Close

Page 110 of 147 FirstFirst ... 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 ... LastLast
Results 1,636 to 1,650 of 2198
    1. Kit: Roger Zimmermann, by (Yearly Subscriber) Roger Zimmermann is online now
      Builder Last Online: May 2022 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/12 Rating:  (17 votes - 5.00 average) Thanks: 25
      Started: 05-17-12 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported Scratch Built

As stated in my presentation, I'm doing since 2 years a Continental Mark II, scale 1:12. Presently, I'm doing the floor; the trunk floor is ready. The next step is going towards the front by doing the floor under the rear seat. To spare metal and unnecessary reworks, I did first a model with cardboard. Now, it will be easier to cut the brass at the proper place.

Continental Mark II
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.

1. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Kit
    Roger Zimmermann
    Hello Paul,

A sort of humorous note of warning?!

A long time ago, a very long time ago, a customer to my model shop asked about using an oven to dry his model? -My suggestion was to place it in the oven as a clean warm place to dry. It worked. His paint on that particular model did look much better than his previous. I believe that his attention to preparation and cleanliness, and his application of paint was the key to his success. -he unfortunately focused on the temperature, warmth of a pilot flame, and thought to increase the heat. -to make this short, he brought in the last of a series of experiments, with temperature, and showed me a "deflated" die-cast 1/43rd, with a beautiful paint job! It looked just as though it had wilted, deflated, had the filling sucked out! But with a very pretty finish!

Another modeler was always in a hurry to finish his models, he was known locally for his very smooth but heavy gloss painting. He made models of airliners, and once showed me one that he had surfaced, primed and painted in one day, and decaled on the second day, and on the third used an acrylic Continental Mark II clear to finish.
    -What had happened was that he had not allowed enough time for any one of the applications to thoroughly dry and the last coating sealed all the previous in. What we discovered was that while hand polishing the outer film, it could be pushed around pulling the decals and under-painting with it! Literally you could twist it, but once so distorted it was not possible to return it to its original state.

Moral of the story is patience!

-Don
    -craftsmanship is a lifelong project of
    self-construction and self determination
    QUOTE QUOTE #1637

2. Jo NZ's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Jo
    Kit
    Roger Zimmermann
    When BBR started making 1/43 models with a stunning paint finish they used an old fridge with a 100W light bulb to provide low heat and a dust free atmosphere to dry the paint.
    QUOTE QUOTE #1638

3. PaulPK's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Paul
    Kit
    Roger Zimmermann
    Roger, the idea was to heat the part long after it had air dried. Before baking I could mare the paint with my finger nail. After baking the the paint finish was hard and my finger nail had no affect. I like the look of the paint and the finish appears durable. I wasn't sure if plastic fillers Continental Mark II could take the heat and an internet search hasn't provided an answer.
    QUOTE QUOTE #1639

4. PaulPK's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Paul
    Kit
    Roger Zimmermann
    Don, I learned that a long time ago...the hard way.
    QUOTE QUOTE #1640

5. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Kit
    Roger Zimmermann
    Hello Roger,

I have been re-reviewing most of your posts, and no one has ever created a chassis that itself would stand as a complete model. Not to this level of Zimmermanness! Until now.

Every twist, change of dimension, round or square in section. Every pass-through, threaded hole, hard mount. Even the C-channel into C-channel construction of the main rails. (Almost everybody would have made those as solid tubes.)

Is it possible to construct the rest of your model so the body could be removed? Right now as you are routing the various lines, some which would be anchored on both the frame and fender or fire-wall, locking in the two elements, body and chassis, could you, would you make it possible to display the chassis side by side with your models body? (It really is such a nice chassis!)

-Don
    QUOTE QUOTE #1641

6. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Thank you for your comments about the frame! I know that most of the details will be "lost" when the body is installed. Unfortunately, it's not possible to separate the body the easy way: the steering column is attached to the steering box, itself attached to the frame. The exhaust pipes from the manifolds are passing through a hole in the front wheel cages. To have a correct alignement of the front clip, the fenders are attached to the frame with screws; the same for the radiator support. There are other minor elements which are attached to the body and, indirectly, to the frame.
    I got a similar suggestion about the roof: why not have it removable to show the interior in a better way? Unfortunately, my construction is not precise enough to allow it and, as you saw, the roof is soldered to the lower body.
    The sole model for which your suggestion could ally was the Avanti. Only the steering and hand brake connect the body to the frame, but I will not make the necessary modifications...
    This would also be impossible for the Toronado: the rear springs are attached to the frame at the front and at the body at the rear: you probably know that the frame is ending right after the front door.

Continental Mark II
    QUOTE QUOTE #1642

7. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Another sub-assembly is ready: the rear axle. Before painting, the brake lines have been fabricated as well as the emergency brake cable. Due to a wrong interpretation from a picture, I had already done since years the cable, but in 2 pieces. I realized my error as the cable is not attached to the equalizer, but is going from one wheel to the other through that equalizer.
    Now, everything is grease and assembled; the emergency brake is functioning. It is not sure it will be operable from inside the car because the cable is doing a sharp curve over a pulley at the firewall; the cable is probably too stiff.
    I began also to paint all the small pieces which are ready like the booster/master cylinder, battery tray with the battery, and so on. Tedious, but rewarding.

Continental Mark II
    QUOTE QUOTE #1643

8. markus68's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Markus
    Very nice Job, Roger.
    QUOTE QUOTE #1644

9. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Kit
    Roger Zimmermann
    [I]
    Always beautiful work! Thank you for eight years of lessons in making!!

I have forgotten, is any part of this steel?

-Don
    [/I]
    QUOTE QUOTE #1645

10. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Thanks both for the comments!
    To Don: yes, the springs front and rear are steel. Plus various small parts which were made with stainless steel because brass was too weak as well as some shafts..

Continental Mark II
    QUOTE QUOTE #1646

11. PROPELLER's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Dan
    As usual, a lesson...
    Dan.
    QUOTE QUOTE #1647

12. PaulPK's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Paul
    Kit
    Roger Zimmermann
    Very rewarding indeed. Good job.
    QUOTE QUOTE #1648

13. Tage's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Daniel
    Kit
    Roger Zimmermann
    Looking good Rodger,'m glad to see you are still at it.
    I've Had two strokes in the last four years
    ,not very active on here aaanymore.
    Duke of Burl
    QUOTE QUOTE #1649

14. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Thanks for coming back, Daniel. Take care of your health, you just have one!

Continental Mark II
    QUOTE QUOTE #1650

15. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    For 2 weeks, on February first, I got a laser treatment to my right eye, to remove the effect of a secondary cataract. Since some time, I had a bad eye sight, especially during driving. By closing the left eye, I had the impression that there was a very heavy fog and I had the feeling that the left eye had the normal vision. After the intervention, it was almost like night and day! Now, I realize that the left eye has not a so good vision than the right one and I may treat that eye too in a not so distant future.
    Usually, I don’t relate here my little health problems, but this one had an influence on the model: before the intervention, I prepared the body as well as I could. Now, I’m seeing several flaws which need a correction…Another reason for the issues was probably not enough time to let dry the various products I’m using. Now, I’m back to the body preparation…

Continental Mark II
    QUOTE QUOTE #1651