Close

Page 90 of 94 FirstFirst ... 85868788899091929394 LastLast
Results 1,336 to 1,350 of 1398
    1. Kit: Roger Zimmermann, by (Yearly Subscriber) Roger Zimmermann is offline
      Builder Last Online: Mar 2017 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/12 Rating:  (16 votes - 5.00 average) Thanks: 22
      Started: 05-17-12 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported Scratch Built

As stated in my presentation, I'm doing since 2 years a Continental Mark II, scale 1:12. Presently, I'm doing the floor; the trunk floor is ready. The next step is going towards the front by doing the floor under the rear seat. To spare metal and unnecessary reworks, I did first a model with cardboard. Now, it will be easier to cut the brass at the proper place.

Continental Mark II
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. happyfreddy's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    freddy
    Looking great Roger !!! Hope You have much fun to assemble all parts
    QUOTE QUOTE #1337

2. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Kit
    Roger Zimmermann
    Looking very good! Should look even better assembled!
    QUOTE QUOTE #1338

3. markus68's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    Markus
    Looking great. I also have a lot of parts to chrome-plate. My question: is it very expensive?
    QUOTE QUOTE #1339

4. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    I pay CHF 50.- for each batch, which is about $ 50.00 or € 47.00. On one side it's a lot, but at the end you need it to have nice parts...This time, there were two batches as the grill had a different treatment. I just had to pay CHF 50.-! As it's without invoice, it's pure gross profit. However, with 2 or 3 batches per year, the guy will not get rich!

Continental Mark II
    QUOTE QUOTE #1340

5. markus68's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    Markus
    Thank you Roger. Now i know what is coming up to me.
    QUOTE QUOTE #1341

6. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Good luck! I hope for you that you will find a company willing to do the job and not far away from you!

Continental Mark II
    QUOTE QUOTE #1342

7. markus68's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    Markus
    Thanks. I hope so too.
    QUOTE QUOTE #1343

8. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Continental Mark II
    Today, I have some good news to report and one not so good: last Friday, I got back the chrome batch and I was very satisfied. You may imagine that I began to assemble the grille and bumpers. I could not believe what I saw at the lower front bumper: the chrome was peeling on two surfaces! OK, this is not the end of the world, but annoying as I will have to let dechrome the lower part, polish it and give it back. Why that misshapen? I just don’t know. Maybe I will get an explanation when I go to the plating company. Depending of your screen, you can see one of the problem as a small point under the parking lamp at the left of the picture.
    Fortunately, the grille and rear bumper are nice. By looking at the grille picture, you may notice a light yellow hue; this is caused by the nickel plating. Disturbing? a little bit, but only by looking at specific positions. Anyway, it’s better than no chrome at all on the grille.

As the major elements are no more assembled, it’s a good opportunity to add details to the engine and transmission. Those details are time consuming; when I had a large element ready, I skipped the details to go to another large assembly. Now, I have to do them…I began with the speedometer adapter at the transmission; I added also the oil filler tube, taking care that it does not touch the frame.

It was then the turn for the heater tubes, 2 each side. The upper ones (hot water) are attached to the heads and the lower ones at the water pump, allowing the coolant to return to the engine. The RH lower tube was critical because it is very near from the upper suspension lever. Fortunately, I had just enough space.

An interesting addition is the 4 heat shields just under the exhaust manifolds. On the real car, 4 spacers per side are added on top of the heat shields; the spacer’s role is still not completely explained. As I don’t have long enough bolts, I had to do mini spacers!

A last addition is the oil pressure sender, next to the oil filter. The next additions will be the various vacuum lines at the intake manifold, carb and distributor.

Continental Mark II
    QUOTE QUOTE #1344

9. Scott H.'s Avatar Member
    Name
    Scott
    Roger, your build is amazing to say the least. Thanks for sharing it with us in such great detail. I look for your posts every morning as part of my morning routine. Keep up the great work.
    QUOTE QUOTE #1345

10. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Thanks Scott! As you noticed, most of the time there is no update, but it does not means I'm doing nothing!

Continental Mark II
    QUOTE QUOTE #1346

11. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Kit
    Roger Zimmermann
    Mr. Zimmermann! Your model of the Y block engine IS a model all to itself! And I as well, look forward to every update! There must be great satisfaction in work so well done! Your radiator, the Hub-caps, creating all the optics in the headlight lenses! Each of these are aspects of a masterpiece! Thank you for sharing, -oh yeah! What is your favorite red wine? - I'll buy a bottle and toast your continuing achievements! Thank you again. -Don
    QUOTE QUOTE #1347

12. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Thanks Don! My favorite red wine? I have nice bottles in the cellar from Bourgogne/France. I like also the Cabernet-Sauvignon from the US; the Hess collection is one of my favorites; Northstar is good too; we bought it because of the Northstar system (1993 till 2011, engine and transmission) at Cadillac!
    There are many excellent and sometimes very expensive/exclusive wines from the US which can compete with the best ones from Europe. Cheers!

Continental Mark II
    QUOTE QUOTE #1348

13. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Continental Mark II
    The various lines for vacuum and fuel have been added on the engine. One is still to be done: the line going from the fuel/vacuum pump, located on the driver side, to the vacuum distribution, located on the passenger side. I will have to look at a real car to get more info.

Continental Mark II
    QUOTE QUOTE #1349

14. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Continental Mark II
    The air cleaner and cap from the steering pump are secured with a chromed star nut. I did them this week; each nut is an assembly of 3 parts silver soldered. I added also the arm at the air cleaner intake tube which open or close the warm/cold air for the induction. As the arm and tube are both brass, the arm, inside the elbow, is rather hard to see. It’s not very large either…

Some of you may not understand why there is an engine as, since the beginning on this forum, you don't see its construction. Well, I did the engine and frame before I began to relate this adventure here.

Continental Mark II
    QUOTE QUOTE #1350

15. PaulPK's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Paul
    Kit
    Roger Zimmermann
    Perfect, just perfect! Did you solder the transmission, bell housing and block together or do your scale bolts hold them together?
    Paul
    QUOTE QUOTE #1351