars from the 40's or 50's.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #26

11. ScaleMotorcars's Avatar Administrator
    Name
    Daniel
    Boy I wish :D No most of all the models in the gallery are from builders and members all over the word. Ive been collecting the pic's for years and when we went to the new gallery I had to upload them there, The old gallery was better about credit for each and I still have the info but havent gotten to it yet.

As for a busniss I sure am trying. Its slow to start but coming along nicely with all the great help Im getting from members. With everyone doing thier small parts its going to get big. l:

Glad you like the parts. Allot more to come once I'm in NC.:D
    QUOTE QUOTE #27

12. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    I hope so, Dan.:) I'll have a few parts to send you. I'm doing an S.Co.T. blower, different manifolds for superchargers and more dash boards. By the time you get moved, they should be ready to send out. I'm making those parts for my T bucket and if they look good, they get done again for masters.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #28

13. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! Does his mean we have good taste?:D Or is it that SMC just tries a little bit harder to get you guys what you want?
    Grandpa McGurk.....Steppin' Large and Livin' easy.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #29

14. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    We run the extra quarter mile in record time to get the parts to Yoooo.
    QUOTE QUOTE #30

15. sydeem's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Sydney
    Ooops - Dan, you forgot to tell me that "you can also install a straight pin to wind your safety wire" exceeds level 2 difficulty. I didn't have a small enough drill for the pins so tried the soldering iron press technique with less than desirable results. Didn't realize how hard it would be to hold the pin and apply a little pressure without slipping off. You can see I bounced on the plastic a couple of times. The body top will be easier but I am still apprehensive because any slips there will be obvious.

Alfa Monza
    Attached Images Attached Images Alfa Monza-wired-screws-jpg 
    QUOTE QUOTE #31