Close

Page 94 of 104 FirstFirst ... 8990919293949596979899 ... LastLast
Results 1,396 to 1,410 of 1555
    1. Kit: Roger Zimmermann, by (Yearly Subscriber) Roger Zimmermann is offline
      Builder Last Online: Dec 2017 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/12 Rating:  (16 votes - 5.00 average) Thanks: 23
      Started: 05-17-12 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported Scratch Built

As stated in my presentation, I'm doing since 2 years a Continental Mark II, scale 1:12. Presently, I'm doing the floor; the trunk floor is ready. The next step is going towards the front by doing the floor under the rear seat. To spare metal and unnecessary reworks, I did first a model with cardboard. Now, it will be easier to cut the brass at the proper place.

Continental Mark II
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    It was a flat piece of brass 1mm thick. The excess metal was removed by milling and with files. The long tail was useful to held the part during the work; it will be useful to solder the emblem to the tree Continental Mark II for plating.
    I hope my explanation is understandable.

Continental Mark II
    QUOTE QUOTE #1397

2. markus68's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Markus
    It is understandable. Thank you.
    QUOTE QUOTE #1398

3. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Continental Mark II
    Another point of no return: after finishing the shell for the headliner, I decided that it was time to solder the roof to the body. I hope that I will not find the hard way that it was too early, but now the door is open to think at the body finishing.

Continental Mark II
    QUOTE QUOTE #1399

4. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Continental Mark II
    As we enjoy a nice weather since a few days, I decided that it was time to give a new coat of primer Continental Mark II on the body as well as on some parts from the dash board. To get at this, I did some panel corrections and I had a bright idea: to wash to body into the dishwasher. I choose the shortest program with the lowest temperature. The result was brilliant: the previous primer Continental Mark II coat peeled! Not everywhere, just on exposed elements like the sills and the top of rear fenders. Why? I don't know. I suppose it was the combined action of heat, washer and washer's impact. Heat alone can be discarded: I soft soldered many items on the body by just removing a stripe of primer Continental Mark II ; even the heat of the soldering iron had no effect at the primer Continental Mark II . I will never again use the dishwasher to clean scale model parts!
    I sanded the damaged primer Continental Mark II and sprayed yesterday a good coat of primer Continental Mark II on the body, doors, hood (which fall on the floor during the process), trunk lid and other parts. I came to the conclusion that spray cans are much more convenient to use that an airbrush Continental Mark II with 2-k paint!

On the pictures, the body is again on the frame: it just more convenient to have it here until the paint is totally cured.

Continental Mark II
    QUOTE QUOTE #1400

5. markus68's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Markus
    Markus
    QUOTE QUOTE #1401

6. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Kit
    Roger Zimmermann
    Mr. Zimmermann, Is it time for a family photo? Avanti, Toronado, and Continental too!

Thank you for the lesson, I will not put my models in the dishwasher.

And thank you for sharing and teaching!

In my minds eye, I see your model in an ever changing spectrum of colors! The last few days I was in Dallas Texas, and I was showing your posts to a friend while at lunch and our waiter asked to see "The Best Scratchbuilt-You've ever seen!" (my words), and he took my phone over to another, and then another patron joined in the viewing. -You now have at least two more fans in Texas!

As always thank you! -Don
    QUOTE QUOTE #1402

7. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Continental Mark II
    Don, nice to know that I have more followers! And, just for you, quick pictures from my "garage". Obviously, I would need more space to make decent pictures with all 3 together!

Continental Mark II
    QUOTE QUOTE #1403

8. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Kit
    Roger Zimmermann
    Thank you! -Don
    QUOTE QUOTE #1404

9. RAT23's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    TOM
    Very nice roger
    QUOTE QUOTE #1405

10. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Continental Mark II
    The last few days, I prepared the hood and trunk lid for that paint test. As I can judge, the hood will need very little improvement to be almost perfect; the trunk lid will require more work.
    Unfortunately, the paint cans I bought have both rather coarse metallic Continental Mark II particles. The colors themselves are not bad, but I will have to search for a finer metallic Continental Mark II effect.
    Which color do you prefer? Here are my remarks about the colors:

Blue: the same paint could be used for the console and glove box, with a satin coat over the blue. Inconvenient: I will have to let prepare paint for the blue leather trim in the same hue.
    Dark gray: with that paint, I could use some red leather inside, but I will have to let prepare paint for the console and glove box in the same hue as the leather.
    One picture was done with the flash Continental Mark II , the other one without it.

Continental Mark II
    QUOTE QUOTE #1406

11. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Kit
    Roger Zimmermann
    Beautiful choices! I have always liked red interiors, but I also prefer the blue exterior! -I assume the lower photo is the flash Continental Mark II ? (the metallic Continental Mark II grey looks true)
    -If your using an airbrush Continental Mark II ? you might check into your local art supply shops, as they often have acrylic Continental Mark II paints in a great variety of metallic Continental Mark II and pearlescent. These are thinner Continental Mark II and finer than most spray cans, but are most likely matte in finish, requiring a clear gloss to then be applied. Don't use the tubed paints, but those that are used as inks, or specially formulated for airbrush Continental Mark II work. (This field has grown a lot in the last seven years!)

-You didn't secretly make a second car? It would be nice to polish THAT one back to bare metal and clear coat Continental Mark II it!

Beautiful choices!

-Don
    QUOTE QUOTE #1407

12. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Thanks Don!
    My recent experience with that air brush and surfacer is telling me that my results will be better with spray cans as my 2 previous models can attest. I just have to find the right paint. Anyway, I found it for the Avanti and Toronado.
    No secret second model, unfortunately!

Continental Mark II
    QUOTE QUOTE #1408

13. Scott H.'s Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Scott
    Hello Roger, I think that a car like this needs the dark gray color - it just says luxury like this car was meant to be. Thanks for you great work!
    QUOTE QUOTE #1409

14. markus68's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Markus
    Is this your paint job?
    QUOTE QUOTE #1410

15. PaulPK's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Paul
    Kit
    Roger Zimmermann
    As you stated, large metal flakes are out of scale. Reminds me of a model of my 73 Mustang I painted the same metallic Continental Mark II green as my car. Doesn't look in scale. Since you are adverse to an air brush, there is a website I use for my real vehicles that offer custom spray cans.

The hood and trunk lid look great coated but neither of those colors strikes me from that era if that is your objective.

Paul
    QUOTE QUOTE #1411