Close

Page 103 of 104 FirstFirst ... 9899100101102103104 LastLast
Results 1,531 to 1,545 of 1546
    1. Kit: Roger Zimmermann, by (Yearly Subscriber) Roger Zimmermann is offline
      Builder Last Online: Nov 2017 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/12 Rating:  (16 votes - 5.00 average) Thanks: 23
      Started: 05-17-12 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported Scratch Built

As stated in my presentation, I'm doing since 2 years a Continental Mark II, scale 1:12. Presently, I'm doing the floor; the trunk floor is ready. The next step is going towards the front by doing the floor under the rear seat. To spare metal and unnecessary reworks, I did first a model with cardboard. Now, it will be easier to cut the brass at the proper place.

Continental Mark II
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Kit
    Roger Zimmermann
    Hello Roger!

Your leather looks very fine, is it the type intended for book binding?

-Don
    -craftsmanship is a lifelong project of
    self-construction and self determination
    QUOTE QUOTE #1532

2. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Don, it could be. I have it since ages...and don't remember where I bought it, with one exception: 2 pieces are covered with a light blue leather. I bought it for the Avanti and I still have some. It was thick: about 1 mm, which is way too thick for a model. By accident, I discovered that I could peel the back, keeping just the outer skin. That work sometimes is frustrating because the adhesion is too great and the skin is tearing. That remaining blue leather is very difficult to peel without accident.
    Some parts from the picture are covered with a dark brown leather. At first, it was more than 1 mm thick; by using the same technique, have a skin 0.1 mm thick.

Continental Mark II
    QUOTE QUOTE #1533

3. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Kit
    Roger Zimmermann
    Wouldn't it be easier to find some really small cows?
    QUOTE QUOTE #1534

4. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Or mouses?

Continental Mark II
    QUOTE QUOTE #1535

5. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Kit
    Roger Zimmermann
    -A friend of mine is one of the "Legendary" upholstery guys here in Southern California. Little John. -I asked him "What has been the strangest or
    most difficult / expensive material that he'd ever worked with?" He doesn't work exclusively with concept cars, he has done a lot of sports cars, and has had to accommodate the rich and powerful many times! Well? his answer was "Frog skin"! African frogs are big enough and you can sew a bunch of them
    together to get the job done.
    QUOTE QUOTE #1536

6. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Frog skin?! Interesting...Sure, my leather is coming from some different animals!

Continental Mark II
    QUOTE QUOTE #1537

7. Haddewade's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Mark
    Kit
    Roger Zimmermann
    Continental Mark II
    To thinnen Leather you can split it. Here's what I mean.

QUOTE QUOTE #1538

8. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Quote Originally Posted by Haddewade View Post
    To thinnen Leather you can split it. Here's what I mean.
    Sorry for the late reply: I had no Internet for about 10days...Anyway, thank you for that video!
    The system you are showing is OK for a rather thick leather. Try it with a skin which is 0.012" thick which should be reduced to 0.004"...

Continental Mark II
    QUOTE QUOTE #1539

9. Haddewade's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Mark
    Kit
    Roger Zimmermann
    No problem, although I think that youre example is a bit off from reality, 0.012" is 0.3 mm, that's already very very very thin......
    QUOTE QUOTE #1540

10. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Continental Mark II
    Are you sure Mark? I have an original Cadillac leather sample: thickness 1.3 mm. Another sample from a leather supplier: 1.5 mm. When divided by 12, we are not far away from 0.1mm!

For 8 days, due to an outside “repair”, we had no phone, TV nor Internet; very annoying! The positive aspect: I was less distracted and I could spend more time with the model. Many leather trim parts could be painted; this allowed me to install definitively some chrome parts. As usual, when parts are plated Continental Mark II , even if the coat is very thin, there can be some problems like I had to insert the A/C levers into their respective slots.

When parts are covered with leather, even a very thin one, there are also difficulties to assemble elements, even if some play was considered during fabrication. Up to now, I could overcome the difficulties without damages. You see below some elements which are ready or, like the front seat, in preparation. The “cushions” for the seat back are not yet covered with leather, this is the next task. The robe cord for the seat back is also missing, the escutcheons must be chromed first.

I like the look of the lower door trim panels; I pictured the back of the LH panel; will I be able to connect all those wires?

Continental Mark II
    QUOTE QUOTE #1541

11. BrassBuilder's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Mike
    Wow!
    My website:
    http://www.firesteelhobbies.com/index.html

Feel free to look around. I have all of my projects on the website.
    QUOTE QUOTE #1542

12. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Kit
    Roger Zimmermann
    Hello Roger!

I have been worrying about your chrome? Did everything plate well? Your little "lobster trap" worried me -I hope everything is as it was planned to be!

Your upholstering looks pretty good to me! (You can always shave back on the "cushions" to help the appearance of the leather)(I wrote that for the benefit of others, your work looks GREAT!)

Does your work bench have that "New Car Smell" yet? -or is it too soon?

-Don
    QUOTE QUOTE #1543

13. markus68's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Markus
    Great work. Markus
    QUOTE QUOTE #1544

14. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Thanks Mike, Markus and Don! I don't understand what you mean with "you can shave back on the cushions to help...." Is that before or after the leather is glued to the support? I did explained some time ago that I'm gluing Continental Mark II the leather and once dry, it is painted with the airbrush Continental Mark II .

The "lobster trap" was, this time, not good at all. Parts, mostly letters, were sticking at the mesh or together. They are presently back to the plater with the lower front bumper which had an adhesion problem. The larger parts in that cage will be attached to a tree Continental Mark II and be chromed; only the letters will go back into the cage. It was modified with the addition of a lid because I don't have some mesh anymore and with my previous method, it was not possible to have a look inside unless one face was cut away. After polishing, the letters will go back into the lobster trap with the hope they will be better plated Continental Mark II .

Up to now, no new car smell because the various odors can escape so easily!

Continental Mark II
    Last edited by Roger Zimmermann; 11-15-17 at 03:41 AM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #1545

15. Haddewade's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Mark
    Kit
    Roger Zimmermann
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Zimmermann View Post
    Are you sure Mark? I have an original Cadillac leather sample: thickness 1.3 mm. Another sample from a leather supplier: 1.5 mm. When divided by 12, we are not far away from 0.1mm!
    Roger,

Scalewise ure on the money, but it is just so thin, that's all I saying/ment to say.

The leather work looks nice!
    QUOTE QUOTE #1546