Close

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
      Builder Last Online: Dec 2013 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  Thanks: 0
      Started: 05-13-06 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

The Satin Doll is a 1931 Rolls-Royce Phantom II Continental Fixed Head Coupe. The chassis, engine block and wheels are from the Pocher Sedanca kit. The body, interior, trunk, toolkit, all exterior light fixtures and most of the engine components are scratch-built

I took her to the IPMS The Satin Doll - 1931 RR Fixed Head Coupe Regional Competition earlier today and took these pictures and thought I'd put them up here.

She's a one-of-a-kind and, as of today, retired from competition.

Andy.

Build Photos

The Satin Doll - 1931 RR Fixed Head Coupe-dscn5051-jpg  The Satin Doll - 1931 RR Fixed Head Coupe-dscn5052-jpg  The Satin Doll - 1931 RR Fixed Head Coupe-dscn5053-jpg  The Satin Doll - 1931 RR Fixed Head Coupe-dscn5054-jpg  The Satin Doll - 1931 RR Fixed Head Coupe-dscn5055-jpg  The Satin Doll - 1931 RR Fixed Head Coupe-dscn5056-jpg  The Satin Doll - 1931 RR Fixed Head Coupe-dscn5057-jpg 

Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.

1. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Awesome!:d :d :d How long did she take to build Andy?
    Grandpa McGurk.....Steppin' Large and Livin' easy.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #2

2. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Outstanding Andy. The work is absolutely sterling and first rate.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #3

3. Rick's Avatar Member
    Name
    Rick
    WOW!!

Andy, can you tell us more and show us more photo's about scratchbuilding the body etc? Its builders like you that we can all learn from.

Thanks for shareing your work with us!

Rick
    QUOTE QUOTE #4

4. Gluhead's Avatar Update Profile Please
    That's a beauty, Andy! Yes pics of the build please...

What IPMS The Satin Doll - 1931 RR Fixed Head Coupe Regional? I thought that was in Feb?

Glu
    [FONT=Arial]Once around the Sun, cruising, climbing. Jupiter cyclops winks at me, yeah, he knows who's driving. Hit neutral in the tail of a comet. Let the vortex pull my weight. Push the seat back a little lower. Watch light bend in the blower. Planets align. A king is born. Dodge Swinger. Jesus on the dashboard.[/FONT]
    QUOTE QUOTE #5

5. Quote Originally Posted by Gluhead
    That's a beauty, Andy! Yes pics of the build please...

What IPMS The Satin Doll - 1931 RR Fixed Head Coupe Regional? I thought that was in Feb?

Glu
    Glu and others go here for pics of the build:
    http:collectionatcarriagehouse.com/RRK72/index.html

hope you don't mind Andy?
    QUOTE QUOTE #6

6. Andym's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Andy
    She took 1800 hours over two years. I put together a 200 page (300 color photos) journal detailing the entire process of putting The Satin Doll together. The journal is not currently on my web site, but can be accessed at this web address:

http://www.collectionatcarriagehouse...K72/RRJrnl.htm

Andy.

P.S. Yesterday, May 13, 2006, was the IPMS The Satin Doll - 1931 RR Fixed Head Coupe Region IV Competition held this year in Toledo, Ohio. There were close to 700 models in attendance and they were stunning.

I'll be posting a gallery of about 100 shots from the show on my web site in the coming few weeks.

The Satin Doll - 1931 RR Fixed Head Coupe
    When I was young I used to say "[I]When I grow up I'm going to be somebody!"
    [/I]
    I now realize I should have been more specific.
    QUOTE QUOTE #7

7. Rick's Avatar Member
    Name
    Rick
    Andy

Please let us know when you post the pic's and where your web site is. The construction shots and description is a fascinating read. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Rick
    QUOTE QUOTE #8

8. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Thanks for sure Andy. We really appreciate you taking the time to share your photos and input here with us. Some of us old shade tree The Satin Doll - 1931 RR Fixed Head Coupe mechanics get so wound up in "rods" that we forget how beautiful the "classics" are. The Satin Doll is pure art in every sense of the word.:)
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #9

9. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Ditto on that one. We all can learn alot from the classics.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #10

10. Andym's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Andy
    I used to think that there was a difference. Now I don't really think there is. I think that the classics have a certain panache about them because of the prices they demand and the venues where they appear.

But in truth, when Cary Grant and Clarke Gable asked the Duesenberg brothers to drop a 320hp Supercharged J (Hemi by the way) into a short 125" chassis, that was a hot The Satin Doll - 1931 RR Fixed Head Coupe rod of its day. Same thing when Jean Bugatti decided to supercharge the Type 57 and shorten the chassis to create the 57SC. I don't know that Joseph Figoni is any different that Boyd Coddington or Chip Foose. They are artists who paint in automotive textures. They pick from a pallet of engines, bodies, interiors and colors to create mechanized art.

Truth be told, it's not the Ford GT or Viper that's going to be on the lawn at Pebble Beach in 2050. It's going to the original Boydster and the Fooserati.

I have to admit that I used to be a classic car snob. But when I saw the work of Posies and Pinkees and then got a chance to get to really know Chip Foose and George Barris, I came to realize that the shapes have changed, but the passion, creativity and exclusivity of a good rod today is not much different than and good Delahaye of yesterday.

And one final thought. The Rolls-Royce Phantom II Continental featured an exhaust cut-off that the driver could use the open up the engine and get a little more oomph out of the old girl. It was truly the Rolls-Royce Hot The Satin Doll - 1931 RR Fixed Head Coupe Rod of the day. ;)

[/I]
    QUOTE QUOTE #11

11. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    There ya go. Andy, sounds like you appreciate automotive art regardless of what's politically correct. Cool!!!!:D
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #12

12. Andym's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Andy
    I gotta be honest Grandpa - there's something very special about the Hot The Satin Doll - 1931 RR Fixed Head Coupe rod events. Don't get me wrong, I think the concours at Pebble Beach and Meadow Brook Hall are wonderful events; and they are important events.

But there's just something about a rod show that is pure fun. At Pebble, nobody talks too loud. Nobody runs anywhere. The burgers are $10 and they don't sell beer - only champaign and martinis. At the Hot The Satin Doll - 1931 RR Fixed Head Coupe Rod Shows though, people are just enjoying the people. There's a competition sure enough, but it doesn't seem to be so much about winning as much as it is about just being there. I love that. You can't tell the spectators from the car owners and that's a beautiful thing.

Last year's GoodGuys show in Columbus really effected me. Ever since then, all I've wanted to do was build Enzo's Revenge. And all i've studied are classic hot The Satin Doll - 1931 RR Fixed Head Coupe rods. It's opened up a whole new automotive universe to me.

And for a guy who has spent his life studying the great cars of the classic era, this is a really wild universe. And I love it.

Andy.

[/I]
    QUOTE QUOTE #13

13. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Welcome aboard...plenty of room for everyone. Enjoy yourself, rods are all about havin' fun and making new friends.:D
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #14

14. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Gotta love them hot The Satin Doll - 1931 RR Fixed Head Coupe rod machines. There's a lot of great stuff in the automotive world to keep us busy till the next millenium.
    QUOTE QUOTE #15